My name is Nicole, and I like reduced-fat cheese!

Options
Specifically: Cabot 50% reduced-fat sharp white cheddar, mini babybel light and Sargento reduced-fat string cheese in mozarella, colby-jack and sharp cheddar.

I also enjoy 2% Greek yogurt, reduced-fat sour cream and milk anywhere from skim to 2%.

However, completely fat-free cheese is an abomination!

I find that, with the particular sorts of cheese I enjoy, the full-fat versions seem greasy to me, particularily when melted.

P.S. I also enjoy light mayo with olive oil!

Replies

• annaskiski
    annaskiski Posts: 1,212 Member
    Options
    I like the reduced fat string cheese in mozzarella. I'll try the cheddar versions....

Are you mixing the light mayo with olive oil?
  • nicsflyingcircus
    nicsflyingcircus Posts: 2,566 Member
    Options
    No, I buy the Kraft Light Mayo with Olive Oil. Honestly, about the only thing I use it for it tuna, or mixed 50/50 with dijon mustard as a dip when I eat cold pork tenderloin (ie, leftovers).
  • tulips_and_tea
    tulips_and_tea Posts: 5,717 Member
    Options
    That's definitely a trial and error thing - some low-fat cheese are good, others, not so much.

I do like the Fage 2% Greek yogurt. And if I do Blue Cheese crumbles or feta to top a salad I go low fat. There's so much sodium in those, though, that's what you have to watch out for.
  • LauraFoxGinn
    LauraFoxGinn Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I love low fat cheese too, which is great because before I started dieting I used to live on cheese!

Some types are pretty bad when melted, but the Sainsbury's healthy make is nice.

I lurve low fat sour cream too. Can't get enough of it!
  • psmd
    psmd Posts: 764 Member
    Options
    I love Laughing Cow (almost all the flavors, most are 35 cals/wedge), put them on deli sandwiches or mixed in with eggs.

Full fat cheeses I still eat are Bulgarian feta, and sometimes an aged cheddar or Brie with crackers and fruit.

But the laughing cow is a staple for me!
  • whovian67
    whovian67 Posts: 608 Member
    Options
    I like Frigo light cheese mozarella sticks, laughing cow cheeselike wedges... all the stuff has bookooos of sodium but worth it.......
    agree. fat free mozarella feels like string rubber in my mouth.. and chew and chew and chew.... and it's still like a piece of rubber...
  • ladymiseryali
    ladymiseryali Posts: 2,555 Member
    Options
    Only full-fat dairy for this lady!
  • geebusuk
    geebusuk Posts: 3,348 Member
    Options
    Isn't completely fat free cheese basically a protein shake/powder/etc?

Despite being somewhere around maintenance (I typically eat just under 3000 calories a day at the moment, often more), I do like my low fat cheese because I can eat an 'ok' amount of it.

Particularly like the weight watchers cheddar which is around 215 calories per 100g and 30g protein to 10g fat - better than some meats and so on! It's not cheap, but they've had it a little better priced at Sainsburys recently.

Aldi low fat mozarella seems to be low fat because they've replaced it with water; you have to ring it out first!... but is cheap, at least.