Fitbit - Benefits and thoughts??

Options
Hello all!
I've been pondering a FitBit and my mother has offered to get me one. I"m a little skeptical, mostly because of the data gathering and storage (privacy, etc). But I would actually like to have that data for myself and the use. I wanted to get some feedback on what others have been using it for and how you like yours? (what colour yours is too... just for fun!) Do you wear it constantly or just certain times? Which model are you using as well? They have several, but the one that's a bracelet will probably be the one I get.

Just wondering what you guys think. I'd love some actual feed back from those not related to me! :wink:

Replies

• nicoletteamber
    nicoletteamber Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Hi! So I put on about 10 lbs in 2013. For Christmas my mom bought me the Fitbit force (the one that was recalled). I lost 6 lbs end of Dec to early May using it. Fell off the wagon for summer fun but I'm back to wearing it daily this month and have lost another 2 lbs. I absolutely love the heck out of it. I don't go a day without it. It pairs with your mfp account so it'll tell you how many calories you've eaten and have left, and then on your mfp account it'll tell you how much steps you've done and how much you have left to eat. It holds me even more accountable. I never knew that on a down day I could literally walk less than a mile <3,000 steps, which was sad. So I'm walking a minimum of 5 miles a day now >14,000 steps a day. I track all my exercise in my fitbit app.

Anyways the force was the greatest one out there, I have the blue one. It didn't give me any skin problems so I kept on using it. However do your research to see if you want one to wear on your wrist or one in your pocket. If you want the wrist one it may be worth holding out for the replacement of the force coming out Sept-Oct. It's the best thing ever.
  • weavernv
    weavernv Posts: 1,555 Member
    Options
    I have the one that you are supposed to wear on your "pocket". I wear it on my bra. I wear it all the time. It is really good for accountability. I really didn't know how few steps I was walking. I walk at lunch now since I have a sit down job and I make sure to get up and walk around. I Love having one. They are very beneficial. I love that it pairs with my MFP account.
  • christylynn622
    christylynn622 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    do you eat all the exercise calories back, even the fitbit adjustment ones?
  • nicoletteamber
    Options
    So I had a problem figuring out calories and macros. I was eating 1200 calories and 30ish for each macronutrient and never eating back my exercise calories. I lost weight (muscle mass) and no body fat. I read this article on Sunday http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/macro-math-3-keys-to-dialing-in-your-macro-ratios.html. So I'm doing 1400-1500 cal and then macros are 40p/40f/20c. If I've done for example a lottttt of exercise gym, insanity, and take the dogs on a walk, I'll have an extra protein shake or an extra tablespoon of peanut butter, but don't eat the calories back. It's hard for me since i work 12 hour shifts and have to plan lunch dinner and snacks in between it's already a full lunch bag for 1400 cal. There's just not a lot of prep time and sometimes I just don't know till the end of the day that I'm super low on calories. It depends on your goal and how your body feels! Hope that helps.
  • lnxjenn
    lnxjenn Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    I think the one she was going to get me was the bracelet one. I forget what it is called. I'm curious how it is able to count the steps! My mom is doing 15000 steps a day. She will only go to where it buzzes her! hahaha. She thinks its motivating. Accountability is always good for me as well. I'm not sure i'd do as well with the clip ones. I'm more likely to wear it and forget about it. But I can't even remember to put my pedometer on! Not to mention, it's fallen off so many times. I actually lost my previous one because it fell off somewhere.

I never eat my workout calories (or try not to!) but I don't usually want or need to eat them anyways.
  • WalkingAlong
    WalkingAlong Posts: 4,926 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't worry about privacy. All they know about you is about what MFP asks-- height, weight, gender, etc. The data resides on their servers and isn't shared. I've been a member for 5 years and have never had any issues.
  • nicoletteamber
    Options
    Yeah it's great for accountability! Sounds like you might want the flex then it's the wrist one. I only take it off to charge once a week.