Tight Budget and weightloss

Options
Just wanting to see if anyone else out there is like me and on a really tight budget when it comes to food. I pretty much live paycheck to paycheck and am trying to save extra cash to pay off some things. So with this happening, it is hard to buy all the things I would like food wise to help me lose weight.
With that said....does anyone have any tips, advice, or great recipe ideas for someone on a tight budget. Anything would help and I'm not really that picky of an eater when it comes to food, there are only a few things i dont like. Any and all suggestions will be appreciated!!! Thanks!!

Replies

• shabaity
    shabaity Posts: 791 Member
    Options
    Buy stuff that is on sale and prep meals in advance little more up front cost but long term is cheaper. but only if you have the freezer space.
  • vismal
    vismal Posts: 2,463 Member
    Options
    Farmers markets for fruits and vegetables. You get way more for your dollar compared to grocery stores. This does rely on one being near your location though. If you can bite the bullet and spend 40 bucks for a Sam's club membership, the savings over the course of the year are IMO 100% worth it. Chicken breast at 1.80/lb 144 servings of oats for 8 bucks, cereal in the mega box, 12 dozen eggs for under 10 bucks, Greek yogurt for cheap. If you don't mind eating the same things a lot, this is a decent method.

I have a YouTube video on budget friendly sources of protein. http://youtu.be/X_bC1WATxqY
    Protein often times tends to be the more expensive thing to buy as carbs can be easily had for cheap in the form of bread, pasta, and rice.

I'd avoid eating out as it is usually not weight loss friendly (though it can be if you choose wisely), but it is almost never budget friendly. Don't be brand specific. Get what's on sale. As long as you track everything in myfitnesspal and meet your calorie and macro nutrient goals for the day, what you eat doesn't much matter for weight loss.
  • cmazurek85
    cmazurek85 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    keeping it simple will help. if you eat to the amount of calories you should be eating, you will spend less on food! I would suggest protien (fresh or frozen -- whatever is on sale), frozen vegetables, and frozen fruit. Fresh produce may be cheaper right now if you could get it locally. eggs are cheap.

have you considered purchasing in bulk? I see you're located in KY. Do you have sam's club, bj's, or costco nearby? you should be able to buy bulk meat at a lower price. the upfront cost may be more, but pound for pound, unless your local supermarket is having a sale, its cheaper to purchase from them. When you start to buy "ready made" foods is when it could get expensive. for the price you'd pay for say, a lean cruisine meal, you could make double that with a ton of nutrition. you could buy a bulk bag of brown rice from an asian food market and portion out EXACTLY the amount of rice you'd need to consume to fit your daily calories. Finally, eating eggs and veggies or just eggs in the AM is amazing and cheap. my fav recipe is poached eggs, sweet potato, and steamed kale. delicious!

good luck!
  • cmazurek85
    cmazurek85 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    also if you have a friend who has a bulk market membership, they can take you into the store and let you use their membership. I do that ALL THE TIME!
  • bohemian124
    bohemian124 Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    Buy as little processed food as you can. It is more expensive, less nutritious, and you get less out of it. Buy in bulk if possible. This doesn't necessarily mean buy everything at a bulk store like Costco, but some stores like Whole Foods have bulk aisles for grains, pasta, dried fruit, and other ingredients. Sometimes they even have spices in bulk, so you can get just a little bit of a spice instead of wasting money on a bottle you may not go through. You don't need to buy 10 pounds of anything, I usually go for 1/2-1 pound in the bulk aisle, sometimes more if it's a product I use often.

EX: Minute rice is great and all, but you will pay way less if you buy rice in the 1 lb bag or in the bulk aisle. Same for oatmeal - I buy steel cut and rolled oats in the bulk aisle, rather than the prepackaged oatmeal. Buy dried beans in bulk instead of canned (way more bang for your buck). Buy lettuce and other greens whole instead of bagged, and veggies whole instead of pre-chopped. If you eat a lot of meat, buy that in bulk, not pre-chopped, marinated, etc.

You may also try to find a blog that has the grocery deals in your area. I live in Phoenix and use www.thecentsableshoppin.com. They break down the deals at each local grocery store and match with any insert or printable coupons to help you get the best deals. These blogs are all over, and they can be really helpful.
  • StaciMarie1974
    StaciMarie1974 Posts: 4,138 Member
    Options
    One theory: buy what you were buying before. Except eat less/portion control. So you're eating less.
  • bwogilvie
    bwogilvie Posts: 2,130 Member
    Options
    You don't need to buy anything special for weight loss; eat what you've been eating but less of it. However, some things do make you feel more full: protein, fat, and fiber. If you combine legumes (beans, lentils, chickpeas) with brown rice, you get complete protein and a fair amount of fiber. And rice and beans are cheap. That's one reason that rice with legumes is a common part of many different peasant cuisines around the world.

Dried legumes are a lot cheaper than canned ones, and you can control how much they're cooked. Soaking them makes them cook more quickly but it's not absolutely necessary; lentils and split peas don't need soaking. Rice in large bags will be cheaper than smaller packages, as long as you have a cool, dry, dark place to store it. Frozen vegetables are almost as nutritious as fresh, and if you look for deals, they're often cheaper. You can also check out farmers' markets: some of them are upscale and expensive, but others are cheaper than the supermarket. There's a list of Kentucky markets here:
    http://www.kyagr.com/marketing/farmers-market-directory.aspx

Spices are a cheap way to liven up rice and beans. Louisville is probably big enough to have an Asian grocery store. You can usually get spices at them a lot cheaper than a supermarket, plus you can get cheap rice there (though it's often white rice). Some spices are worth splurging on: a $6 bottle of smoked Spanish paprika will add a delicious smoky flavor for only a few cents per serving.

Use meat as a flavoring, rather than as the main part of a meal, unless you get a good deal on it. Canned fish (tuna and salmon) is a good source of inexpensive protein (cheaper than fresh). Eggs are also a good, fairly cheap form of protein.

There are plenty more tips on eating well on a budget. Epicurious has some interesting recipe suggestions:
    http://www.epicurious.com/on-a-budget-recipes
  • annpatalexa
    annpatalexa Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I didn't read the other answers and I'm a bad person for that but my phone is being dumb.

*Shop Sales for starters.
    *Skip Junk Food
    *Some of the stores near me have "value fruit/veggies" its stuff thats best used ASAP and about to go. But I'll get a dozen bananas for 0.90 and make Banana bread or muffins. But they also sometimes put together "stew starters' that have veggies that are good for stew
    *The super market that does that also does that in the Deli section with End Cuts. If I'm doing cold cuts for lunch I'll get them off there. If I'm really luck (really really lucky) they, they'll have my favorite selections.
    *Shop store brand foods.

I date a vegetarian so 1 packet of chicken lasts me 2 to 3 weeks since we do vegetarian most nights. But Dried beans and canned beans are great money savers.

Major Point: Plan out your shopping list and stick to it. If you want to add something to it make sure you'll use it in the week.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    One theory: buy what you were buying before. Except eat less/portion control. So you're eating less.

This ^
  • caracrawford1
    caracrawford1 Posts: 657 Member
    Options
    keeping it simple will help. if you eat to the amount of calories you should be eating, you will spend less on food! I would suggest protien (fresh or frozen -- whatever is on sale), frozen vegetables, and frozen fruit. Fresh produce may be cheaper right now if you could get it locally. eggs are cheap.

have you considered purchasing in bulk? I see you're located in KY. Do you have sam's club, bj's, or costco nearby? you should be able to buy bulk meat at a lower price. the upfront cost may be more, but pound for pound, unless your local supermarket is having a sale, its cheaper to purchase from them. When you start to buy "ready made" foods is when it could get expensive. for the price you'd pay for say, a lean cruisine meal, you could make double that with a ton of nutrition. you could buy a bulk bag of brown rice from an asian food market and portion out EXACTLY the amount of rice you'd need to consume to fit your daily calories. Finally, eating eggs and veggies or just eggs in the AM is amazing and cheap. my fav recipe is poached eggs, sweet potato, and steamed kale. delicious!

good luck!
    That is so true. I noticed, all of a sudden that my grocery bill has come way down since I'm eating what I'm supposed to. I can actually make my butter container last two months(it was only lasting three weeks before)
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,742 Member
    Options
    This may not apply to you at all, OP. But my ideas are a little different.

I definitely agree with all of the other fantastic food related ideas that you have been given, but is it possible at all to lower some of your other expenses?

I understand tight budget could mean there's REALLY no wiggle room - and you may be at the mercy of a household of others who like things a certain way, or contracts you can't get out of...but just for the heck of it here are some ideas I would suggest:

~cutting out cable/satellite/Netflix/whatever and streaming content online or even borrowing DVDs (remember those?) from your local library

~going with a provider like ting (or something else cheap) for phone service, and/or cutting back your phone/data plan if applicable

~drinking only at home if you drink

~cutting out the little extras that you don't really need wherever you can. I may be overly frugal in some ways but some of the stuff that I do is like, using cloth dish towels exclusively so I never have to buy paper towels...using multi-purpose cleaning products instead of separate ones for each task...stuff like that. When it comes to toiletries I find that I can't skimp on shampoo, moisturizer, foundation...but can go w/ cheaper products for body wash, mascara & eyeliner. Just some ideas.
  • lauraeisenman1
    lauraeisenman1 Posts: 30 Member
    Options

I definitely agree with all of the other fantastic food related ideas that you have been given, but is it possible at all to lower some of your other expenses?

AMEN, SISTER! We make certain things priorities in our lives, and somehow manage to budget for them. Food is one of those things that's totally worth the investment. Which would you rather spend money on - good, healthy food or medications?
  • fanceegirl75
    fanceegirl75 Posts: 620 Member
    Options
    I visit my local .99 cent store weekly for all my fresh fruits and veggies. If you have a similar market I would suggest that or even the farmers market for those items. Cook in the crockpot. I throw a whole chicken in mine. You get a juicy tender chicken that's better than a rotissere and you can eat several meals off of that. Good luck!
  • enterdanger
    enterdanger Posts: 2,447 Member
    Options
    Farmers markets for fruits and vegetables.

This. Some farmer's markets also carry bulk containers of some of the less expensive heritage grains like quinoa (which I think is not tasty) and bulger wheat (which I do like). Super cheap.
  • Inshape13
    Inshape13 Posts: 680 Member
    Options
    One of the things that we have done is to eat vegetarian once a week and beans are a great way to get in fiber and protein without spending a ton of money. We do them in a stew/soup-1 bag of beans soaked(lentils or black eyes are good) 1 can of diced tomato, half a small onion diced, 1t of garlic, 1T of olive oil, 2 medium carrots, 1 large potato, 2 stalks of celery, salt, pepper and 1t of Harissa.(Mediterranean hot sauce) Soak the beans and then in a different pan combine the celery, onions, oil and garlic and cook them down then add in the rest and bring to a boil and reduce to simmer. When the carrots are soft it should be ready. It is great to freeze and really delicious too.
  • ponycyndi
    ponycyndi Posts: 858 Member
    Options
    Two things I've done that make the biggest difference for the least amount of effort:

1. Don't let anything go to waste.
    2. Eat less.

I started out (before I was calorie counting) by eating only until I wasn't hungry, instead of eating til I could eat no more. The other was to eat the leftovers no one else wanted (at another meal, not on top of my own) and those little bits that weren't worth saving before, suddenly could be a whole meal or even a snack.

Like a few bites of leftover meat and veggies were an omelet the next day.
  • bohemian124
    bohemian124 Posts: 153 Member
    Options

*Some of the stores near me have "value fruit/veggies" its stuff thats best used ASAP and about to go. But I'll get a dozen bananas for 0.90 and make Banana bread or muffins.

I do the same thing, but I let the bananas get super ripe on the counter, then cut them up and throw them in the freezer for smoothies. Sometimes I can even get a whole bag of organic bananas for $0.90, which is a good deal!
  • Snip8241
    Snip8241 Posts: 767 Member
    Options
    Dinner leftovers are always lunch the next day...even weekends.
    Buy protein in bulk to save per pound, then freeze in portions. ie chicken breasts or tenderloins.
    Veggies are prepped when they come home and are never wasted. A little old? Make soup! Then freeze leftovers.

I agree look elsewhere to decrease spending. Coffee is always made at home and taken with. No Starbucks etc.
    net flicks. No HBO or Showtime.
    No bar drinks. Too expensive.

Portion control helps save money. I had to resort to it when my grocery bills topped 350/ week. I was feeding an offensive lineman ( my son) so I had to do something!
  • shayjay91
    Options
    Farmers markets, grocery outlet centers, there are a lot of options. I know where you are coming from and its so easy and cheaper to eat out or pick up something quick and easy. Its cheaper to feed a family of say four at a fast food joint then it is to sit down and have a healthy balanced meal together and thats a huge problem our country faces. Whats helped me is portion control and eating small meals through out the day. Breakfast, snack, lunch, snack and dinner...this is a great place for advice and you just have to find what works for you...trial and error. Good luck and stay focused!!!!
  • wizzybeth
    wizzybeth Posts: 3,573 Member
    Options
    Actually a cooked rotisserie chicken is a great deal - $6 and it's ready to eat and you should get more than two meals - probably two meals plus some leftover for tossing in a salad.