Changed Tastes

Options
wizzybeth
wizzybeth Posts: 3,573 Member
There are a few threads floating around that get a lot of attention regarding "no no" foods or stuff you've banned from your life to meet your weight loss goals.

As I thought about it, a lot of the foods I used to eat a LOT of just simply no longer appeal to me. After eating more nutrient dense, whole foods, foods without high fructose corn syrup, etc. I find that a lot of the "old stuff' has just lost appeal.

Of course, I still enjoy many desserts, Krispy Kreme donuts, etc. But some of the things that I used to eat without question now just get a "Ehhhhh. Not now......" from me.

Some of the foods I no longer care to eat are:

Most fast food stuff - even if I like it (such as Wendy's Chili or Taco Bell meximelts) it disagrees with me and often causes "emergency bathroom stops."
Breads - many store bought breads just don't taste good to me anymore
Sodas - they are tooooooooo sickeningly sweet now.
Small pizzas at convenience marts - either breakfast pizzas, or regular cheese pizzas

Do you have any foods you used to eat without even thinking about it, that you just don't LIKE anymore? (I am not asking for stuff you "banned" )

Replies

• marissanik
    marissanik Posts: 344 Member
    Options
    Most definitely. Chocolate bars are the biggest one for me. I used to eat about one a day, and now I can barely stand the sweetness of them. A lot of super sweet desserts and such I can't have a large amount of because they no longer satisfy.
  • Snip8241
    Snip8241 Posts: 767 Member
    Options
    Fast food
    Pizza Hut
    Pre made processed food
    Bakery cakes.
  • Ms_Chai
    Ms_Chai Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    Today a co-worker gave me a Butterfinger Peanut Butter Cup. I never have been a huge candy eater, but I could almost always eat a Reese Cup or a Butterfinger. I ate one cup, and it was "meh." It had a strange fake chocolate aftertaste. So, I am not that interested in candy anymore.

Also, it is much, much easier to avoid fast-food places. I used to crave fast-food constantly. Now it hardly ever crosses my mind. I bet I would enjoy eating it.....but I just don't think about it anymore.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Regular flavored yogurt tastes like eating pure sugar now!
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,742 Member
    Options
    The #1 for me is frosting/icing - I have become such a snob when it comes to this! It has to taste AMAZING...pretty much only homemade from scratch or the stuff from really nice bakeries & sweet shops will do. No more grocery store cupcakes or Great American Cookie Co. Also, Little Debbies, Hostess, and other snack cakes used to tempt me but not at all now.

McDonald's hamburgers. Even during the earlier stages of losing weight (before I joined My Fitness Pal) I relied on McDoubles as a quick & cheap pick me up meal w/ protein - I ate them about once a week for lunch, for a couple of years, and enjoyed it. Now they gross me out, coat my mouth with a weird substance & aftertaste of blood. Will NEVER eat them again. I still like Steak N' Shake hamburgers a lot though, and don't think the ones at Burger King taste bad (not great either)...it's really just McDonald's I guess.

Dinner rolls from Logan's Roadhouse. I ate 1/2 of one for the first time in a couple of years and it just tasted like NOTHING. I used to love 'em but won't be tempted by those again.

Pizza from most chains tastes *extremely* salty to me now, especially Pizza Hut and Dominos. I've gotten used to just eating the healthy thin crust veggie pizza my husband makes, with minimal cheese and low sodium sauce...sounds so boring and horrible, I know, but it's actually delicious. I still love pizza from a select few local/regional places, but again I have become a "snob" - about pizza this time - and not on purpose.
  • peanuttyist
    Options
    I don't even think about eating the foods I did before I lost 40 lbs...fast food..pizza..etc...no longer appeals to me. What I do find is that healthy whole non-processed foods taste awesome !!! Fish ...vegetables....it all tastes so so good...I think I am actually tasting food the way it should be enjoyed. Love the farmers markets with the freshness. Anyway...not saying I will never eat cake, cookies or ice cream again but it just does not appeal to me. Life is sooooooo good :)
  • Chaskavitch
    Chaskavitch Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    Regular old peanut butter. I used to eat spoonfuls of it at a time, but I switched to fresh ground almond butter for a while, and now regular peanut butter is weirdly sweet. It's a little unnerving.
  • pmowers
    pmowers Posts: 10
    Options
    It is weird, isn't it? I lived (or died) for Quarter Pounders with Cheese, Double Meat Whoppers with cheese and extra mayo, Arby's sausage, egg, cheese wraps- now it is meh. I still love to eat, but am much more discerning as to what I eat. I have a Cadbury Fruit and Nut bar (see, fruit, nuts, milk, it is healthy, right?) that has been in my cabinet for close to 4 months now. I used to go through 2-3 a week.

I don't think that it is a conscious act by me, just part of my journey, I guess. The last time I was at Carraba's, I found myself having a hard time finding that item which just screamed "EAT ME!". Most of the food barely whispered, and that was for the most part the healthy portions of the menu.
  • amcook4
    amcook4 Posts: 561 Member
    Options
    I used to eat McDonald's a lot....like breakfast everyday on my way to work, and lunch 1-2 times a week. After a couple months of no McDonald's I was on the road and grabbed some food for convenience.....bleh, it just didn't taste good and left a weird aftertaste in my mouth.
  • wizzybeth
    wizzybeth Posts: 3,573 Member
    Options
    So glad I'm not the only one!

There actually are a whole host of candy types I no longer enjoy, that I used to LOVE - Swedish Fish now taste like waxy plastic. So do Twizzlers. About the only candy I still enjoy are M&M's and Mike & Ikes!

I was out the other night waiting for my daughter and there were NO food options nearby except McDonald's and Dunkin Donuts. I chose to go in to McDonald's.

Nothing - nothing appealed to me for the calories offered...but I got a Grilled Chicken Bacon Ranch salad because that was the "lowest calorie" item on their menu. The veggies tasted odd, like there was a cleaning agent left on them, the chicken had a bizarre texture. The nutrition info on the salad was lacking the info for the salad dressing - the ranch salad dressing was going to add another whopping 170 calories and several grams of fat (that's how I knew the nutrition info lacked the salad dressing - there was more fat in the dressing than was listed for the entire salad.) I didn't eat the entire thing and didn't put ANY dressing on it.

I have lost all desire to ever go to McDonald's and I used to like several things on their menu.

The "light" sandwiches at Dunkin are just odd too - very rubbery. So while I'm grateful that the "fast food" doesn't appeal to me anymore, it puts me in a spot when I'm hungry and that's the only choice I have. :P
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,742 Member
    Options
    So glad I'm not the only one!

There actually are a whole host of candy types I no longer enjoy, that I used to LOVE - Swedish Fish now taste like waxy plastic. So do Twizzlers. About the only candy I still enjoy are M&M's and Mike & Ikes!

I was out the other night waiting for my daughter and there were NO food options nearby except McDonald's and Dunkin Donuts. I chose to go in to McDonald's.

Nothing - nothing appealed to me for the calories offered...but I got a Grilled Chicken Bacon Ranch salad because that was the "lowest calorie" item on their menu. The veggies tasted odd, like there was a cleaning agent left on them, the chicken had a bizarre texture. The nutrition info on the salad was lacking the info for the salad dressing - the ranch salad dressing was going to add another whopping 170 calories and several grams of fat (that's how I knew the nutrition info lacked the salad dressing - there was more fat in the dressing than was listed for the entire salad.) I didn't eat the entire thing and didn't put ANY dressing on it.

I have lost all desire to ever go to McDonald's and I used to like several things on their menu.

The "light" sandwiches at Dunkin are just odd too - very rubbery. So while I'm grateful that the "fast food" doesn't appeal to me anymore, it puts me in a spot when I'm hungry and that's the only choice I have. :P

I am often dissatisfied with the "light options" in restaurants, particularly fast food places. I am pleasantly surprised with some of the recent Wendy's salads (like the cashew chicken one). But in general I choose "regular" items from the menus of fast food places. I'm not saying that's the right option...hehe. But if I was at Dunkin I'd probably get a donut and black coffee, because of the weird rubbery/fakey light options you describe...I totally know what you mean, too!
  • andreamaym
    andreamaym Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    Coffee cream totally grosses me out now. I either drink it black or with a splash of milk, depending on the roast.
    Candy does not satisfy me like it once did. That being said, I crave chocolate a lot more now than I used to (specifically Hershey's Drops - yum!).
    Fried food in general really puts me off these days, and also gives me tummy troubles!
  • Shannen175
    Shannen175 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    For me its the sugar. I have always has coffee with my sugar creamer... Iittle by little I am now proud to say I have given up sugar in my coffee all together and actually love the new flavor I have found. I have found that my once favorite Coke is way to sweet and just not worth it anymore. As many others say the fresh stuff is what taste the best. I do not feel deprived as a rule. I have made an effort to stay away from buns, rolls ,etc... 35 calorie toast one of my new likes.
  • ksolksol
    ksolksol Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    I think this is a hard thing for most people to realize. They associate veggies, etc. with suffering, and don't realize that once you start eating better, a lot of former treats taste kind of gross.

Our employee wellness program had a book they gave us where the writer (meaning well, I'm sure) said to "put down those Twinkies! " I wanted to say lady, I haven't had a Twinkie in 20 years. I'm not sure I even consider them to be food any more.

I wonder how much of our tastes come from being TOLD that veggies are awful and Twinkies are delightful? I can't tell you how many times I've seen someone touting a recipe that "doesn't taste healthy!" Healthy stuff tastes good, dang it.
  • rebeccaplatt21
    Options
    Regular flavored yogurt tastes like eating pure sugar now!

this^^ totally happened to me today! a yogurt came with breakfast this morning and figured, eh ok whatever.....GROSS!!!!!
  • Meerataila
    Meerataila Posts: 1,885 Member
    Options
    I was craving last night. When I craved three months ago it was all about cookies ice cream and cake, maybe some chips for a salty side.

Last night I was craving blueberries strawberries and bananas.

The downside is I had enough money to go buy cookies ice cream or cake. I couldn't afford any fruit except the bananas.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    So many foods are no longer appealing. Number one is store-made cake/icing. Good lord that stuff is horrific!
    For me: most of those things are a "good riddance". I don't like them, I don't crave them, I don't eat them. And I'm darned happy about that. AND! When I learned to eat I ADDED so many great new foods!
  • michikade
    michikade Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    I've found that I've gotten to where I can taste preservatives -- at least, I'm pretty sure it's preservatives. Prepackaged foods either taste like a salt lick or like a chemistry lab to me these days.

Non-diet sodas and "zero" sodas - cloyingly sweet tasting to me.

I had a personal pan Pizza Hut pizza the other day and felt heavy and gross afterwards (still tasted ok, though, except for the greasiness).
  • rebeccaplatt21
    Options
    i also am finding my taste buds changing. can definitely taste the sugars in things....most things are sickly sweet now.
    when i do have to get fast food, it just doesn't taste good.
    healthier stuff appeals to me more now too. i've always liked veggies (certain ones) but now i REALLY like them!

also, portion sizes are totally different to me now too. i can def eat a lot less and be satisfied/full. and a lot of times i forget that i don't need/want so much and end up taking/ordering too much and then am amazed that i can't finish it!

fried stuff totally doesn't agree with my anymore....it equals an instant trip to the bathroom. i feel like i'm turning into such an 'old lady' saying, oh i don't want that, oh my body doesn't like that, but i think it's great really!! listening to your body is awesome!
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    I've found that I've gotten to where I can taste preservatives -- at least, I'm pretty sure it's preservatives. Prepackaged foods either taste like a salt lick or like a chemistry lab to me these days.

Non-diet sodas and "zero" sodas - cloyingly sweet tasting to me.

I had a personal pan Pizza Hut pizza the other day and felt heavy and gross afterwards (still tasted ok, though, except for the greasiness).
    You just wrote Pizza Hut personal pan pizza and I can smell it and taste the grease. Eww.