Hypothyroid- Now what??

Options
Okay so just found out this week, after blood tests have been done, my thyroid is under active.... Just started some meds for it, but I want to control it naturally, especially since it hasn't progressed to the next level yet.

Anyone else have similar thyroid issues? I know it is supposed to be more difficult to lose weight, as it slows down the metabolism, which makes a lot of sense, since I have literally been losing only .5lb a month for the past 4 months.

I have been reading into certain foods that can help, and ones that can make it worse! Anyone have any suggestions or helpful incites? Or want to just be motivational friends to help each other keep going :)

Replies

• Elsie_Brownraisin
    Elsie_Brownraisin Posts: 786 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure about contolling it naturally - do you mean without medication?

I have medication-induced hypothyroidism and have been taking levothyroxine for a few years. It hasn't stopped me losing weight. It perhaps has slowed it compared to some people, but for me it's been the regular boring way of eating at a deficit and in my case the slowness may be more because I eat at small deficit compared to a lot of the people on here.

Your loss may seem frustrating, but you've lost a kilo - this:

2coli52.jpg

isn't on your body anymore.

The weight loss may speed up once your medication has reached the right dose.
  • SarcasmIsMyLoveLanguage
    SarcasmIsMyLoveLanguage Posts: 2,668 Member
    Options
    I only have half a thyroid due to cancer, so I'm on medication too. It takes a while to figure out the right dose, and the dose may change as you lose weight (esp if you have a lot to lose). I'm not aware of any non-medication ways to control this so not sure what you mean by controlling it naturally?

Your hypothyroidism doesn't really change your method of weight loss, it may just slow it very slightly. Only in extreme cases does hypothyroidism cause sever weight issues. A caloric deficit is still the right way to go.

That being said, there are some foods that we are supposed to avoid, such as dark green leafy veggies (kale, etc). Not sure why but I believe it has something to do with medication absorption. I still eat those things though because I love them and I feel like a little shouldn't hurt.
  • elissascotland
    elissascotland Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    Avoid medication at your peril. Seriously. As a medical doctor, I have seen people nearly die because they preferred "the natural way" over taking thyroxine. It is true that death is natural.

I write this as someone who was diagnosed late with an underactive thyroid.

It could take a while for you to get used to the medication. When I started it, it was like I was on cocaine or speed (I imagine) For a week I was so full of energy I was nearly going bonkers. Things settled down and back to normal for me within two months or so, once I was on the correct dose of thyroxine.

As conditions go, you could get a diagnosis a lot worse.
  • Stacy_of_Oregon
    Stacy_of_Oregon Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Hi, I have Hashimoto's Thyroiditis, which is an auto-immune disease that results in hypothyroidism.

I know of no peer-reviewed, double blind studies that suggest a "natural" way of controlling hypothyroidism. I am a retired RN (due to health reasons), and unless things have changed since I left my nursing practice in 2011, thyroid replacement therapy is still the gold standard, as well as having your thyroid level checked regularly (each doctor I've been to has given me different ranges on how often the thyroid level should be checked.)

I do think that untreated hypothyroidism would make it difficult to lose weight at the same pace as someone with a healthy thyroid function, but otherwise, if your thyroid levels are within normal range on synthetic thyroid replacement, then I think some people tend to use it as an excuse. Just my personal opinion, so no haters, please!

I have 50 pounds to lose, and it is not my thyroid's fault. It is the result of being depressed and therefore lazy and staying in bed all day, eating humongous portions, eating junk, and not getting up and exercising. End of story.
  • lmarshel
    lmarshel Posts: 674 Member
    Options
    Having Hypothyroidism means your thyroid is not active enough. It's not producing enough of the hormones your body needs to regulate metabolism. It can affect your heart rate, organ function, brain function, and pretty much any other part of the body. The medication you take is essentially a synthetic hormone replacement. It's definitely not something you can get from food. Changing your diet will not replace those hormones for you. If your hormone levels were low enough to need the replacement therapy, you need to follow doctor's orders and take the meds.

Once you're regulated on hormone replacement, you shouldn't have any problems losing weight just like everyone else.

:flowerforyou:
  • bluntlysally
    bluntlysally Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    once you find the right dosage with meds, it makes no difference for weight loss... unless, of course, you aren't ready to actually do the work to lose weight and are looking to point a finger as an excuse.
    Options
    Avoid medication at your peril. Seriously. As a medical doctor, I have seen people nearly die because they preferred "the natural way" over taking thyroxine. It is true that death is natural.

I write this as someone who was diagnosed late with an underactive thyroid.

It could take a while for you to get used to the medication. When I started it, it was like I was on cocaine or speed (I imagine) For a week I was so full of energy I was nearly going bonkers. Things settled down and back to normal for me within two months or so, once I was on the correct dose of thyroxine.

As conditions go, you could get a diagnosis a lot worse.
    +1
  • laurenk08
    laurenk08 Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the responses! I have just never heard of this issue until recently, but I am glad it can be regulated! I am still on the meds, day 4 of taking them, and I am having some odd side effects.... headaches, nausea, and stuff like that. I am going to see if it gets any better within the next couple weeks here. So this issue can't be resolved on its own? Does it go away as you get older??

I have read different ways to help regulate the hormones by eliminating certain foods and eating more of other ones. Eliminating soy and hydrogenated oils are a big one it seems like.

I lost a lot of weight the first couple of years on this site, but this past year it has slowed down immensely (only 12 pounds left). And I have continued to workout regularly, eat at a deficit, and I have started distance running, and still I lose like half a pound a month. So hopefully with these meds everything will level out and I can continue.
  • xixshaiyaxix
    xixshaiyaxix Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    I have had Hypothyroidism since I was 13. I am now 22. There is no real natural remedy. I've heard that Iodine rich foods help, but essentially, you need the pill. It isn't a chemical, its a hormone. Good luck on your journey. It will take several blood tests until you are in the right dosage.
  • alyssamaryw
    Options
    I would definitely have an appointment with an endocrinologist since you seem to still have a lot of questions. I've been on medication for hypothyroid for years now and it's the only thing that works. The only side effect I have ever experienced is that I seem to pee more often, and my sister (who also has hypothyroid) has noticed this too. I agree with everyone's advice to stick with your medication. This is a lifelong issue dear, I'm sorry.
    Options
    Not that I know of, no - it won't go away, and there are no "natural" remedies. That being said, I'm not a PhD so I could be wrong, but I'm fairly certain.

Be patient, it takes a while to figure out the balance.

Also, just noticing your age and not trying to get personal, but if you are planning on having a family, make sure you monitor your thyroid levels closely. A thyroid imbalance can be quite problematic during pregnancy - I had mine tested once a month to ensure the safety of my baby.
  • jorninsmama
    jorninsmama Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    There are alternative options for you but you shouldn't NOT take a medication. Personally, I've chosen to take an alternative medication, Armour Thyroid. You should talk with your doctor about your options. I've decided to limit my intake of certain foods like raw broccoli and cauliflower as they are considered goiterogen (?sp) as well as Soy. Can't say that I've researched this extensively but enough for me to make a decision and my dr to go along with it even though she doesn't normally prescribe this medication.

I'm not sure there's a natural remedy for hypothyroidism but I think there are more natural/alternative ways to treat it and to support yoru thyroid.
  • alyssamaryw
    Options
    There are alternative options for you but you shouldn't NOT take a medication. Personally, I've chosen to take an alternative medication, Armour Thyroid. You should talk with your doctor about your options. I've decided to limit my intake of certain foods like raw broccoli and cauliflower as they are considered goiterogen (?sp) as well as Soy. Can't say that I've researched this extensively but enough for me to make a decision and my dr to go along with it even though she doesn't normally prescribe this medication.

I'm not sure there's a natural remedy for hypothyroidism but I think there are more natural/alternative ways to treat it and to support yoru thyroid.

Please TALK TO AN ENDOCRINOLOGIST before doing anything in addition to or instead of taking your medication.
  • ninav1980
    ninav1980 Posts: 514 Member
    Options

Once you're regulated on hormone replacement, you shouldn't have any problems losing weight just like everyone else.

:flowerforyou:

agreed with ^^^^

Im not saying you will, but Some people use this as an excuse to not lose weight and give up. Like the comment above says, taking the proper dosage will ensure your thyroid funtions just like everyone elses and wont hinder weight loss at all. I was diagnosed when I was 25 (9 years ago)and have taken Levythroxine daily with zero side effects. Its a very small easy to swallow pill and you need to take first thing in the morning wihout food.
  • laurenk08
    laurenk08 Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    I WILL take my thyroid medication :) promise! And I will need to get more answers from my doctor! I just found out in a very odd way... I am actually donating my eggs in the next couple months, and they figured it out while processing my blood work. They are currently watching my levels and regulating my meds.
    After this process though, I will need to obviously talk to my own doctor about regulating my Thyroid, and get more information about the whole situation.
  • johnarichardson
    Options
    I also suffer from hypothyroidism and was diagnosed pretty late - by which time plenty of weight had been gained! Since then I've been stable (in terms of treatment levels and blood results) with levothyroxine and agree with a couple of the posters that once stabilised any weight gain is likely my own issue and not that of the disease. In my case I'm absolutely certain of it.

However, on saying that there is an aspect that a couple of the other posters have mentioned that really does need looking at and that is the absorption of levothyroxine and how it's affected by certain foods. Most of these are well documented, so avoid kale and so on, but the food that was affecting my absorption of levothyroxine was coffee. I like my coffee in the morning however I found by experimentation that I felt much better either not having coffee in the morning until over an hour after my tablets (not the thirty minutes advised) or by taking my tablets at bedtime on an empty stomach with GP's consent.

So in a roundabout way, some people could be blaming hypothyroidism for continued weight gain or difficulty in losing weight and technically they could be correct, but the cause could actually be lowered absorption of levothyroxine which is avoidable.

Depending on your type of hypothyroidism I'd imagine you'd be on thyroid supplements for the remainder of your life with annual blood tests to check levels once they've stabilised from your initial diagnosis.

Another option is natural thyroid extract from dessicated thyroid glands (usually from pigs) and that's branded as Armour Thyroid. In the US it's certainly available via normal medical prescription routes comparatively easier than in the UK where it seems to be much more of a struggle to get. The main difference between Levothyroxine (synthroid) and Armour is that Synthroid is synthetically produced T4 whereas Armour is natural T4 and also has a measure of T3.

I'm quite happy with my Levothyroxine and look back fondly on those heady days where I felt like I was coming alive at the beginning of my treatment. Untreated I felt like death warmed up... and with hypothyroidism being as insidious as it is took years for me to be diagnosed. You are lucky you got it diagnosed early.