Dumb cooking question

Options
Sorry that I'm kind of dense here, but here is my question:
I want to cook something that calls for 25 minutes at 450. (roasted vegetables.)
I also want to cook baked chicken breast that calls for 35 minutes at 400.
Can I just split the difference and cook at 425? Or should I just cook the vegetables at 400 for longer?
I'd like them to come out at the same time.
Thanks!!

Replies

• SailorKnightWing
    SailorKnightWing Posts: 875 Member
    Options
    There really isn't a specific equation you can use, but I would suggest preheating to 400 and cooking the vegetables for the same amount of time as the chicken. Or find another roasted vegetable recipe that calls to cook at 400, there are plenty.
  • panda4153
    panda4153 Posts: 417 Member
    Options
    So you could probably go either way, gook the everything at 450 for 25 minutes for everything at 400 for 35 minutes. Although I would watch your chicken, it can overcook quick. I usually cook my boneless skinless chicken breast for about 25 minutes at 400. However if it still has the bone, it may take longer.
  • sympha01
    sympha01 Posts: 942 Member
    Options
    Depending on what you expect on the outcomes, sure you can do them at 425, or even just 400. (When in doubt, I err on the side of getting the meat right, because undercooked meat is BAD, and meat that is overcooked on the outside but undercooked on the inside is also BAD). Your veggies will turn out less brown and caramelized, probably. Depending on what your veggies are, you can probably get away with just leaving them in longer too (so possibly starting them at the same time as the chicken). A 50 degree difference is nothing really -- different types of stoves can vary that much anyway.

When my dad had to start fending for himself in the kitchen, he used to get so anxious about doing something "the wrong way." The important thing to remember is that except for the remote possibility of getting food poisoning by undercooking chicken or eggs, the consequences of not getting something perfect the first time you cook something are pretty minimal. Experiment and learn, grasshopper!
  • pita7317
    pita7317 Posts: 1,437 Member
    Options
    If I was you I would cook the chicken first at the stated temperature. Higher would probably dry it out.
    Then tent with foil and let rest while you roast the vegetables at 450. They need the higher temp to brown.
    If need be , put the chicken in the microwave, shortly, just to get it hot before serving...maybe a minute.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    You can split the difference or do both at 400 or 450. Just adjust cooking time.

I'd probably do it at 400 and start the vegetables a bit earlier (depending on what they are--25 mins is a long time for some vegetables) and just keep an eye on them so you know when they are done. (Cooking times are all approximate anyway, so I'd also keep an eye on the breast.)

If it's skin-on, bone-in chicken, I cook that at higher heats all the time and like it that way.

I pretty much never rely on recipes for heat or cooking time--I just do what makes sense to me and fits with whatever else you are cooking. If you google around for cooking instructions you will almost always seen any number of different recommended temperatures and after experimenting for a while will probably end up with your own preferences.
  • SsetAdnama
    SsetAdnama Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    The important thing to remember is that except for the remote possibility of getting food poisoning by undercooking chicken or eggs, the consequences of not getting something perfect the first time you cook something are pretty minimal. Experiment and learn, grasshopper!

^^^ This
  • tabicatinthehat
    tabicatinthehat Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    http://www.foodsafety.gov/keep/charts/mintemp.html

The chicken is the most important thing. Get a meat thermometer and make sure it's cooked to 165 degrees internally.
  • acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,656 Member
    Options
    The chicken is more sensitive to overcooking, so I would put the veggies in for the longer time at the lower chicken temperature. In the worst case, if the timing doesn't work out right, serve the chicken first and leave the veg for an extra 5 minutes in the oven.
  • Snip8241
    Snip8241 Posts: 767 Member
    Options
    The chicken is more sensitive to overcooking, so I would put the veggies in for the longer time at the lower chicken temperature. In the worst case, if the timing doesn't work out right, serve the chicken first and leave the veg for an extra 5 minutes in the oven.

Do this. Veggies roasted are pretty forgiving where time and temp are concerned. Worse thing that can happen is they will steam rather than roast.