Tight Budget and weightloss

Options
2»

Replies

• SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    Two things I've done that make the biggest difference for the least amount of effort:

1. Don't let anything go to waste.
    2. Eat less.

I started out (before I was calorie counting) by eating only until I wasn't hungry, instead of eating til I could eat no more. The other was to eat the leftovers no one else wanted (at another meal, not on top of my own) and those little bits that weren't worth saving before, suddenly could be a whole meal or even a snack.

Like a few bites of leftover meat and veggies were an omelet the next day.
    I've always wondered why there are those who think that it's more expensive to lose weight than it was to eat in such a way as to gain it. The whole idea is to eat less of what you were eating before so it should be cheaper to lose weight, right? I get that you might feel you need to eat "clean" or "healthy" whatever that means to you, but it's not necessary to eat any special way to lose weight, just to eat less.

As far as eating on a budget, buy a crockpot/slow cooker if you don't already have one. It can turn cheap cuts of meat into fabulous dinners. You can also make things like chili, soups and stews in quantity and portion them out and refrigerate or freeze for future meals. Buy fresh fruits and veggies on sale and freeze. I do this with berries and bananas, especially, and use them to make smoothies. In fact, try to buy everything on sale as much as you can. Places like Costco are great for toilet paper and laundry detergent. If you have friends who are interested you can go in together and split up the packages and all save some money.

Avoid prepared foods as much as possible because you're paying for the prep not just the food. Buy whole carrots in bulk and cut them up instead of buying baby carrots. Buy a head of lettuce instead of the baggies of pre-washed and cut salads which are crazy expensive. Buy whole chicken breasts and debone them yourself. You get the idea.
  • wizzybeth
    wizzybeth Posts: 3,578 Member
    Options
    Well, if your old eating habits included ramen noodles, mac & cheese, cereal, soda, spaghetti & the like....yes, it can be quite a bit more expensive to eat more healthy. (While name brand soda can be expensive, store brand stuff is cheap cheap cheap...you can buy a 3 liter for less than you'll pay for a 20 oz coke sometimes! )

If a person is already eating nutritionally dense, healthy, whole foods, then no - eating to lose weight is not going to cost more and will probably cost less! But if you have an unhealthy eating lifestyle...then it's harder.

All those things - ramen noodles, mac & cheese, spaghetti - they are all cheap meals and explains why a lot of poor folks are also obese.
  • albayin
    albayin Posts: 2,524 Member
    Options
    I hope this doesn't come out in the wrong way but...

on a tight budget could mean buying less food? be more selective? buying less food and eating less is the key to weight loss, isn't it?
  • Smoofalz
    Smoofalz Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I usually have a tight budget too, as well as not much time. I have like a store-brand protein bar for breakfast, or oatmeal (I'm usually not very hungry in the morning though either). Lunch maybe soup or a sandwich... And for dinner I'm usually at work anyway so I have to pack, I have been buying the healthy choice and lean cuisine meals and they're actually not bad. Its usually enough for me and on sale I can find them for about $2 each, sometime 3 when not on sale. But if prepackaged stuff is still too much for you, things like chicken and tilpia usually run pretty cheap and there's different things you can do to them. If fresh veggies are too expensive, frozen ones or even canned are cheaper and are better than nothing. Oh and try to mostly drink water if you can, it will save you money and calories! :)
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    So with this happening, it is hard to buy all the things I would like food wise to help me lose weight.

Losing weight requires eating less, so your food bill should be going down, not up.
  • iggyboo93
    iggyboo93 Posts: 524 Member
    Options
    Actually a cooked rotisserie chicken is a great deal - $6 and it's ready to eat and you should get more than two meals - probably two meals plus some leftover for tossing in a salad.

And freeze the bones along with veggie peelings - homemade chicken stock tastes better, is lower sodium and is cheaper than the store bought stuff.
  • Psychgrrl
    Psychgrrl Posts: 3,177 Member
    Options
    I buy everything frozen, esp. veggies and fruit. Carefully heat in the microwave--I'm a microwave queen. Stuff never goes bad and it's easy to throw veggies in everything.

Lunch today was 1.5 cups of greens beans/carrots, 1/4 cup black beans (don't remember the grams) and one tilapia filet (all frozen). Put the veggies and the beans on the bottom, the fish keeps them moist. Microwave. Ta-da! I also do that with my "chicken." Or tuna/salmon pouches.

I do not buy organic veggies. I buy generic. They're cheap and I buy blends to get a variety.

I choose to spend money on bread. I buy low carb/sugar, high fiber/protein bread.

Dinner is usually a bunch of veggies cooked in a skillet with a teeny bit of olive oil and some egg whites. Usually another protein source like shrimp, trader joe's 96% lean ground beef or morning star farms grillers crumbles. Sometimes I throw beans in there and if I'm feeling really wild and crazy I'll toss in some shredded plain potatoes.

I buy expensive dark chocolate (sweetened with stevia) and organic peanut butter. I pick and choose my expensive stuff and still do keep my grocery budget to a minimum. Cheap staples, more expensive special treats.

I buy with my health and goals in mind. Usually. :)
  • LilyMammoth
    LilyMammoth Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    You might want to look into seeing if you have an Aldi grocery store near you. I shop there and spend about $25-$30 a week on groceries because their prices are so low. They also have a brand called Fit & Active, which is all of their lower calorie options.
  • VeggieKidMandy
    VeggieKidMandy Posts: 575 Member
    Options
    KALE!!! Kale is super healthy , nutritious and CHEAP. Plus it can be used in a variety of different combinations.
  • legless11
    legless11 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I felt the same way, I'm on a very tight budget too and when I thought about losing weight I remembered the sort of foods you eat on Weight Watchers and Slimming World to stay within your points/ syns and I just don't have the money to buy lots of special foods. I started MFP (again) last week and calorie counting has really reassured me. The food I was already eating can be made to fit, in general.

I go to the high street greengrocers and buy whatever looks good/ cheap and then plan my meals around that after I have my vegetables. This week I've eaten a LOT of tomatoes because they are good value at the moment but they're very versatile. I've never been able to afford much in the way of meat so I'm quite used to eating lentils and pulses. I've eaten more meat than I have in years this week trying to bring my protein intake up!

If you wanted to add me as a friend (is that how this works?) we can support each other. Good luck!