I want to start using weights!

Options
I am looking for a good beginner resource for free weights. Maybe a DVD or a Youtube video from a reputable source. I am brand new to weights of any sort. Any advice?

Thanks!

Replies

• martinel2099
    martinel2099 Posts: 899 Member
    Options
    Google Strong lifts, great resource for a beginner who wants to start lifting weights.
  • Nicholeagogo
    Options
    I'll check it out thanks. And, I guess I should mention I have adjustable dumbbells at home, not a whole bar system...yet.
  • sculli123
    sculli123 Posts: 1,221 Member
    Options
    Was going to say, either Stronglifts or Starting Strength would be a good start.
  • quellybelly
    quellybelly Posts: 827 Member
    Options
    I started with Strong lifts: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/560459-stronglifts-5x5-summary

Lifting is awesome :) hope you enjoy it!
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    A great book would be Starting strength, very similar program to stronglifts, but a lot of great info in the book.. He also does tutorials on YouTube
  • kherrons
    kherrons Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    Most weight exercises that requires barbell can easily be switched to dumbbells so don't let that keep you from some of them. Also, here's a book everyone suggests to women new to lifting, New Rules of Lifting for Women. I recommend it.
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    Not sure what weights you actually have but here are some bodyweight training stuff just in case. You can make a lot of these exercises harder by adding weight:
    Nerdfitness.com
    You Are Your Own Gym
    Body By You
    Convict Conditioning

The below use barbells but you can find alternative exercises that use dumbbells instead while still following the basics of the program.

Strong Curves
    Stronglifts 5x5
    AllPros
    New Rules of Lifting for Women
    Starting Strength

Bodybuilding.com has a great database for exercises that you can search by equipment. They also have programs there you can try out (like from Jamie Eason)
  • Nicholeagogo
    Options
    Thanks for the info guys, really appreciate it. I'm excited to get started!
  • martinel2099
    martinel2099 Posts: 899 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the info guys, really appreciate it. I'm excited to get started!

You can to it++++
  • AlyssamR6712
    AlyssamR6712 Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    if you go to bodybuilding.com (don't get spooked by the name lol) and pick a workout plan, you can click on each workout or even just type the workout in the search bar with a plan it brings up a step by step how to do it. Goodluck!
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    with your own dumbbells, check out strong curves or new rules of lifting for women.

they have DB modifications
  • Hmdoe
    Hmdoe Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Keep us posted on how it goes! I want to try and start too...
  • kmozymoz
    kmozymoz Posts: 187
    Options
    I don't know if you have access to any gyms that use Les Mills courses, but I've been doing Body Pump as a total beginner and I've had some great results. It's a lot easier for me to start out when I have instruction and can't really afford personal training.