Sleep Aids- Need more ideas...

Options
Hey! So I've been having trouble with sleep. Not being able to fall asleep, waking up through out the night, and not feeling rested the next morning. I purchased Alteril Natural Sleep Aid Fast Acting Liquid Gelcaps from Target and have used them for 4 nights in a row. I experienced side effects of very vivid dreams/nightmares and still wake up throughout the night. I would wake up feeling foggy in the head and with a headache that would take a while to get rid of. I stopped taking it after the 4th night.

Last night was the first night I didn't take any and I still had vivid dreams and kept waking up. *siiighhh* I'm at the point where I don't even look forward to going to sleep. Does anyone have any tips or sleep aids that they have a good experience with? Melatonin alone doesn't help me either. I prefer something natural but at this point, I think I'm pretty open to anything.

Thanks ladies and gents :)

Replies

• bluntlysally
    bluntlysally Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    sleep is more about a routine then anything. watch caffeine intake (how much and how late in the day), your sleep environment, time to unwind, finding time to exercise during the day, getting some fresh air, clean sheets, etc... all those hints that seem too simple are it.

if you have done all of this, then please see a doctor to ask about meds.

sleep is also not a 1-to-1 thing. if your sleep is messed up one night, it will take many more than one to make up for it.
  • Calliope610
    Calliope610 Posts: 3,775 Member
    Options
    Chamomile tea, with honey and milk. Works like a charm for me.
  • girlviernes
    girlviernes Posts: 2,402 Member
    Options
    Melatonin can be helpful if you have trouble falling asleep early enough, but fall asleep fairly easily later. Take the melatonin 3 hours before you want to be sleeping.

The main things for insomnia are to stick to a regular time to get up and get out of bed, do a regular night time routine each night when getting ready to go to sleep, but wait until you are actually sleepy to go to bed, remind yourself to trust your body to get enough sleep if you give it the opportunity through routines.

Sleep medicines can be helpful for a short course to get on track, but are a bad idea for long-term. The best thing especially if you want to go the all-natural route would probably be to find a therapist who does CBT-I (cognitive behavioral therapy for insomnia).
  • SaintGiff
    SaintGiff Posts: 3,679 Member
    Options
    I am a chronic insomniac. I've tried nearly everything from teas to melatonin to actual sleeping pills. The only thing I've found to help manage the issue effectively is glycine. It's a simple sugar that you can buy at any health food or supplement shop. I just take one teaspoon directly about an hour before I want to go to bed. It doesn't make you sleepy so it won't help you fall asleep. It will, however, make your sleep more productive and prevent you from waking up a lot during the night. It works be sort of short-circuiting the alerting mechanism that keeps waking you up, which is why in much higher doses it's used to treat people with severe bipolar disorder. It basically makes 4 hours of sleep feel like 7 for me. And I'm never drowsy when I wake up. The one drawback, and this keeps me from using it more often than I do, is that you need to have had no food or water for at least an hour before taking it in order for it to work. I'm usually quite thirsty at night so that works against me.
  • FatFreeFrolicking
    FatFreeFrolicking Posts: 4,252 Member
    Options
    How much melatonin do you take? I need to take 9mg in order for it to work for me (and I'm a diagnosed insomniac).

Routine is everything. You MUST go to sleep and wake up at the same time every day.
  • iifym_girl
    iifym_girl Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Awesome. Thank you all for the feedback. I do need to make it a routine to have set time to go to bed, more now that school has started back up.
  • mrs_jorgenson
    mrs_jorgenson Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I really struggle with this, and have a few tried and true tricks. First, I use a program called flux for my computer to adjust the light in my computer to more yellow tones, and less blue tones. Blue light tells your brain that the sun is still up, so if you can't just put the computer away (like I cannot seem to do), this helps. Then I take a supplement called naturecalm that is basically just magnesium, which works! It's for stress, too, but I can't take it any other time of day because I'll conk out. I got that at whole foods and I think you can buy smaller packets to try before you get the bigger container. Lastly, I listen to meditation tapes or apps. Not being able to relax is my biggest obstacle, I find it hard to get my brain to stop reeling at the end of the day. As an above poster mentioned, repetition is key, so try to find what works and make it a habit. Good luck!
  • mygnsac
    mygnsac Posts: 13,413 Member
    Options
    One problem I was having was there were too many lights in my room (from computer monitor, cable box, TV, phone charging stand, etc.). So I put some blackout tape over the lights and it made a world of difference. Also, I started meditating (or at least my version of meditation) before bed. Deep breathing in and out through the nose for several minutes, and just let the thoughts float way. I was surprised at how much that helped. I've tried melatonin, but it never worked well for me, but I know others swear by it.
  • PinkyPan1
    PinkyPan1 Posts: 3,018 Member
    Options
    I take two Benadryl every night for a goods night sleep. I also removed the tv from the bedroom.
  • Joannah700
    Joannah700 Posts: 2,665 Member
    Options
    Soothing music.

I have a playlist that I listen to each night and I find that everytime I hear a song from there I now get sleepy and am typically asleep by song 3.
  • daw0518
    daw0518 Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    I take Melatonin almost every night now that I'm a grad student. I'm a night person by nature & could easily stay up all night & sleep all day, but I have to force myself to have a more normal sleep pattern during the school year. Fairly low doses work for me. I used to take the Midnite chewable pills & I think they're only like 1.5mg, but nowadays I take 3mg pills. I like Melatonin because it's natural. Normal sleeping pills scare me a little bit. I'm sure you could take larger amounts without it being harmful, but I would do some research on it first.

I second the advice to take it a few hours before bed and to get on a good schedule. Melatonin works pretty fast for me, but my mom has to take it like 3 hours before she goes to bed or it doesn't work at all.

I also really like ambient noise. I downloaded the SimplyNoise app and my favorite is the brown noise. I think the app was $.99, but I thought it was worth buying because it has a sleep timer, so you can set it to play for an hour or so instead of all night. I don't use it as much anymore, but it really helped when I was living in an apartment that had annoyingly loud exposed pipes & was located in a noisy part of town.
  • BEVERLYSTEEN
    BEVERLYSTEEN Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    Relaxation music for me and the Grand Daughter (6 yrs) as well. I like the Flutes and drum beats but no singing.

One suggestion, If you are taking prescribed medication be sure to check with your Doctor or the Pharmacy before taking any additional supplements to make sure they won't cause issues being taken together.
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,741 Member
    Options
    sleep is more about a routine then anything. watch caffeine intake (how much and how late in the day), your sleep environment, time to unwind, finding time to exercise during the day, getting some fresh air, clean sheets, etc... all those hints that seem too simple are it.

if you have done all of this, then please see a doctor to ask about meds.

+1

I see others have mentioned this...but removing the TV and computer from your bedroom is very important (in my opinion) as well. If you use a smartphone (and I think everyone but me does lol) try to //seriously// limit the time spent on it in bed or even in your bedroom. If your bed is a place where you hang out, read, etc...try to change that habit...maybe make a new spot outside the bedroom your go to for those activities.
  • tennisgirl444
    tennisgirl444 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Google "sleep hygiene". Behavioral changes can make a big difference in your sleep, I promise!

That being said, I do use Tylenol PM for times of high stress, or when I need a really good night's sleep after a few nights of not sleeping well for whatever reason. Do not use it regularly though! I take a half dose or else I get vivid dreams/nightmares, 30 min before I want to go to bed. Generally helps me get deep sleep when I wouldn't otherwise. But 95% of the time, good sleep hygiene will make all the difference in the world.
  • kimtab
    kimtab Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    I've had good results with a Magnesium supplement called Natural Calm and I also do low dose (1.5mg) melatonin if I need it, even in the middle of the night. It's the only thing I have found that cuts through the repetitive thoughts that keep me up. Melatonin is well known for causing vivid dreams though.

Doxylamine is an OTC sleep aid (Unisom in the orange box) that is incredibly sedating, though you will eventually develop a tolerance to it. It's basically Benadryl's big brother.
  • dakotababy
    dakotababy Posts: 2,406 Member
    Options
    I use Melatonin on occasion, often when I had a stressful day at work and full of anxiety. I take 1 3mg pill 1 hour before bed and it knocks me right out.

You can become dependant on this supplement and your tolerance could increase if you take it long-term.
  • 123Allyxox
    123Allyxox Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    Mid Nite tablets helped me, but i believe they are melatonin..
  • JupeJones
    JupeJones Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    Yup, routine is the key.

Set the alarm on your phone for the same time every day.

Not for waking up... but for going to bed.
  • beckyjeanleemaddox
    beckyjeanleemaddox Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    I agree with Melatonin, good sleep habits, limit caffiene intake, turn off the tv and make your bedroom a peaceful place.
  • girlviernes
    girlviernes Posts: 2,402 Member
    Options
    Yup, routine is the key.

Set the alarm on your phone for the same time every day.

Not for waking up... but for going to bed.

Alarm for waking up You can also set an alarm for your nighttime routine. Different things will work for different people, but genera advice for actual insomnia would be to wait to go to bed until you are sleepy.