If u have a Doctor's appointment, do they bring up weight?

2»

Replies

• jdhcm2006
    jdhcm2006 Posts: 2,254 Member
    I've never had an issue jumping on the scale. I knew I was overweight. The scale wasn't telling me anything new. And I'm glad because I had been doing the TDEE method for a few months and when I went to the doctor (bc I was sick - not reg check up), it was really nice to see that the number was lower (and that my RHR was lower as well).
  • Willbenchforcupcakes
    Willbenchforcupcakes Posts: 4,955 Member
    My doctor has weighed me for every physical for the last 13 years. As my weight was slowly going up, he'd mention that I was x heavier then last year. He congratulated me when I lost weight, and now warns me how hard it is to maintain weight. I just smile and nod these days
  • shaynepoole
    shaynepoole Posts: 493 Member
    All of my doctors always weighed me - primary would bring up weight every couple of times, other doctors, well it depends on what I was seeing them for - now most of them are more amazed than anything else.

My primary says she tells a lot of people to exercise more and lose weight and most people don't do anything so it is rare when someone actually listens - I never really had considered that it's got to be tough on their end as well telling people the same thing over and over again and just watching as your health deteriorates.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    All of my doctors always weighed me - primary would bring up weight every couple of times, other doctors, well it depends on what I was seeing them for - now most of them are more amazed than anything else.

My primary says she tells a lot of people to exercise more and lose weight and most people don't do anything so it is rare when someone actually listens - I never really had considered that it's got to be tough on their end as well telling people the same thing over and over again and just watching as your health deteriorates.
    It really is rare for people to listen and follow the advice and get better. They're always impressed by it and happy for you, being healthier, because it is so exceedingly rare.

People would much rather get their advice from the girls at work. They'll do 10,000 different crash diets, but never consider switching to healthy food. They'll say they're fine and happy the way they are.

My boyfriend is happy the way he is. I guarantee you that when he has the heart attack...which will be any time now...If he lives, he will be singing a new song. People always decide that maybe they were wrong after they feel the crushing pain and look death in the eye. They switch their dietary habits really fast! But most of them still go back to their old ways less than six months later.

The person who makes actual lifestyle changes is exceedingly rare. It's hard to do!!

Good for you!
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    is there a question?
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    And even when I reach my goal and get to a great body fat percentage, likely I won't fit the BMI scale.

You most likely will. Either that, or you'll discover you need a lower target goal.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    They always try to make you get on a scale. When I go to my Drs. and the nurse gets close to the scale, I just look at her and say "plenty" and walk by. I have YET to have one argue with me!

You say ''plenty?'' If it's the first visit, isn't the scale required?
    Okay I've had the same Dr for 25 years and maybe this wasn't the best analogy. Still, my point was, it's your choice and I would do it only if you feel comfortable with it.
  • brower47
    brower47 Posts: 16,356 Member
    It's a number that could be useful. It's pointless to stress about it. Which is more important to you: your delicate feelings or up to date medical records that could be used to help you one day?
  • Before I lost my weight it was always bought up,,,,,but now its only bought up if I bring it up :)
  • williams969
    williams969 Posts: 2,528 Member
    You probably should. It's a doctor and they are paid to help you, not judge you.

^^This. I'm paying my doctor good money for medical advice. If they for some reason DIDN'T want to weigh me or let me know if it's in a healthy range (or any other metric, for that matter), they're getting fired.

For my entire adult life (until recently), I didn't keep a scale at home, so the doctor was my means of keeping track of changes. I'm glad he straight up told me that I had gained 20lbs since my last yearly, and that some lifestyle changes were in order. He gave me some general advice and a referral to a dietician.

I have yet to schedule with the dietician, but I think I'm doing alright so far (14 weeks of MFP, 14 lbs down), and his advice is echoed here, anyway: move a little more, eat a little less, get enough protein and eat yer veggies.
  • wallelf1
    wallelf1 Posts: 36 Member
    I had one doctor that I saw years ago. His staff were real scale ***ches. I finally said, "Look, I was just here 2 weeks ago. I weighed xxx. I'm not getting on these things every time I hit the door". The only scale that counts is the one in my bathroom that I step on once a week. Once my issue was resolved, I found another doctor. I don't mind 4x a year, but these gals were just horrible.
  • MinimalistShoeAddict
    MinimalistShoeAddict Posts: 1,946 Member
    what I don't understand is most of the doctors I have seen are very very overweight.

Doctors are human like everyone else. Don't worry about being judged. They are capable of giving you good advice even if they are not in perfect health themselves.
  • ashaalt
    ashaalt Posts: 6
    She is after all the doctor, so it is good if she brings it up especially if it concerns the patients health. Most may not discuss it unless it is affecting the health, but for a general physical they do check the weight for records but may not discuss it.

My doc put it in a milder way, asked me indirectly if I am the weight he thought I should be, when I said no, he said its advisable to lose some to avoid health issues. There was nothing embarrassing abt it, I want my doc to tell me frankly whatever it is. It has motivated me to work out and diet now.
  • Lozze
    Lozze Posts: 1,917 Member
    It's a number. It tells you if you need to lose weight or are in a good range of healthy. It's not the only indicator of health but it's a good baseline.

I will never understand people who don't want their doctor to advise them on their weight. Your body weight is a fairly big part of your health. Like I said above it's not the be all and end all but it tells the truth most of the time.

Last time I went was for some pre-conception advice and the doctor hemmed and hawed around it until I finally had to say 'are you trying to tell me to lose weight?' And he confirmed yes. The best thing I can do for my fertility is to lose weight. It's that simple. The fact he feels he as to jump around the issue is a dad indictment of our society and it's attitude to excess weight.
  • ebailey710
    ebailey710 Posts: 271 Member
    I've never argued about the scale, myself. I'm sure it's not 100% necessary but some medications require body weight for proper dosage so there's that.

^^ This. Especially for antibiotics.

I know a lot of people have a lot of anxiety going to the doctor, but my nurse practitioner never brings up a negative about my weight. They know I work out, so they just ask what kind of activities I do. Her assistant (or nurse or whatever) always says when I go to get on the scale "you are looking slimmer every time you come in here" and that makes me feel great even if the number doesn't move.
  • gmallan
    gmallan Posts: 2,099 Member
    OT but I can't actually remember the last time I was ever weighed in a Doctor's office. Not sure if the making you get on a scale is an American thing (I'm in Australia and yes we do have a massive obesity problem too) or it's because I'm visably within the 'healthy" weight range.

To the OP - please don't let the possibility of a discussion about your weight put you off going to see the Doctor. If they're bringing it up it's not about judgement it's because they want the best possible outcome for your health. If you're on here I assume you're aiming for weight loss and probably weigh yourself regularly so maybe you could just let them know that if it gets mentioned. Something like "I know my weight is an issue and I'm working on it. I've lost x amount of lbs in the last month through exercise and healthy eating". They'll likely welcome your initiative as I suspect they deal with a lot of people with obesity-related diseases who won't help themselves.
  • If your going to the doctors, get your money's worth. Get your weight, blood pressure, tests,advice, as much as you can. And when you mention the weight you have already lost, you will get nothing but praise and support, especially if you say you are doing Mfp and on the program. If this doesn't happen, change doctors.
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,742 Member
    I have been weighed at every doctor's appt I have ever been on and they never made it optional. I am pretty outspoken & assertive but honestly it did not even occur to me to turn down the weigh-in.

Anyway, when I was a little kid starting around age 8-9 I was hounded so badly by my doctor and he was very rude & mean. Mostly he would talk about my weight problems to my mom very loudly like I wasn't in the room. I was 5'6" 130-135 lb as a kid so I WAS enormous for my age...but being so height/weight proportional, I was a pretty normal size for an adult woman, but the doc would always make every appt about my "major weight problems" and I learned to fear and hate doctors due to this.

So given that experience...as an adult woman way over 200 lb and even hitting 300 at one point...doctors do comment, they suggest a weight loss, but they have all been super tactful and polite about it, so I am already bracing myself for the worst and then it's not so bad. Of course now that I am down 130+ lb I will tell them that when I next go to the doctor (I don't have a regular family physician currently). But in the past, to be quite honest looking back I feel that most doctors I've had as an adult really downplayed my weight, especially because I didn't have any health issues or problems with lab work when it was run. In fact when I was around 290, the doctor I saw told me that he'd love to see me lose 10-15% of my body weight which would have been around 30-40 lb. That actually made me feel BETTER and spurred me toward further weight loss because I was afraid he would say something like, "You need to lose 150 immediately, let's get you scheduled for gastric bypass". I almost wish he hadn't retired and moved away so I could see him again ;-)

Good luck at the doctor...don't let them upset you! You have your health at the top of your mind and that will come through in your attitude to a good doctor. Do let them know you are serious about your health and weight and I think it will be all good. A lot of physicians are sick of telling people to make positive changes when the patient just wants a magic pill.