I Used to Be Fat on MTV

mbakken90
mbakken90 Posts: 202 Member
edited September 23 in Success Stories
Does anyone else watch that show? I just finished watching mackenzie's episode. It was really inspiring! I've watched a few episodes now. I'm really envious of those who can lose that much weight! I want to be like them haha. If anyone has any tips let me know!

Replies

• JenabeeRose
    JenabeeRose Posts: 73 Member
    Well, ive watched the show & I think it's kind of misleading, especially to the teens that the show is geared tward. People losing that much weight (one girl lost 90 lbs in 90 days) will have a hard time keeping that weight off, and it makes the viewer feel like they might be doing something wrong if they dont lose 10 lbs in a week or whatever. I mean otherwise, it's a good show, but I think they need to stretch out the time frame a bit.. but it is inspiring.
  • Its great motivation for me but grrrr Mackenzie's Dad P***** me off to no end with his comments, you hav to be thin for a guy to love you!
  • i just watched it too!! love that show....now im watching made lol it's all about determination
  • Ive have watched almost all them. I wish i could lose that much weight that fast!. I just dont have the person that pushes them to do so. but Im trying my harest! Good luck!
  • Warmbloodwear
    Warmbloodwear Posts: 387 Member
    I watch it and I cried!!! She did so amazing and I know right where she was at when she was at the table and crying!! But, her dad going to workout with her was the kicker!!!
    Very inspiring and I have all episodes DVR ready now!!!
  • I watch it! I really like it, and it makes me wish I could have a personal trainer to teach me how to eat and work me out every day :( I do think that they're weight loss may be a little unreasonable.. It makes me wonder if they'll really keep it all off for long or not.
  • I like watching this show just the same kind of thing as The Biggest Loser, but I don't personally have the drive to work out 6 hours every day. Not realistic for me.
  • legacysh
    legacysh Posts: 464
    I watched one episode, and I caught my first episode of biggest loser too, and I am a little discouraged by both.You are dealing with highly supervised weight loss efforts that are being put on TV for normal people to watch. You only get a glimpse at what they really have to do to lose that amount of weight, and I think it's misleading.
    It's really cool to watch someone blossom when the weight comes off, but its really painful when the weight goes back on. The reality is not like TV unfortunately.
  • JenabeeRose
    JenabeeRose Posts: 73 Member
    I watched one episode, and I caught my first episode of biggest loser too, and I am a little discouraged by both.You are dealing with highly supervised weight loss efforts that are being put on TV for normal people to watch. You only get a glimpse at what they really have to do to lose that amount of weight, and I think it's misleading.
    It's really cool to watch someone blossom when the weight comes off, but its really painful when the weight goes back on. The reality is not like TV unfortunately.

This is very true. You rarely even hear about how many calories they are eating.. like if its not done right, the weight will come back on, especially with some a quick, dramatic loss
  • bethvandenberg
    bethvandenberg Posts: 1,496 Member
    I think with the tools that they give them they should know what to eat and how to work out. It's all cals in vs cals out. So with that said. they drop a bunch of weight in a short time b/c they work out 6-8 hours a day. None of us do that. If we did we'd drop that type of weight as well. We know what we need to do to drop a pound or two a week. I think they get that when they don't work out 8 hours they will have to watch what they eat.

I love that it shows these teens there is no simple answer and with hard work and dedication they can have more of the body they want.

I think Mackenzie's dad was way off and her brothers talked with him and kind of got him on the right path. It's about her being happy with who she is and what she wants to do and be to be able to love herself :)

Love it.
  • mbakken90
    Well I just watched a made episode and she lost 30 pounds in a significant amount of time and then ran a 5K! I'm totally inspired! I think I am going to sign up for one :)
  • summerbert
    summerbert Posts: 292 Member
    I watch it I love it too. I think a lot of people know that it is extreme training and don't think that kind of weight loss is normal
  • patricac
    patricac Posts: 255 Member
    I watched 2 episodes and they made me cry!!! I want to be at the "end" of this scale war one day. I wish they would provide more info on the nutritional limits they were put on. I know they're all watched pretty closely by doctors on shows like that. I'm a bit curious if they eat their exercise calories with all the moving they do! I know there's different consensus on different boards here. Also, I'd like to see a follow-up in a year. Did they maintain?
  • superwmn
    superwmn Posts: 936
    I'm addicted. I loved Mckenzie's episode. My overweight father would CONSTANTLY tell me how I needed to lose weight so my heart bled for her. At the end, when he sat on her bed and told her that she was worthy of love and beautiful exactly as she was (not thin, not fat, but as she was), I cried.

I also cried when she got under 200... when she plateaued and wanted to quit. This was a great episode.

She was beautiful heavy but when she came back from beauty school you could REALLY see how stunning her face is.

Charmagne
  • tater8589
    tater8589 Posts: 616
    I have seen a couple of episodes. I think its a great motivator for other teens who are in similar situations. It shows people that with hard work and some lifestyle changes they can accomplish their goals. It should go more into what type of diet they are put on. Maybe even a special episode that lays out a (general) workout plan and diet would be nice for some who want to know what the individuals on the show are doing to make their goals. As for how fast they drop the lbs, we have to keep in mind, the more you have to lose, the faster it comes off-- some of them still had some to lose, and if they stick to their plan they can accomplish it and keep it off. All depends on the will power of each individual.
  • mbakken90
    I mean, i realize it's not realistic to lose that much weight THAT fast...but i was just saying that it is an inspiration that no matter where you are in your life and no matter how much you weigh, if you put in hard work you can get the results you want! :)
  • mc1217
    mc1217 Posts: 108 Member
    ive seen every episode that has aired-- i love it!! watch the full versions for free (plus "trainer tips" videos) @ mtv.com! :smile:
  • Kristina0202
    Kristina0202 Posts: 188 Member
    I like the episode with the boy that was on a week or two ago. He got really cute.
  • Does anyone else watch that show? I just finished watching mackenzie's episode. It was really inspiring! I've watched a few episodes now. I'm really envious of those who can lose that much weight! I want to be like them haha. If anyone has any tips let me know!

i just watched that episode today too. i agree, it was really inspiring. she had stayed at 261 like 2 or 3 weigh ins remember? she got discouraged BUT she DIDN'T quit. that's the motivation i needed right there. b/c i'm going back and forth between 177-179. its not budging. but i'm NOT gonna quit! :D
  • I'm addicted. I loved Mckenzie's episode. My overweight father would CONSTANTLY tell me how I needed to lose weight so my heart bled for her. At the end, when he sat on her bed and told her that she was worthy of love and beautiful exactly as she was (not thin, not fat, but as she was), I cried.

I also cried when she got under 200... when she plateaued and wanted to quit. This was a great episode.

She was beautiful heavy but when she came back from beauty school you could REALLY see how stunning her face is.

Charmagne

I agree! I thought she was so pretty at her 273 weight too! And I felt so sorry for her that she felt so much pressure to get married. I've never seen that in my entire life! Crazy!
This discussion has been closed.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!