Splenda vs. Sugar

Options
I don't eat a lot of sugar except in my coffee :drinker: and sometimes my oatmeal. Is splenda better for me than regular sugar or does it really matter? I don't have any health issues that restrict me from sugar but I know it's obviously not going to help the weight loss if I keep the stuff in my diet! Help please :embarassed:

Replies

• ErikaLynn89
    Options
    I think that really depends on your thoughts about using artificial sweeteners. Personally, I always prefer real sugar which, in moderation, is not going to kill you. That being said, artificial sweeteners are great for keeping the calories and health issues out of your drinks. However, I'm not sure how I feel about the chemical aspect of the product. That's not to say I THINK they'll hurt me, I would just rather know that regular sugar in moderation is fine, versus the unknown of artificial sugar. So, to answer your question..I suggest you do some research, find out what you are comfortable with and go with that. I don't believe there's one answer for everyone.

Plus, real sugar just tastes better :)
  • robinmltn
    robinmltn Posts: 11
    Options
    I would definitely stay away from artificial sweeteners like splenda, but that's just personal preference. I try to eat very clean and splenda is the complete opposite of that. With so many health risks, it's not worth it for me to put in my body. I would rather bite the bullet and have a small amount of sugar. Honey is also a great natural sweetener, as is Stevia! I prefer the brand Stevia in the Raw because it's not super bitter. Maybe try something like have sugar half stevia in your coffee to see if you like the taste?
  • rahrahrita
    rahrahrita Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    I use Stevia and Truvia, never Splenda. If natural sugar substitutes aren't available, I'll eat sugar.
  • LabRat529
    LabRat529 Posts: 1,323 Member
    Options
    I think that really depends on your thoughts about using artificial sweeteners. Personally, I always prefer real sugar which, in moderation, is not going to kill you. That being said, artificial sweeteners are great for keeping the calories and health issues out of your drinks. However, I'm not sure how I feel about the chemical aspect of the product. That's not to say I THINK they'll hurt me, I would just rather know that regular sugar in moderation is fine, versus the unknown of artificial sugar. So, to answer your question..I suggest you do some research, find out what you are comfortable with and go with that. I don't believe there's one answer for everyone.

Plus, real sugar just tastes better :)

Wow. This is actually a very good, well reasoned argument. :) There is always a bit of an unknown factor with man made substances. There's really not a lot of strong evidence that artificial sweeteners are harmful (despite the scary stories that are sure to follow this post). I've read countless studies about them. I've seen reports saying they're harmful and even more reports saying they're fine and so I personally choose to partake. However, as this wise poster has noted, there's always a 'maybe', even if it's a small one, and so it's really about personal choice. My recommendation to the OP is: Don't ask trust MFPers. Do your own homework. Make a decision. Be happy. You really can't go wrong. It's not going to make or break your diet. And it's not going to seriously jeopardize your health whether you eat sugar, splenda, stevia, honey, etc...
  • txlissa62
    txlissa62 Posts: 128
    Options
    My doctor has advised staying away from all artificial sweeteners. He would actually prefer I stay away from sugar as much as possible, but he recommends turbinado sugar vs granulated sugar. I rarely have a need for sweetener, so I've just used regular sugar. However, every once in a while I want some iced tea, and I really don't like it unsweetened. I had been using Splenda, but haven't made a pitcher since seeing the doctor. I think I'm going to try making it with turbinado sugar next time, and only use half as much. I'd like to see if I can wean myself off sugar for tea.
  • Glucocorticoid
    Glucocorticoid Posts: 867 Member
    Options
    One has more calories than the other. It's really the only relevant difference.
  • nomayo
    nomayo Posts: 228
    Options
    I recently moved from splenda to truvia, just because of the taste, if I use 1 packet of splenda is OK, but if I use 2 or more (like using splenda on desserts) it tastes so terrible, like bitter taste mixed with metal... or as I imagine metal should taste like... But with truvia, I like the taste, I can add 2 packets of it to my coffee and tastes sweeter, not weird. And turbinado sugar I think is only 16 cal or so per teaspoon, so again, is another good option.

The choice is yours at the end, what suits your lifestyle, health restrictions, etc. Good luck.
  • MtnKat
    MtnKat Posts: 714
    Options
    I really like Splenda. A lot. Especially in my morning coffee (and sometimes in my morning oatmeal when I forget to bring honey or brown sugar to work). I cannot drink it any other way.

I'm educated, I know the downfalls of artificial sweeteners, I've read and researched. I don't care. At this time in my life, the loss of calories outweighs the pitfalls of Splenda. I'll be free of it when I'm free of coffee. But not until then.

It boils down to priorities for me. Calories lost wins...but it's all your choice.

Edit: Oh, I don't like Stevia....or any other artificial sweetener. Just Splenda.
  • Biggipooh
    Biggipooh Posts: 350
    Options
    I really like Splenda. A lot. Especially in my morning coffee (and sometimes in my morning oatmeal when I forget to bring honey or brown sugar to work). I cannot drink it any other way.

I'm educated, I know the downfalls of artificial sweeteners, I've read and researched. I don't care. At this time in my life, the loss of calories outweighs the pitfalls of Splenda. I'll be free of it when I'm free of coffee. But not until then.

It boils down to priorities for me. Calories lost wins...but it's all your choice.

Edit: Oh, I don't like Stevia....or any other artificial sweetener. Just Splenda.

Hmm I thought, Stevia was a natural sweetener, not an artificial.
  • rachemn
    rachemn Posts: 407 Member
    Options
    I confess...I love Splenda! Almost ashamed to admit it...I have packets, granular, liquid and brown. It's a sickness. I guess it's like a billion times sweeter than sugar, and I have SUCH a sweet tooth! Can't have sugar because it makes me sick. I do use Truvia for some cooking that Splenda doesn't work well in, but it's definitely not the same.
  • cordianet
    cordianet Posts: 534 Member
    Options
    I think it's a personal choice. As far as sweeteners go, I use sugar, raw honey, Splenda, Stevia, and agave, depending on what I'm doing and I don't think twice about it. As an aside, I always think it's funny when I hear people claim that Splenda is artificial, thus bad, and Stevia is natural, thus good. Well, guess what folks, belladonna and hemlock are both 100% natural, but it doesn't mean I want to go putting them in my coffee!
  • toniapennroberts
    Options
    Stevia is a natural
    Sweetener! And it's the only thing I use!!
  • toniapennroberts
    Options
    At home that is
  • weightliftingdiva
    weightliftingdiva Posts: 522 Member
    Options
    One has more calories than the other. It's really the only relevant difference.

This. I don't like the taste of any artificial sweetener, so I use real sugar in my coffee when I'm in the mood. It has nothing to do with clean/natural/chemical stuff for me. I just don't like the taste. I find splenda to be way too sweet and sweet n' low has a weird after taste for me. In my experience, splenda is best in a quick bread like a banana bread where there are lots of flavors going on to mask the weirdness.
  • keeponkickin
    keeponkickin Posts: 1,520 Member
    Options
    It's a personal decision but I highly recommend doing some research on artificial sweeteners. I have sadly used them for many years because I'm a type 1 diabetic. The past couple of years I've been battling severe joint pain and inflammation. Did some research and I believe there's a link between the pain and the artificial sweeteners. I stopped using them cold turkey a week ago, bought some stevia and use real sugar in small amounts. After one week I am off prescription anti inflammatory meds and I'm feeling better overall. Proof enough for me to stay clear of the chemical sweeteners, including Truvia (not a pure stevia product).
  • martyqueen52
    martyqueen52 Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    It doesn't matter man... it really doesn't.

Splenda isn't natural... there's no denying that.

Bottled water and tap isn't natural either, if you believe it is you're a fool beyond comprehension.

Eat / drink what you enjoy.

And the Splenda studies, are done on RATS dosed with copious amounts of it at one time.
  • itsbasschick
    itsbasschick Posts: 1,584 Member
    Options
    i use stevia because splenda doesn't agree with me. stevia is calorie free and tastes similar to artificial sweeteners but is from a plant. if you decide to try it, be aware that some brands add dextrose to the stevia powder - i get mine at trader joe's, where the bottles are pure stevia, although i think the packets have a little dextrose or something.
  • Amandastan
    Options
    Splenda has no calories and sugar does.
    However it's made with chemicals. natural sugars like honey are the way to go.
  • martyqueen52
    martyqueen52 Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    Actually, Splenda has 1G of carbs, which is 4 calories. So... every Splenda packet is 4 calories... which is chump change, but, it does have calories.

Anything under 5 calories FDA allows to be classified as calorie free for some reason.