Feet falling asleep while running

Options
2»

Replies

• cbear1179
    Options
    Just saw this post and thought I'd chime in. Not sure if you are still having an issue with your feet falling asleep or not, but I found this is a fairly common problem and it's usually temporary. I had the same problem when I first started running. I was a bit overweight and somewhere around 20 minutes or so into my run one or both of my feet would start to tingle. When I stopped, the feeling would come back after a few minutes but then when I would start to run again, the numbness would come back. When I asked my peers about this problem they ALL said that my shoes were too tight. So I loosened my shoes but that didn't solve the problem. so I went to my doctor. He told me this was a common problem for beginner and overwieght runners. the reason, he said, was becuase the nerves in the balls of my feet were being compressed as I ran. He referred me to a pediotrist to perscribed special orthotics. He also told me to contiue to run and to lose weight. I took his advice and after a couple of months the problem went away.
  • Pool3boy
    Options
    So many people have said its the sand. I disagree; I run with my platoon in ROTC and today we did 4miles and I had the same problem. We were running at a 9 minute mile pace con asphalt and my feet did the same thing. I have no suggestions just saying that I recently started running in arch supporting shoes because my arch fell (it hurt really bad) haha and the arch supporting shoes could be doing it.. So check your shoes.
  • KLAutry64
    KLAutry64 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I run 3 to 4 days a week....every week. I just started training for a marathon so I have incorporated a speed workout and did the first one today. My foot fell asleep about 2.75 miles in. I did not have this problem until today. I thought maybe new shoes. However, this was also the first time I ran on a dirt/sand track at the local YMCA. Was doing speed work. I thinking, like a lot of the people said, it is the running surface. I'm going to do my speed work on an asphalt track next week and see how that does.
  • veganbettie
    veganbettie Posts: 701 Member
    Options
    I haven't read all the posts, but my feet do the same thing. At first it was once I hit a mile, then I would keep running, now it's when I hit 3 miles or so....I'm pretty sure its because of how my feet are striking the ground, once my feet start falling asleep I'll running on my tippy toes for a few steps every once in a while and it will stop. It's bizarre....

I've tried different shoes as well.

And sometimes it doesn't even happen. I think when I focus on my foot striking it doesn't really happen...And the more I run the less it happens as well, or the longer it takes to happen.
  • veganbettie
    veganbettie Posts: 701 Member
    Options
    Hey I just read that you're in Santa Barbara!! I'm in Ojai/Ventura!

Small world. :)
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    I run 3 to 4 days a week....every week. I just started training for a marathon so I have incorporated a speed workout and did the first one today. My foot fell asleep about 2.75 miles in. I did not have this problem until today. I thought maybe new shoes. However, this was also the first time I ran on a dirt/sand track at the local YMCA. Was doing speed work. I thinking, like a lot of the people said, it is the running surface. I'm going to do my speed work on an asphalt track next week and see how that does.

Speed work, as in almost sprinting, and possibly increasing the stride length?

Or truly just doing faster turnover, and you are sure exact same stride length?

Because when you lengthen the stride, your fore-foot angle will be sharper, allowing the shoe to dig in to the top of the foot more to hold on, more inflexible the shoe, worse the problem.

May need to loosen the laces.

If the latter and just increased steps but same stride, then more pounding, and feet may just be swelling more.

That swelling more also occurs with first issue though since increased air time means increased impact. Now double whammy, bigger swelled foot, harder pressure on top of foot.
  • ParkerH47
    ParkerH47 Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    My toes and balls of my feet go numb when I run as well! I thought I was just a weirdo...

I would ask - if you already have an appointment why not, right?

I may try this glute stretching business to see if that helps. Good luck!
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    My toes and balls of my feet go numb when I run as well! I thought I was just a weirdo...

I would ask - if you already have an appointment why not, right?

I may try this glute stretching business to see if that helps. Good luck!

That can also be a nerve problem, and you don't want to be continually numbing a nerve, not good.

That's if having loser shoe laces doesn't fix it.