Rewarding reaching my goal weight with a big cheat meal?

Options
So I just reached my goal weight for the week (and almost my overall goal weight). I was so happy that tonight after work I was like F*** IT! Congrats to me! Just enjoy what I want! So I basically ate 750 cals over maintenance today. Yea it isn't so much that I regret it but I kind of wished I had a different mindset and didn't just eat all of that junk... I know I can control myself but I was just like "whatever" today.
Is this okay? Does anyone else do this?
I will be back tomorrow to my normal exercising and calorie consumption. I guess I could count this as a cheat day?

Replies

• iggyboo93
    iggyboo93 Posts: 524 Member
    Options
    Congrats on reaching your weekly goal!! :smile: :flowerforyou: I don't see a problem with a periodic food reward when you reach a goal - just suggest not making that a habit. I tried this a long time ago - I would reward myself with a DQ peanut buster parfait for every 5 pound loss. That didn't end well. Special events like birthdays or anniversaries should include a treat if you like - it's even better tasting if you still manage to stay under your daily calorie allotment.

Would suggest really treating yourself when you reach a milestone. A mani/pedi, massage, a book, a weekend trip, a new outfit.... For example - I'm planning on getting my hair colored at my next milestone. 2 pounds to go..... :smile:
  • Spiderkeys
    Spiderkeys Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    Not really, just decrease your usual maintance calorie limit by aroundt 200 for the next three days, then you get back in normal routine and say that the day didn't even happen.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    Of course it's OK to enjoy your food!

One day is a drop in the ocean compared to the rest of your life. Looking forward there are going to be days when you want to go over and days when you naturally come in under calories. Maintenance doesn't have to be a lifetime of restriction.

The idea you have to feel guilty or pay some sort of penance for enjoying yourself is patently ridiculous.
  • antredmond
    antredmond Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Im sorry to piggy back on this thread but I am sort of in the same position. I have about 4 Lbs to go to where I want to be but what then? I have been restricting myself to under 1500 cals.

I would like to stay around 14 stone 7lbs but do I gradually increase calories? Ive also seen some fantastic bodies in photos and would like to tone my stomach muscles. I was doing sit-ups but put my back out possibly through doing the sit-ups, is there another way?
  • langurmonkey
    Options
    Gradually increasing calories is the way. Alternatives to sit-ups are things like leg raises, planks, crunches, bicycle abs.
  • NWalerys1
    Options
    Im sorry to piggy back on this thread but I am sort of in the same position. I have about 4 Lbs to go to where I want to be but what then? I have been restricting myself to under 1500 cals.

I would like to stay around 14 stone 7lbs but do I gradually increase calories? Ive also seen some fantastic bodies in photos and would like to tone my stomach muscles. I was doing sit-ups but put my back out possibly through doing the sit-ups, is there another way?

Congrats to you! If you want to tone your stomach (and I am assuming keep your current weight) then my advice to you would be to decrease body fat percentage. Basically just decrease your body fat and increase your muscle. You won't be able to see your abs and toned stomach unless you get rid of extra fat.
    What I am doing about my goal weight is that I am going to go around 3 to 4 pounds below my goal weight. That way, I will be able to weigh myself at ANY time of day and will still be under my overall goal weight and will feel amazing about myself!
  • The_Enginerd
    The_Enginerd Posts: 3,983 Member
    Options

Sit ups are not going to get you there. They aren't even a good core exercise. Planks and let raises are much better, and stuff like Pilates targets the core well.

Honestly though, 80% of getting there is diet/genetics. You need to lose enough body fat to get a flat stomach, and where you store your body fat is genetic. Weight training and getting enough protein also helps; you can have more muscle and be at a lower BF while at the same weight. There are many examples on this site of people who got an awesome body doing nothing but weight training and never a single sit up.
  • ninav1980
    ninav1980 Posts: 514 Member
    Options
    I do that periodically but not because I reached a goal. Just because I was craving something that I didnt want to portion control. Its good to indulge every now and then. It is for me anyway :laugh:
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,871 Member
    Options
    Ummm....nobody got fat from eating 750 calories over maintenance for one day. The human body is pretty good at taking care of itself and using excess energy...you have to consistently over eat or under-eat to override your body's ability to maintain. 750 calories excess in one day is no biggie.

I've been maintaining for 16 months now and I have at least one or two days per week where I'm well in excess of my maintenance calories, yet I have been maintaining without issue.
  • cherrilovee
    cherrilovee Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    A cheat meal is alright every once in a while, as long as you're not doing this every week! :) Enjoy your cheat meals! :)
  • nxd10
    nxd10 Posts: 4,570 Member
    Options
    Congratulations!

Does it matter? In the big picture? No. As long as you make it up this week. The hard thing about maintenance is that when you are at a deficit, going over brings you to maintenance. At maintenance, going over means you gain weight. Just saying.

In terms of mindset . . . I eat everything I want to eat. I just have learned that I can enjoy a small amount MORE than I enjoy a large around. But sometimes, sure, everyone goes over on calories. Just like sometimes we go way under.
  • Springfield1970
    Springfield1970 Posts: 1,945 Member
    Options
    Ummm....nobody got fat from eating 750 calories over maintenance for one day. The human body is pretty good at taking care of itself and using excess energy...you have to consistently over eat or under-eat to override your body's ability to maintain. 750 calories excess in one day is no biggie.

I've been maintaining for 16 months now and I have at least one or two days per week where I'm well in excess of my maintenance calories, yet I have been maintaining without issue.

Ah. This explains why I can overeat every few days but not seem to gain weight! Even when I don't get round to cutting after.

I do notice I'm more energetic and animated too, or I have a few more sprints or push harder with the weights.

It's that NEAT thing isn't it?!

Bit of a light bulb moment going on here for me.....
  • Blacklance36
    Blacklance36 Posts: 755 Member
    Options
    Nothing wrong with giving yourself a reward. 750 calories is not huge. If you regret it just do something over the next few days to burn it off.
  • BramageOMG
    BramageOMG Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    I have 9 lbs to go, and on that day, I will eat over my calories. No harm, no foul. Just a nice reward, then I start a new program of weight lifting to put lean mass on. I opted to drop the excess weight first as opposed to trying to do both. Day one will be logged, "but wont count" :)
  • elisa123gal
    elisa123gal Posts: 4,301 Member
    Options
    No harm…go ahead. It is all good…. you've got this!:flowerforyou:
  • IllustratedxGirl
    IllustratedxGirl Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    I'm gonna pig out for a whole day when I reach my goal weight LOL.. Just one day though ;)
  • BIGBMF
    BIGBMF Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Eating to celebrate has never worked for me. You start making every event a reason to cheat. Could just be me though.
  • rsclause
    rsclause Posts: 3,103 Member
    Options
    Me, I think calling it a cheat meal is a bad idea. Around here its like telling the IRS I cheat on my taxes. Bad meal decisions will happen, no need to plan and force it. I am maintaining now and the the only things I changed are that I quit logging and I drink more beer. My eating habits are the same.
  • MinimalistShoeAddict
    MinimalistShoeAddict Posts: 1,946 Member
    Options
    Congratulations!

I see nothing at all wrong with your celebration. You earned it
  • kalo88
    kalo88 Posts: 9
    Options
    If you enjoy food... and you can't enjoy it once in a while, you'll be miserable.

My thing is... As long as i'm good approx 5 out of 7 days a week, if I want a little treat here and there on the other 2 I should be fine. I dont mean eating 3000 calories a day but you know what I mean!

Worked pretty well for me so far, 79lbs lost.