help for total gym virgin?

Options
Hello everyone.

I literally just finished signing up for my gym membership.
I am scheduled for an orentation on Saturday morning.

However I'd like to and am able use it before then.

However I've never used a gym before. It's s really intimidating.

I don't know how to use any machine or even what order to do anything in.

So now I'm sitting here in the parking lot asking you guys for help.

Where do I start. What sound i, as a total gym virgin do to start getting acclimated to the gym?

Replies

• Bj0223
    Bj0223 Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    I can understand that feeling. I would suggest asking the person at the first desk if there is someone close by that could give you a brief overview of _________ machine and maybe a second machine. Let them know you have orientation Saturday but just couldn't wait to use the facility. I bet they will be more than happy to show you a couple machines and point you in the right direction.
  • MagnumBurrito
    MagnumBurrito Posts: 1,070 Member
    Options
    Walk like a boss to the dumbell rack. Rip your shirt off like the hulk. Grab a 5 lb dumbell and make loud grunts with every rep. Throw dumbell down. Strut out. Go home and read this article.

http://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/2014/08/18/proper-gym-etiquette-how-to-not-be-a-newbie-in-the-gym/
  • SpencerGJackson
    SpencerGJackson Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Walk like a boss to the dumbell rack. Rip your shirt off like the hulk. Grab a 5 lb dumbell and make loud grunts with every rep. Throw dumbell down. Strut out. Go home and read this article.

http://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/2014/08/18/proper-gym-etiquette-how-to-not-be-a-newbie-in-the-gym/
    ironically i just got that nerd fitness email today.
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    they should have someone at the front desk to walk you through the first day to show you were things are. you should also be getting at least 1 (sometimes 2) free sessions with a trainer as well.

good luck!
  • SpencerGJackson
    Options
    they should have someone at the front desk to walk you through the first day to show you were things are. you should also be getting at least 1 (sometimes 2) free sessions with a trainer as well.

good luck!
    They did show me around. I just have no clue where to start and what i should be doing.
  • WombatHat42
    WombatHat42 Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    Hello everyone.

Where do I start. What sound i, as a total gym virgin do to start getting acclimated to the gym?

First off, dont be intimidated by the gym. No one there will mock you or any of the such. If anything they would applaud a person for getting healthy. It doesnt matter if you are 95 lbs or 950lbs no one will even stare since most are in their own zone.

2nd, I would recommend getting a trainer. They are perfect to show you right technique for everything. If you cant afford one, ask a friend you know that lifts a lot to help you out once in a while. Also you could join a workout class at the gym that will show you how to do stuff and even some universities(comm. colleges) offer weight training courses for cheap that show you everything from technique to developing a proper workout routine.

3rd, It would be better for you to use machines for now(for most things) until you figure out proper mechanics and build a bit of muscle. Then after youve advanced a bit move to free weights(but might want to lower the weight a bit since you wont have the stabilizer muscles developed)

4th, I personally prefer to do cardio first as if I am too sore after a leg day of lifting I might skip or wont be able to run as much and have a higher chance of injury

5th, be sure to do each muscle group equally. If you do chest, do shoulders. Biceps/triceps, quads/hamstrings/glutes, calves/shins, abs/low back. If you are doing 3x a week, do all groups each time. If 5-6x a week do upper body one day lower the next. I prefer to do abs about every day doing one hard day the next lighter but do different exercises.

6th, ALWAYS do a warm up and stretch first. warm up with 5 minutes @ 3mph walking or 5 min on stationary bike and then stretch the muscles you will be working for that day. And I do the abs at the end for a couple reasons. One it works as my cool down, two it gives a bit of a stretch and three it prevents injury when doing some other lifts(ie squat deadlift and other full body lifts)

7th, do not attempt certain lifts without proper supervision, instruction and spotting. This includes deadlift, squat, hangclean, bench press. AND NEVER use the smith machine for squat/deadlift, anyone that tells you otherwise does not know what they are talking about.

edit: if you like add me I am willing to help you out with developing a workout for you to get started then as you research you can find something better to fit your needs.
  • SpencerGJackson
    Options
    Hello everyone.

First off, dont be intimidated by the gym. No one there will mock you or any of the such. If anything they would applaud a person for getting healthy. It doesnt matter if you are 95 lbs or 950lbs no one will even stare since most are in their own zone.

2nd, I would recommend getting a trainer. They are perfect to show you right technique for everything. If you cant afford one, ask a friend you know that lifts a lot to help you out once in a while. Also you could join a workout class at the gym that will show you how to do stuff and even some universities(comm. colleges) offer weight training courses for cheap that show you everything from technique to developing a proper workout routine.

3rd, It would be better for you to use machines for now(for most things) until you figure out proper mechanics and build a bit of muscle. Then after youve advanced a bit move to free weights(but might want to lower the weight a bit since you wont have the stabilizer muscles developed)

4th, I personally prefer to do cardio first as if I am too sore after a leg day of lifting I might skip or wont be able to run as much and have a higher chance of injury

5th, be sure to do each muscle group equally. If you do chest, do shoulders. Biceps/triceps, quads/hamstrings/glutes, calves/shins, abs/low back. If you are doing 3x a week, do all groups each time. If 5-6x a week do upper body one day lower the next. I prefer to do abs about every day doing one hard day the next lighter but do different exercises.

6th, ALWAYS do a warm up and stretch first. warm up with 5 minutes @ 3mph walking or 5 min on stationary bike and then stretch the muscles you will be working for that day. And I do the abs at the end for a couple reasons. One it works as my cool down, two it gives a bit of a stretch and three it prevents injury when doing some other lifts(ie squat deadlift and other full body lifts)

7th, do not attempt certain lifts without proper supervision, instruction and spotting. This includes deadlift, squat, hangclean, bench press. AND NEVER use the smith machine for squat/deadlift, anyone that tells you otherwise does not know what they are talking about.

edit: if you like add me I am willing to help you out with developing a workout for you to get started then as you research you can find something better to fit your needs.
    Thank you. I appreciate it.
  • SpencerGJackson
    Options
    Bump for more opinions.
  • dakotababy
    dakotababy Posts: 2,406 Member
    Options
    Start on a treadmill. Watch others and what they are doing, look for another machine you could use/some what familiar with. Continue this until you know the gym like the back of your hand!
  • tjbrinson
    Options
    What you do at the gym really depends on what your ultimate goals are? I haven't seen your profile, but judging from your '7 lbs to go' status, it doesn't sound like you are that much over weight. Perhaps you just want to get tone. If that is that case, then just about every machine in the gym will help you do that, as long as you know how to use it. Can't show in a message board how to do that, but I'm sure by now you've figured that out. If not, just searching the name of the machine into you tube will pull up some visual examples. However, let's say you want to train from something specific, like world's strongest man event. Then free weights will do the trick. Let's say you want to do an Ironman Competition, lots of cardio, specifically swimming, biking, running. How you train (or use the gym) really depends on what you want to accomplish.

A few warnings...
    Don't start out too fast, too intense, too heavy, too quickly. You will get injured and it will take you twice as long to get to where you want to go. Start off slowly.
    Muscle confusion. It works for losing weight. Don't allow your muscles to learn how to do the same movements using less energy. This is key if you want to tone or lose weight. (This becomes less important when you are training for certain events like Ironman, which you do want your body to learn how to do something using less effort).
    Don't forget to rest.
    Nutrition. You need proper nutrition in order for you body to respond, and adapt, as you want.

Good luck!
  • Soccermavrick
    Soccermavrick Posts: 405 Member
    Options
    Hawk has it right. (Though I may disagree with #7 and the Smith machine, but I am hardheaded.) Gym goers tend to respect other gym goers, especially once they start to see them there regularly, regardless of physical shape or strength.

Second - if the orientation is not with a trainer, ask if they have a fitness test or evaluation. Most gyms though will set you up with a basic routine in orientation. Members with a routine are significantly more likily to continue and not cancel. Most of the time the first visit is free.

Of course if you have friends, ask them to walk you through, a day guest pass if they lift elsewhere is normally only $10, if not free for the first visit.

Or worst case scenrio, spend the money for a couple, I said couple, of training sessions. (Gyms will sell you ten or twenty sessions packages, it is a money maker for them, but one or two and you can normally get off and running. Then in a few months go back for another if you want.)

Second - b - After a session or two you will probably notice a few guys hanging out by the desk, drinking shakes, often times one or two of these guys will have a few minutes to discuss things. (Often they are done or getting ready to start, but still probably open to being helpful. Catching guys between sets, is probably not the time to expect an extended conversation.)

Third - Utube, Internet, even MFP have basic weight training suggestions, do a web search. And there are hundreds of different suggestions out there, no one suggestion is perfect.

Fourth - Start out with basic movements, Bench Press, Lat Pulls, Squats, or Leg Extensions & Curls. You do not need to be doing advanced techniques. Nor maxing out weight wise.

Fifth - if you have not been shown how to use Free Weights, stay on the machines. Machines limit movement, but it also forces you to follow a form. Plus most machines have a basic picture guide. With Free Weights FORM is everything.

Sixth - check the ego at the door, when you are starting out, you are trying to improve you, not out lift anyone and everyone around you. (There will be some guys that are, do not fall into that trap, that is an EASY way to injury yourself.)
  • lewispwest
    lewispwest Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    I'll just throw my 2 cents in here. I was terrified of going for the first time when I started my diet but soon you realise that generally they do not care about any one else there, they are far too concerned with what they are doing to be judging others so don't worry :)