On the go bread replacement options?

Options
I've been doing pretty well going grain free for the past several months. I do have grains from time to time, but it's modest. Thus far the results have been fantastic. I've just started a new job which requires a lot of time out of the house and on the go, so I need some quick and easy swaps for bread for my daily lunches, which will likely take the form of a wrap or a sandwich. Doing fancy grilled eggplant rounds might not be feasible considering how much time that stuff takes. I am not totally averse to all grain - mostly I'd like the swap to be low-carb. Anyone have a favorite?

Replies

• cherrylf
    cherrylf Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Try Romain lettuce. I use the leaves and wrap whatever would be in a sandwich. Try whole foods and/or Trader Joe's, they have no grain wraps as well.
  • aheard3
    aheard3 Posts: 1
    Options
    You can use the really large outside leaves of a head of lettuce.
  • maroonmango211
    maroonmango211 Posts: 908 Member
    Options
    Lettuce? I use it to replace most sandwich/wrap type bread options when the rest of my family have them. I use romaine heart pieces for things like tuna salad (the stiffness makes it easier to eat) or larger leaves like green/red leaf to wrap cold cuts or burgers. I dont know how well it works if you make it ahead of time as I usually pack both separate and put together as I eat it, but its worked well.
  • moodyfeesh14
    moodyfeesh14 Posts: 811 Member
    Options
    la tortilla factory has a low carb tortilla that i like it only has 6g net carbs or by large leaf lettuces like romain or red lettuce and make wraps out of that
  • Lelah77
    Lelah77 Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    I like to eat tuna salad and chicken salad out of a pepper half. It is tasty and crispy and bulky. I have also done the romaine wrap, but find it less filling and satisfying. I have seen people wrap their veggies in their lunch meat, too. I have a coworker who rolls up onions, tomatoes & sometimes shredded carrots in her turkey.
  • ldy_78
    ldy_78 Posts: 61
    Options
    I like to eat tuna salad and chicken salad out of a pepper half. It is tasty and crispy and bulky. I have also done the romaine wrap, but find it less filling and satisfying. I have seen people wrap their veggies in their lunch meat, too. I have a coworker who rolls up onions, tomatoes & sometimes shredded carrots in her turkey.

A pepper! Brilliant idea!
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,834 Member
    Options
    2 slices of bread (normal size) is around 170 cals. You can't fit that in to your day?
  • ldy_78
    Options
    2 slices of bread (normal size) is around 170 cals. You can't fit that in to your day?

I can't digest large amounts of wheat... but I can eat other grains, including gluten.
  • RunMyOregonBunsOff
    RunMyOregonBunsOff Posts: 862 Member
    Options
    Have you checked out quinoa bread? I don't know the carb info because I wasn't really counting carbs when we were using it.
  • JeninBelgium
    JeninBelgium Posts: 804 Member
    Options
    This might sound weird but have you considered making crepes or other large, thin pancakes? - make in advance and then keep in the freezer and heat up lightly in a pan for 30 seconds (or nuke in microwave but less desirable) and fill as you would a sandwich- roll -up - I am sure you can make with any kind of grain, and as you can make them egg-y (kind of an omelet meets a pancake) - they can be relatively low carb high protein

I like them made with buckwheat which apparently even those with gluten intolerance can eat (I know you said this is not your issue, but wanted to mention for others who may be reading).
  • SnuggleSmacks
    SnuggleSmacks Posts: 3,731 Member
    Options
    How about corn tortillas?
  • ldy_78
    Options
    This might sound weird but have you considered making crepes or other large, thin pancakes? - make in advance and then keep in the freezer and heat up lightly in a pan for 30 seconds (or nuke in microwave but less desirable) and fill as you would a sandwich- roll -up - I am sure you can make with any kind of grain, and as you can make them egg-y (kind of an omelet meets a pancake) - they can be relatively low carb high protein

I like them made with buckwheat which apparently even those with gluten intolerance can eat (I know you said this is not your issue, but wanted to mention for others who may be reading).

That's a great idea. I think I'm going to try that. I found a decent recipe for gluten free crepes online - and bob's red mill makes an awesome gluten free flour. Thanks!