No hunger, at all...

Options
So I have attempted this diet thing in the past, when I really stick to it, it works, too well. I've always eaten semi healthy save for an extreme psychological addiction to cherry coke, ie cigarettes bad, 3-4 bottles a day. Removing it from my diet alone removes so many calories nothing will replace it sufficiently creating a deficit that is easy to hold, I lose about 10 lbs a month.

So I started a relationship with a new army girlfriend who lives a pretty healthy life and before she shipped out I told her I'd work on my health a little. I decided to do way more than a little. I walk every night, dropped coke altogether again, and started portion control. About a month into any diet, I have this problem where I stop being hungry, ever. Only this time, I'm a week in and its started, I'm struggling to eat more than 600-1000 calories a day, entering rapid weight loss, and honestly I feel fine. I drink plenty of water. I know most people are hungry all the time, but I never am I really have no idea whats going on.

Replies

• eslcity
    eslcity Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    I also found myself never really hungry anymore... but that does not stop me from eating at my scheduled time.... being hungry is not requirement for eating and being healthy.... if you are required to eat... XXXX Calories then divided it into 3 meals..

force yourself to eat your required calories....
  • williamlamme
    Options
    Well I'm giving force feed a shot and I can make it to about half my required calorie intake before I feel so full I could throw up. Pulled pork sandwich with some pickles seemed to revive my appetite. But in general I'm still not hungry. It's looking like I'm gonna lose 30 lbs in the next 30 days, seems unhealthy. I wanna add in a snack but one coke or snack cake and Ill be 270 in the next 30 days instead. Hard to find a balance. I feel great though, not really having any ill side effects so far. I exercise every night except Sunday.
  • Golden_Grizz
    Golden_Grizz Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I have to agree with eslcity on this. I have hypothyroidism and a metabolism that is a pain to keep working because of it. Since I've started using MFP, hungry or not, I try to eat at least something light every four hours or so. I don't get hungry and if not on a schedule like now, I tend to forget to eat, counting calories or not.

Just keep working at it. If you start feeling sick, set it down and come back to it in a little bit once your stomach settles. That's what works best for me.
  • pitchf0rk
    pitchf0rk Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    You can also try to add some healthy calorie dense food like avocados or nuts to your diet. You don't need to eat a lot of them, but they will increase your calorie intake and they are full of healthy Omega 3 fats. Also try to avoid light products. Go for the real stuff.
  • ana3067
    ana3067 Posts: 5,623 Member
    Options
    You can also try to add some healthy calorie dense food like avocados or nuts to your diet. You don't need to eat a lot of them, but they will increase your calorie intake and they are full of healthy Omega 3 fats. Also try to avoid light products. Go for the real stuff.

I 2nd this. Add 2tsp of peanut/nut butter to your breakfast every day, that gives you an additional ~200 cals without it filling up your stomach all that much. What kind of foods do you eat most often? It could be that you respond better to calorie dense dieting. Or maybe better to volume-dense. I prefer hgiher volume of food but I can still work with calorie-dense meals that aren't super filling depending on when I'm eating them. Try drinking some of your calories - milk, juice, even a beer or two.

Also how are you tracking your food, by weighing or measuring? You could be vastly underestimating what you are eating if you are measuring inconsistently, or even if you weigh things inconsistently. Or simply using the wrong entries, e.g. you measure cooked chicken but use raw nutritional info instead.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    Hunger vs appetite...

Hunger is not the best indicator of what hte body needs...

As a matter of fact there is a mechanism in our bodies that shuts down hunger cues if we go long enough with little to no food as a survival mechanism. IE faminie

It actually sounds like more of an appetite thing...if pulled pork helped out.

I have very little appetite myself...just bored with food but I get hungry....weak, lethargic etc.

Just because you are losing weight it doesn't mean you can't eat foods that are high in calories..ie your coke.

My diary is full of chocolate, long island iced tea, Hamburgers etc.
  • atkinsshake
    atkinsshake Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    IMHO I would stay clear of the soda. I know some people are saying to increase calories with juice, beer, etc. but this is all sugar and will make you go right back to where you don't want to be. I agree that perhaps "drinking some calories" may be a good option but make it healthy. If you simply don't have the time or inclination to make your own shakes, they sell some pretty good ones in your health food store that you can supplement into your diet. Stay away from anything sugar ladened. I agree with adding fats, like nuts, peanut butter and avocados. They are Calorically dense and you don't need to eat a whole lot to meet your daily caloric requirements unless you are a marathon runner or exercise for long periods of time.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    IMHO I would stay clear of the soda. I know some people are saying to increase calories with juice, beer, etc. but this is all sugar and will make you go right back to where you don't want to be. I agree that perhaps "drinking some calories" may be a good option but make it healthy. If you simply don't have the time or inclination to make your own shakes, they sell some pretty good ones in your health food store that you can supplement into your diet. Stay away from anything sugar ladened. I agree with adding fats, like nuts, peanut butter and avocados. They are Calorically dense and you don't need to eat a whole lot to meet your daily caloric requirements unless you are a marathon runner or exercise for long periods of time.

what's wrong with sugar from Juice or cola? or calories from beer?

To stay away from things "sugar ladened" includes fruits etc...which is not great advice.
  • mordensurrey
    mordensurrey Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I don't feel hungry at all anymore. I try to eat but I am full with 2 spoons is it normal
  • williamlamme
    Options
    Well my beef against cola is its my achilles heal, any emotional upset, bad day, anxiety just makes me lose all self control. It's simply not an option since its probably responsible for most of my weight gain in my life (440,000 calories a year). I don't particularly like chocolate and havnt eaten it in 10 years, thats more of a body rejects it sort of thing. (too rich)

I measure meats and fruit by weight, and dry food by cups or serving size as close as possible. I try to account for any added ingredients.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    Some fat people - especially those with eating disorders - tend to mistake "I want to eat" for hunger. When they feel actual hunger, they think they're starving. So that your problem? Are you just not wanting to eat all the time and thinking you aren't hungry?

If you truly never feel hunger, you should visit the doctor. Everyone should before starting a weight loss journey, anyway. But there could be some physical reason for it and you want to know if there is.

I hope it's nothing. It's probably nothing! But you should have it checked. Netter safe than sorry!
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,401 MFP Moderator
    Options
    If you struggle to get calories, just eat higher calorie foods. Many will add calories without changing satiety. I would add nuts, protein bars, protein shakes, olive oil of meats (cook them in it), marinade your foods, cheese on everything lol, ice cream or going to town on a peanut butter jar.

Personally, i love food way too much to not eat.