Burninng more than you take in

Options
I am on a 1200 calorie diet, but after exercise the net calories I took in today totaled only 500. This is my daily diet recently. If I try to increase my calorie intake, I consistently go over the limits for fats and sodium and come dangerously high in vitamin A and C levels (I never thought I would say I was actually getting enough vitamin C). Carbs and proteins are at acceptable levels. Basically, the only thing I can do to increase my caloric intake is to find something that has no fat, sodium, or vitamins. I know almonds will come close to solving this problem because, even though it's high in fat they are good fats. But I HATE raw almonds and cooked ones lose their advantage. Is there a problem with this pattern, or is it okay as long as I am getting the necessary vitamins, protein, etc.? Any suggestions?

Replies

• yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    Your macros look to be 1,200 cals 27F 135P 105C or 45 % protein, this would be regarded as excessive by most.

So your problem with the fat limit is self imposed by having such a high protein goal. Trade 5 or 10% of your calories from protein to fat and the issue goes away ?

Is there a dangerous high level of vitamin A & C ? if so reduce the specific foods high in those things.
  • stuffinmuffin
    stuffinmuffin Posts: 985 Member
    Options
    Maybe increase your calories, 1200 is really low and to actually be detrimentally over on any protein, fat or carbs on that amount of food is probably impossible.
  • oneoddsock
    oneoddsock Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    Yes - there is a problem. You're not eating enough. You should net 1200 after exercise, and perhaps even more because that is a low intake for most people.

How are you getting too much vitamin C? I wouldn't worry about it; your body can't hold on to vitamin C for very long so you do need to keep replenishing it. I think the same goes for vitamin A.

Did you ever hear of anyone getting ill from overindulging in vitamins? I doubt it. Did you ever hear of anyone getting ill from not eating enough? I hear about them all the time.
  • Coolfloridian
    Coolfloridian Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Thank you everyone for your input. I made a few of the suggested changes and it has all worked out.
  • Coolfloridian
    Coolfloridian Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I misspoke when I mentioned getting too much vitamin C. Oneoddsock is correct that the body will quickly get rid of vitamins B and C. However, vitamins A,D,E and K are stored in fat tissue and can easily build up to toxic concentrations. I did a little more research on toxic vitamin levels and my intake was low enough that I no longer worry about it.