How to determine if you should increase or decrease calories

Options
I've read many toopics about individuals saying after increasing there calories the weight fell off again at a rapid pace or it was the other way around decreasing more calories the weight fell off. I myself have been playing with my calories and have just been around the same weight for months with a couple pounds up or down. I don't want to increase and gain but I also do not want to decrease and feel like I Im still hungry etc. Currerntly 6'3" weight is always around 250-252. Current calories are at 2550.
Any advice would be appreciated.
Thanks

Replies

• jetrok
    jetrok Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    what is the quality of food you are eating?
  • minhy
    minhy Posts: 5
    Options
    Assuming you're eating relatively clean, yes increasing your calories for a day or two can rev your metabolism back up and getting on your diet will show more results (this might put back on some weight, but it will be worth it). However, if you haven't had any significant amount of weight loss FIRST, it means you should decrease your calories more. I believe this would be the case as your weight fluctuations have been around 250-252 which shows that you're just maintaining your body weight. You're either eating too much, or not working out enough in intensity or volume. I would say drop your calories by 100, increase the intensity of your workouts (this won't be easy) and stick with it for two weeks. If you've lost a couple of pounds, keep at it until you can't lose anymore (that's when you should increase your calories for a day, then drop it back down). If you didn't lose anything and are still around 250-252, decrease it by another 100. Keep decreasing until you're losing weight, and then start the cycle of staying on your diet consistently, then having one or two high calorie days every few weeks before getting back on it.
  • KarenJanine
    KarenJanine Posts: 3,497 Member
    Options
    Are you accurately weighing and measuring everything you eat? Are your current 2550 calories net or gross? If they are net, what exercise (and how often) are you doing and how are you measuring the calorie burns?

If you are and your weight has remained stable for a couple of months then you are at maintenance. Therefore you may need to adjust your intake downwards to a point where you are losing again. Aim to find a calorie intake that gives you a 1lb per week weight loss. Expecting the weight to 'fall off' is setting yourself up for failure.
  • nosebag1212
    nosebag1212 Posts: 621 Member
    Options
    if your weight hasn't changed for months, and you're accurately weighing everything you eat then you've hit maintenance, you need to drop your calories
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    you determine that by if you are losing/maintaining or gaining and your goals
    . I don't want to increase and gain but I also do not want to decrease and feel like I Im still hungry etc. Currerntly 6'3" weight is always around 250-252. Current calories are at 2550.

If you want to lose (since you are in the general weight loss forum) and you are near goal you could change your weekly weight loss goal to 1/2lb a week (if you haven't already). When you get to about 5lbs from goal you can slowly start adding in calories to your daily goal (100 a day for the week, repeat) until you hit goal and stop losing weight.

As for "eating clean" and adding food to "rev up your metabolism" eh...neither is needed nor valid.

If you want to eat food that helps keep you feeling fuller longer then choose protien/fiber and fats...but iif you are maintaining now and have been it's time to start weighing your solids...you are eating more than you think.

You might be logging 2550 but you are eating more than that.