Foods with high protien and low calories?

Options
I just need some ideas for foods that are high in protien and low in calories. I'm on avaerage getting 30g of protein a day and that can't be enough. what do you eat for protein?

Replies

• AnnaVee84
    AnnaVee84 Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    I usually try to get a protein source for every meal and snack; other than meats and protein powder, my go to protein sources are:

breakfast:
    greek yogurt
    cottage cheese
    egg whites - a huge egg white omelette for brunch is my favorite thing on the weekend!! sometimes will have just egg whites with veggies to meet my macros goal!
    - you can also mix into oatmeal in the morning for breakfast - will not change the taste, but will give it creamier texture! i usually have a bowl of oatmeal in the morning with protein powder and egg whites and other goodies for a well rounded start to the day
    center cut bacon has better macros than other cuts

snacks:
    string cheese
    turkey pepperoni
    quest bars

easy meals:
    tofu
    canned tuna or chicken breast
    lean ground turkey

beans and nuts are high protein too but can be surprisingly high cal if one doesn't pay attention to serving size.

ETA: i can't believe i forgot desserts! Halotop ice cream is higher protein than most and pretty good! there's also frozen greek yogurt brand Umpqua as well
  • AnnaVee84
    AnnaVee84 Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    Also I remembered this picture from another MFP post:

http://pinterest.com/pin/170292429635163559/
  • YearsWorthOfFAT
    Options
    Beans, chickpeas.
  • SnuggleSmacks
    SnuggleSmacks Posts: 3,732 Member
    Options
    Seafood. You'd be surprised at the calories in shrimp or light fish like tilapia and flounder. Just don't ruin it by breading and frying... Try grilling and broiling instead, with just herbs, spices and citrus juice.
  • KarenJanine
    KarenJanine Posts: 3,497 Member
    Options
    Oh wow, yes you should definitely aim for more than 30g of protein, especially if you are eating at a calorie deficit.

Canned tuna
    Eggs / egg whites
    Whey powder
    Protein bars (Quest, Power Bar, etc)
    Tofu
    Fish / shell fish
    Nuts / seeds
    Greek yoghurt
    String cheese / Babybel
    Cottage cheese
    Mozzarella
    Fromage frais
    Milk (in protein shakes, lattes, etc)
    Chicken / turkey
    Edamame / soya 'meat' products
    Quorn
    Seitan
    Mushrooms
    Broccoli
    Nutritional yeast
    Jerky
    lean beef
  • ukaryote
    ukaryote Posts: 874 Member
    Options
    KarenJanine gave an exhaustive list.

Lean meat tops the list if you choose to be an omnivore.
    I keep around cottage cheese and canned tuna for when I don't feel like cooking.
  • sarah3333
    sarah3333 Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    Designer Whey Protein Powder is 100 calories and 18g Protein. I get the Gourmet Chocolate flavor and mix with peppermint tea instead of milk. It's really good and makes my stomach stop screaming for food :)
  • LadyTaransula
    LadyTaransula Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Designer Whey Protein Powder is 100 calories and 18g Protein. I get the Gourmet Chocolate flavor and mix with peppermint tea instead of milk. It's really good and makes my stomach stop screaming for food :)

That's a great idea, I'm going to use that!
  • keniaclimaco5
    keniaclimaco5 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Canned Tuna fish in water.
    Tilapia.
    Ground Lean Turkey.
    Chicken.
    Egg Whites.

I seriously eat all of those things EVERYDAY and make about 80-90 grams of protein per day.
    And they are VERY LOW in fat, calories, and carbs.