1200 Calories.....the truth.

Options
13»

Replies

• elisa123gal
    elisa123gal Posts: 4,306 Member
    Options
    mfp is a calculator. it does math. many people on here lose on 1200 calories..and many docotors suggest that.

yet.. many people of the 1200 calorie per day folks say they're stuck eating low calories after they reach goal because they're metabolisms adjusted to a low calorie diet.

Therefore..some on here opt for eating at a small defici (more calories than 1200..i eat 1600) and adding exercise. calories as well. that waywhen they get to their goal..they can eat like a normal person…and enjoy their lives.
  • upnorthtim
    upnorthtim Posts: 376 Member
    Options
    http://www.huffingtonpost.com/red-room/undereating_b_4123345.html

Read this for some common sense about calorie restriction ..... this guy is not trying to sell you something unlike the vast majority of websites that perpetuate the "metabolic damage" bs.
  • Branstin
    Branstin Posts: 2,320 Member
    Options
    This magical 1200 number...I don't know why it gets so much focus. It's not a big deal. IMO.

It's basically 50g of fat and 100g of each of carbs and protein. If you eat that, you are at least ensuring something resembling not-unreasonable macro intake for the vast majority of people.

If you are super focused and appropriately sized, you can do it in less. But that takes real dedication.

So, yes, it is a bit arbitrary, but there is a logical basis to it. And it makes sense, right up to the point people forget that it is a *guideline*, not a commandment.
    This guy has a masters in exercise physiology and teaches it.

http://johnbarban.com/weight-loss-fallacies-2lbs-per-week-and-1200-calories-per-day/

Fallacy #2: 1200 calories is the minimum you should eat in a day

"I don’t know where this number comes from and I will be spending some time in the near future looking it up. However based on the RDI and RDA for nutrients the actual lower limit for calories (when you add up the individual recommendations for protein, carbs and fats) comes out to around 800 calories per day for women and 900 for men. So even according to the RDA you can easily eat well below 1200 and get your daily requirements of protein carbs and fats."

What about a person's required micronutrients? How does he propose a person meet those health requirements on 800/900 calories per day?