This thread for suggesting low cal meals at restraunts...

Options
I dont know if there is a thread for low cal meals at various chain restraunts, but here we go. Give your fave low cal meal at your fave restraunt. I don't really have one. Lol, maybe i will after this thread. :tongue:

Replies

• xonophone
    xonophone Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    How low is low? I recently had the asiago sirlon meal from Applebee's "Under 550 Calorie" menu. Steamed veggies & redskin potatoes and tender sirloin. It was really good!
  • nina1968
    nina1968 Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    I would love to know where i could go out to eat and know that they have a low calorie menu, I cant seem to find that. I only know of applebees but there isnt one where i live.
  • CharityD
    CharityD Posts: 193
    Options
    As far as fast food goes...gotta got with Wendy's Chili. You can have a large for 280 cals and get the side salad with no dressing for 35 cals and have an OK taco salad. Better 315 than the real taco salad that has 640 cals! Of course, it's not as good without the cheese, sour cream and chips. But it's still OK.
    Also, there is an iPhone app called "Fast Food Cal" that has a lot of chain food at a glance in case you have to decide where to eat on the go.
  • kellycrow
    Options
    We just ate at Red Robin - the kids' favorite...
    I had the Gardenburger with no sauce and a side salad with no dressing... the total calorie count for that is 442.
    fat: 8g
    sodium (yikes): 1319
    carb: 70
    fiber: 12
    protein: 24

It was yummy...
  • mbmomof4
    mbmomof4 Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    How low is low? I recently had the asiago sirlon meal from Applebee's "Under 550 Calorie" menu. Steamed veggies & redskin potatoes and tender sirloin. It was really good!

FABULOUS!!! This is the only meal i eat when I go to Applebee's!!!
  • mbmomof4
    mbmomof4 Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    I actually just had them for dinner...Fresco Steak tacos from Taco bell. They have 160 cals. & they are really good. They have a few other Fresco menu options also, but the calorie intake is alot higher on them. So I stick with the steak when I have to eat fast food.

P.S. you can go on tacobell.com & print out a coupon for a free Fresco taco...give it a try! :tongue:
  • tanzmitpalmer
    tanzmitpalmer Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    The vegetarian fajita burrito bol from Chipotle is pretty tight. It's surprising just how unimportant the tortilla really is. Calories on that varies according to your taste, but you can ballpark it at http://www.chipotlefan.com/index.php?id=nutrition_calculator

My two picks at Olive Garden are the lunch-sized portion of Ravioli di Portobello with a bowl of Minestrone (550 cals - for a rich, flavourful, super-cheesy meal), or the dinner-sized portion of Linguine alla Marinara with a bowl of Minestrone (530 cals for an epic crapload of pasta). Just depends on what sort of thing I'm in the mood for.
  • ialmostfell
    ialmostfell Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I eat fish and seafood, but no other kind of meat. So it makes it even more difficult for me to go out to eat, but here's what I get...

Olive Garden: Minestrone (100 cals) & Linguini alla Marinara (430 cals) (I usually eat half the Linguini and take the rest home for dinner, so it's only 215 cals)

P.F. Changs: Chang's Vegetarian Lettuce Wraps (552 cals for the whole app)

Macaroni Grill: Jumbo Shrimp Rosemary Spiedini (230 cals & delicious!)

Baja Fresh: Charbroiled Shrimp Baja Ensalada w/ Salsa Verde Dressing (245 cals)

I know there are more, but can't think of them right now...
  • SarahBethS
    SarahBethS Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I bought The Calorie Kings Calorie, Fat and Carbohydrate Counter book and it's pretty small so I can put it in to my purse (or you can leave it in your car) and it lists the nutrition information for about 200 restaurant and fast food chains and it's has an a-z list of foods. It's extremely helpful for when I am out and someone wants to go eat dinner and I haven't had a chance to plan ahead.
  • melissaovadare
    melissaovadare Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    :smile: I am TERRIFIED of eating out.......I have 2 close girlfriends who have worked at popular restaurant chains and say how gross the prep of food is....even the "healthy" meals are cooked on the same grill as the other stuff...so you are getting TONS of extra, oily cals on your chicken breast or grilled shrimp....ect. I save my restaurant meals for my cheat meal on Sat.......

Don't get me wrong, though...there are alot of restaurants that have impeccable prep, this is just secondhand info from some jilted ex-waitresses LOL
  • xonophone
    Options
    :smile: I am TERRIFIED of eating out.......I have 2 close girlfriends who have worked at popular restaurant chains and say how gross the prep of food is....even the "healthy" meals are cooked on the same grill as the other stuff...so you are getting TONS of extra, oily cals on your chicken breast or grilled shrimp....ect. I save my restaurant meals for my cheat meal on Sat.......

Don't get me wrong, though...there are alot of restaurants that have impeccable prep, this is just secondhand info from some jilted ex-waitresses LOL

Having worked in the restaurant business when I was younger, I would be inclined to believe your friends. I recently heard a news story that said you can basically add 20% more calories to whatever the posted nutritional data is. Truth is, there really is no guarantee when you're eating out, you just have to make the most sensible choices you can. As long as you aren't doing it all the time, that one decadent meal won't thwart all of your efforts from the other 20 healthy meals you had during the week :)
  • xonophone
    Options
    oooooh, and this isn't really a "restaurant" but I have to say that I am in love with McDonald's Southwest Grilled chicken Salad!!! 420 yummy calories with dressing!!
  • Motleybird
    Motleybird Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    Maybe not the overall healthiest choice but as far as calories go...

Take the Carl's Jr Six Dollar Portabello burger, and cut it in half. Then it's 435 calories. It's big enough I feel full, and still have the other half to warm up the next day. Those mushrooms are yummy!

Most chain restaurants have a website where you can look up the info. When comparing one dish with another, remember that you don't have to eat the whole thing! Try picking something yummy and cut it in half.
  • xonophone
    Options

Most chain restaurants have a website where you can look up the info. When comparing one dish with another, remember that you don't have to eat the whole thing! Try picking something yummy and cut it in half.

You don't??? But how do you stop yourself?? LOL! Seriously, I have a BAD willpower problem (hence, why I joined MFP) and I am trying so hard to only eat half of my dinner when I eat out. Most of the time I end up saying "screw it, I'll just hit the gym hard tomorrow" and then spend like 3 rediculous hours in the gym the following day. But that is a very good suggestion - now if I could only get my brain to realize that!
  • lbarrett74
    Options
    For a fast meal on the go, skip the crap food and grab a Starbucks Egg White, Spinach & Feta Wrap. Delicious, 280 cals and tons of nutrition, and u can eat it with one hand.
  • kdiamond
    kdiamond Posts: 3,329 Member
    Options
    I found an amazing website with lots of information!!

http://www.nistn.com/nutritionallinks.php

When I go out, I order meat, either chicken, fish or steak, a salad with vinaigrette dressing on the side, and/or shrimp cocktail, and steamed veggies. Every restaurant has a variation of this, and you can almost never go wrong. Just stay away from the bread and anything fried.
  • fevre
    fevre Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    This is neither a meal nor a restaurant, but I'm from Seattle and that means I'm a hopeless Starbucks addict! Since I've started dieting I've had to find a replacement to my old drinks that were all 300-400 calories (for the small!).

I've been ordering a skim milk Cinnamon Dolce Latte now - only 90 calories for a tall! I like to get whipped cream on top to fool myself into thinking it's one of my overly sugary mochas of the past.

Also not everyone knows that Starbucks actually has a size that is smaller than the "tall"! If you're getting a hot drink, you can also order a "short," which is only 8 oz. Great if you just want something to treat yourself!
  • gehlerc
    gehlerc Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    Okay everyone, here's a question:

I'm meeting friends at a Houlihan's tomorrow. This will be my first time eating out while trying to stay on my new "eating plan." Any suggestions? I've looked up their nutrition info online, and there are very few meals with acceptable calorie counts. So, if you have any suggestions, I'd love to hear them!

I'm loving the rest of the posts on this thread. Thanks for all the info you have all posted!
  • kimiel
    kimiel Posts: 108
    Options
    oooooh, and this isn't really a "restaurant" but I have to say that I am in love with McDonald's Southwest Grilled chicken Salad!!! 420 yummy calories with dressing!!

I agree! That is a yummy and filling salad!!