Petty question-Before pictures

Options
Should you take them? Or does it just set you up for "failure"? If you don't take them and you start losing/looking amazing do you regret not taking before pics?

Replies

• codycsweet
    codycsweet Posts: 1,019 Member
    Options
    Take pictures. And measurements it was a great motivator and re opener for me on how far I've come. Also when you get mad at the scale you can see from pics and measurements that the scale isn't everything that these other two things the pics and measurements are very important and telling indicators of your progress.
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,742 Member
    Options
    I don't look "amazing" but I sure do look more normal/average at size 10/12 than I did when I started out at size 22. I don't deeply regret not taking before photos, though. I remember how I looked and that's enough for me. I have just one "before" photo really, of myself at a car show, and I recreated the photo after I'd lost 67 lb here. That's kind of cool to look at but I don't think it REALLY shows me all that much...I think I looked a bit better than I did in the before pic, but it was not a flattering shot...and I think the after shot is weirdly lit...too many variables for me to really feel those before/after photos are an important or useful part of the progress & comparison for me.
  • Madame_Goldbricker
    Madame_Goldbricker Posts: 1,625 Member
    Options
    I've took progress pics from the start every 4wks. Sometimes you see big changes - others not so much. But all progress is good. And I've definitely seen some slight muscle change happen too.
  • Iknewyouweretrouble
    Iknewyouweretrouble Posts: 561 Member
    Options
    thanks guys! I'm gonna take some. wish me luck lol I hope I make those changes.
  • wellthenwhat
    wellthenwhat Posts: 526 Member
    Options
    I wish I had before pictures, I do have pictures, but no great ones. It's not a major regret though, I'm not going back to get them !!!!
  • katznkt
    katznkt Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    Yeah... I recommend pics. It's incredible to remind yourself of what you used to look like. Especially when you feel inclined to overdo your calories one too many days. Good to remember what constant overeating will do...
  • kimtab
    kimtab Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    I did not, and wish that I had. I think it can be a great motivational tool.
  • ASH2038602
    ASH2038602 Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    I just started taking progress pictures recently. I wish I would have right when I started, because I think looking at them would really keep my motivated. I only have like one full body picture of myself at my top weight. Better late than never I suppose.
  • nathalier71
    nathalier71 Posts: 570 Member
    Options
    I wish I'd taken pictures.
  • ryblueeyes
    ryblueeyes Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    I have "before" pictures, but they're really just of my face and shoulders. It wasn't until I started looking back that I realized maybe there's a reason for that. Anyway, I wish I had at least one "before" of my whole body since I think pictures are super motivating.
  • bcf7683
    bcf7683 Posts: 1,653 Member
    Options
    I wish I'd taken pictures.

x2
  • epadmeister
    epadmeister Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    I didn't take proper "before" pictures because I thought I'd jinx myself! XP Really wish I had now...

Listen, the only thing that'll set you up for failure is the mindset of "I'm going to fail". So just don't fail and you can have as many "before" photos as you want! :flowerforyou: :bigsmile:
  • allanakern
    allanakern Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    my biggest regret is not taking before pics
  • willrun4bagels
    willrun4bagels Posts: 838 Member
    Options
    Take pictures. I wish I had more before pictures, but I avoided the camera most of the time at 281lbs.
  • WelshPhil1975
    WelshPhil1975 Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    The "before" picture on my profile was taken in July last year even though I didn't start dieting until March this year. It was the most recent photo of me that I could find and I am pretty sure I was at (or close to) that weight/size I was at in March anyway (photos of me at my heaviest are not easy to come by, but that was by design).

I will take during photos, but not until I hit 48lb lost, which is halfway to my target
  • JustFindingMe
    JustFindingMe Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    I didn't take them right at the beginning and really regret it too. I was so uncomfortable with the state of my body that I truly didn't have the guts to actually take the shot. I was only about 8 pounds into this when I finally did.( 8 pounds of strength training etc really made a difference though) I also wish I took measurements in a a lot more places. Since I have been losing, Ive been getting smaller in odd places. I figured my thighs, tummy and waist would be enough but those are the last places to lose for me. I have added upper and lower arms and calves now and track them :happy:
  • TheSatinPumpkin
    TheSatinPumpkin Posts: 948 Member
    Options
    If its a motivator then take some. My one year on this WOE is coming up next week and i still have my day 1 before pics as my wall paper(s) on my home computer. couple of months ago i also had them laminated wallet size to carry around. Been a motivation for me.
  • shadowloss
    shadowloss Posts: 293 Member
    Options
    Everyone is different. I adamantly avoid pictures because it reminds me of what I've become! However, after looking through the success stories, and knowing I was in the mindset to finally pull my head out and do something about it, I cowardly stood in front of the mirror and snapped the picture.
    For me, it was like the starting flag at a NASCAR race, I knew as soon as I took the picture that it was GAME ON! Something in my mind just clicked! I put on my oversized shirt and waddled my butt down to the eliptical and got sweating! Granted it's only been a little over a week and I am still having to work HARD at creating habits, is all I have to do is look back on the photo on my phone (that no one else can see) and it helps me push a little harder.
    The thing for me, is if I didn't take the picture I might have regretted it. This way I know I won't because I have it! If I choose to delete it or burn it for those of you using your polaroids, then so be it!
    I would say snap the picture, grab and apple, and get to work to prove to yourself your worth it. You can thank me later!
  • SingRunTing
    SingRunTing Posts: 2,604 Member
    Options
    I'd rather regret taking the picture than regret not taking the picture. You can always delete it later.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!