Vacation help!?!

Options
I am going to the OBX for five days soon, we go every year with three other couples. We split the week so that every couple cooks for one day, we eat out one day and eat left overs the last. My problem , as you have probably guessed, is that I don't have a say in what is placed in front of me. I'm on vacation and I don't want to be rude and bring my own stuff to the table. I know to eat less of what is put in front of me but its a week of that. I don't want to be starving the whole time. I can buy some healthy snacks and use those in between but would like to be social. Any help and advice would be helpful.
Thanks

Replies

• Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    You've got it, smaller portions!
  • maz504
    maz504 Posts: 450
    Options
    I think it's awesome you're thinking ahead and trying to pre-plan, but remember what it is: vacation! In my humble opinion, it's ok if you enjoy yourself and put your weight loss on the back burner for a few short days. Personally, if I didn't allow myself those breaks once in a blue moon, I don't think my weight loss would be sustainable.

Enjoy the beach!! :smile:
  • Adaniel65
    Adaniel65 Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    Well... It's tough and I totally get it. Of course go w/smaller portions of anything you think is not calorie friendly and load up on any healthier options they have. More salad or veggies if they're an option.
    Definitely bring your healthy snacks, fruits etc. People do that all the time on vaca.
    Try to get some walks/exercise in and keep logging - even if you have to do it manually!

I suspect you know all this already though.

Good luck and ENJOY your vaca.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    You might not be able to choose the entree but can you volunteer to make a salad each day? Or start the week by cutting up a load of veggies and then grab the tray and set them out with each meal. That way you can have some of the entree and then balance it out with something else.

What are some things that people have cooked in the past? It seems like there would be fresh seafood considering the location.
  • Hophead43
    Hophead43 Posts: 1,634 Member
    Options
    I agree with MAZ..relax and enjoy yourself! Good food, good friends and a bit of overindulgence can be a good thing. I took a week off and went to visit family in Myrtle Beach, when I got back I was more focused. Live it up!!
  • RavenLibra
    RavenLibra Posts: 1,737 Member
    Options
    What Maz said... a week off is NOTgoing to destroy your good habits... just reduce portions when you can... leave food on the plate... and take a little "me time" to get in some extra exercise... a lifestyle change allows for an indulgence here and there... go a little easier on yourself. have fun
  • jspicher81
    jspicher81 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I've also found it very helpful to drink lots of water or a zero calorie soda/drink to help keep my tummy feeling fuller in those situations.
  • summer8it
    summer8it Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    I usually find that I can maintain my weight easily on vacations, even while indulging in food and beverages, simply because I'm so much more active on vacation than I am on my normal, desk-bound days.

The Outer Banks give you lots of fun ways to stay active... walks on the beach, swimming, surfing, hiking the dunes at Kitty Hawk.
  • JTick
    JTick Posts: 2,131 Member
    Options
    Just try to be somewhat mindful of your portions...get back to counting when you get home, and have fun!
  • takkyboomboom
    takkyboomboom Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Sounds to me like these people are your friends. I'd be totally fine with someone saying to me that they are trying to be healthier/lose weight. You may find that it inspires them to go a little healthier too :)

Failing that, I agree with the poster who said offer to bring a salad each meal.

And finally...try not to fixate on it too much; you're on vacation.

Have an awesome time :)
  • ciscosdad
    ciscosdad Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the advice. I plan on a lot of walks on the beach and chasing kids in the surf. The food is the only wild card. I will do my best to both let my hair down and watch a little. You are right I am going on vacation and I am going to enjoy myself. It has also been asked of me to make homemade ice-cream, something I used to do every year, anyone know a healthier way to make ice cream?
  • PRMinx
    PRMinx Posts: 4,585 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the advice. I plan on a lot of walks on the beach and chasing kids in the surf. The food is the only wild card. I will do my best to both let my hair down and watch a little. You are right I am going on vacation and I am going to enjoy myself. It has also been asked of me to make homemade ice-cream, something I used to do every year, anyone know a healthier way to make ice cream?

Ice cream isn't inherently healthy or unhealthy. If people are requesting your home made ice cream, then they like it the way it is and won't be happy with a "diet" alternative. Just make what people are like and eat a portion that fits into your macros.
  • Goofyrunnergirl
    Options

There are a lot of healthier ice cream recipes out there, but do they taste the same? No. If you have been asked to make it, and bring it, it is obviously something that is enjoyed by your company. So go ahead and make it! It's going to be healthier than the "frozen dairy desserts" that pass themselves off as ice cream! Also, you know the ingredients that are in it- egg yolks, cream, sugar, and whatever extras you throw in! When you eat it, just try to watch your portions (as mentioned before). Savor that 1/2 cup!
  • Branstin
    Branstin Posts: 2,320 Member
    Options
    You could eat at your calories maintenance level for the week.
  • glowgirl14
    glowgirl14 Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    I love the OBX!!! It's one of my favorite places on earth. Our boat was there for three years (on Hatteras) and I always loved it.

So, my two cents about your vacation...Last fall, I went on a 7-week-long trip. Part vacation, part work. Most of the time I had no control over what I was eating. A lot of the restaurants had no nutrition info available, and of course, the meals others cooked...no real ability to consistently plan exercise. I was terrified. :)

What really helped me was to try and "save up" calories for dinner...Eat really light for the rest of the day and enjoy the food that your friends are making. I tried to keep the day full of protein and save a lot of carbs and fat for the evening meal. Worst case scenario? Your friends make something healthy and you have enough left over to have some GREAT dessert splurges.
  • sparacka
    sparacka Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    I'm in a similar boat: about to leave for our annual trip to Maine, where we rotate dinner duty each night.
    My plan is to cook the first day that I get there (since I'm LCHF, I'll make a bunch of sides that will last me through the week and that I can use to replace any starchy sides that are offered instead...i.e. chicken curry over white rice? I'll just nuke a little cauliflower "rice" instead for my portion; steaks and baked potatoes? I've got a tasty squash casserole to share, if anyone would like some...).
    I'm also cooking pre-departure, so that I'll have tasty treats that still fit into my WOE (I'm bringing cheese crackers, flax bread, PB cookies). This way, I can still eat eggs & bacon every morning (or a smoothie- also bringing my stick-blender, or low-carb pancakes- bringing almond flour, SF syrup & my appetite!), sandwiches and crudité at lunch time, have a cocktail and some crackers pre-dinner, enjoy a meal with my extended family and perhaps even impress some of them with my faux-rice pudding or pumpkin cheesecake desserts.
    I understand that one doesn't _have_ to count calories while on vacation. Feel free to live it up, if that's your thing or if you feel you need a break. But I am not going to backslide and gain back the weight that I've worked hard to lose over the last weeks and months.