Staying fit in Germany- Anyone been to Munich/Freising?

Options
I'll be going to Germany on business for 2 weeks in September (14-27th). I've never been to Europe, so this will be my first time in Germany. I'll be running my 2nd 1/2 marathon on November 16th, so I want to do my best to stay up on training for that. A couple questions:

1. What kind of foods can I expect to find in Germany? I will be staying in Freising at a common hotel for business travel (close to my work), are there market places close by that I can get fresh fruits and veggies?

2. Are the streets fairly safe if I were to decide to go for jogs outdoors? Or, is this not common in that area? I don't want to have a huge target on me being an American tourist on a jog through the city.

3. Any must-sees while I'm there? :) I know Oktoberfest will be going on, so I plan to check that out on a Sunday. However I would like to take a couple day trips to see some sights for the weekend that overlaps during my stay. Preferably ones that involve walking and/or hiking would be great so I can continue with some sort of exercise even if I don't get my run/ strength in.

Thanks!!!

[This post may be somewhat OT for this board, however I also didn't think it really fit into the "Chit Chat, Fun, and Games" board either. :) ]

Replies

• msliu7911
    msliu7911 Posts: 639 Member
    Options
    *Bump*

Anyone?
  • irrelephantine
    irrelephantine Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Without having ever been to Freising, in general, Germany is a very safe place - running shouldn't be a problem. You might get a few looks if you're running in the city center because that would be considered slightly unusual, but it shouldn't be unsafe. Ideally, run during the day, or, to minimize weird looks, maybe find a nearby park, lots of people run in parks here.

Again, I don't know Freising, but it is reasonably big, so finding fruit and vegetables shouldn't be a problem. I have no idea when actual markets are on (presumably Saturday morning at the main marketplace), but if you google Aldi, Lidl, or Edeka there should be one close to your hotel. All shops are closed on Sundays, so plan ahead for that. Also, in my personal experience, portions here tend to be smaller and overall, food is a bit healthier, although stereotypically, Bavaria would be an exception to that.

Foodwise, I think you should go to a proper bakery and experience Torte, or Körnerbrot - great baked goods are what I miss most when I'm away. If you go for traditional cuisine, it'll be meat, potatoes/dumplings/pasta and vegetables.
  • msliu7911
    msliu7911 Posts: 639 Member
    Options
    Great point about running around in the city center. :) I'll try to scope out any parks or paths close by. And thanks for the tips on the bakery- even though I'm going to try to keep it as "healthy" as possible, I know I still need to try some of the local stuff that I won't get to have here in the US!

Without having ever been to Freising, in general, Germany is a very safe place - running shouldn't be a problem. You might get a few looks if you're running in the city center because that would be considered slightly unusual, but it shouldn't be unsafe. Ideally, run during the day, or, to minimize weird looks, maybe find a nearby park, lots of people run in parks here.

Again, I don't know Freising, but it is reasonably big, so finding fruit and vegetables shouldn't be a problem. I have no idea when actual markets are on (presumably Saturday morning at the main marketplace), but if you google Aldi, Lidl, or Edeka there should be one close to your hotel. All shops are closed on Sundays, so plan ahead for that. Also, in my personal experience, portions here tend to be smaller and overall, food is a bit healthier, although stereotypically, Bavaria would be an exception to that.

Foodwise, I think you should go to a proper bakery and experience Torte, or Körnerbrot - great baked goods are what I miss most when I'm away. If you go for traditional cuisine, it'll be meat, potatoes/dumplings/pasta and vegetables.
  • VintageFit
    VintageFit Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    I think jogging is pretty standard around here, if there is a river bank / park / smaller paths and streets around people will probably be jogging. So you're safe to join in ;)

Foodwise, it might be me stereotyping Bavaria, but traditional food is lots of meat dishes. GOOD sausages, and cuts of meat with yummy sauces. You risk going voer calories quickly but it's delicious.
    Germany is also known for having large variety in bread, especially breads with grains and things in it. Many people I know from the UK and US are surprised that there are more options than just 'white and nonwhite bread' in supermarkets haha.
    Fresh produce should be available in basically any supermarket near you, and many towns have a produce market on saturdays or sundays :)
  • kat_snowflake
    kat_snowflake Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    If I had one weekend in Bavaria, I wouldn't waste the Sunday on the Oktoberfest (maybe go Friday afternoon'/evening instead) and rather focus on checking out the foothills of the Alps/the Alps (Voralpenland/Alpen) and maybe one or two of the bigger lakes.

Lake-wise I'd go for Herrenchiemsee or Starnbergersee both a reasonable distance from Munich - though bear in mind that traffic on the weekends can get really heavy so very early start recommended!

http://www.bavaria.travel/5804fd7b-ef78-3b7c-a0c2-f8ffec756a1e

I'd also maybe check out Garmisch-Patenkirchen from where you can access Germany's highest mountain the Zugspitze - just under 3000m. There will be loads of hiking options in that area also (make sure you have hiking boots and mountain appropriate clothes and backpack etc).

http://www.outdoor-magazin.com/touren/deutschland/die-besten-wanderrouten-rund-um-die-zugspitze.337747.3.htm

http://www.gapa.de/

Another option is heading for the Fuessen region where you'll find quite a few nice lakes, mountain walks and of course the very famous Schloss Neuschwanstein (I think there is a direct regional train from Munich to Fuessen). You can also hire a (mountain) bike and use that to explore.

http://www.fuessen.de/en.html

Another option would be to head towards the Berchtesgaden area and explore the National Park, Koenigssee or go mountain walking (depending on route choice this goes into high mountain territory and weather forecast should be checked carefully and equipment chosen accordingly).

http://www.berchtesgadener-land.com/en/home/

Hope this helps!

(P.S. nothing wrong withe the Oktoberfest but as it is open quite long in the evening I'd do it during the week!)
  • MuscleHeadNerd74
    MuscleHeadNerd74 Posts: 1,930 Member
    Options
    yeah it's safe here no worries i been here too long,

food on what to expect they like cooking with fat i don't eat any german food, if i go out which is like never lol cuz i log i order steak or grilled chicken with veggies but then i have to ask them to tell my how many grams the chicken was....

have fun enjoy where your were then get the **** out lol

im org from cali but love tx live there 1 1/2 yrs
  • willrun4bagels
    willrun4bagels Posts: 838 Member
    Options
    If I were you, I'd plan on walking a lot when you can, staying hydrated, enjoy the beer, eat all the bread and chocolate, and get back to logging regularly when you're home. But that's just me. I used to live outside of Bonn. I miss it.

ETA: IIRC, there is a farmer's market sort of thing in Munich, but the small grocery stores will also have plenty of produce.

And it's totally safe. I'd feel safer running alone in Germany that I would in the city I presently live in. People keep to themselves.
  • KarenJanine
    KarenJanine Posts: 3,497 Member
    Options
    Tagging as I'm off to Bavaria next week!

In terms of getting around, you can get a Bayern rail pass which gives unlimited travel in Bavaria for €22 per day so it'd be easy to get out and see the mountains if you have the time.
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options
    Lived in the Munich area for years. Tagging, will post later.
  • cnadiger
    cnadiger Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    I used to live there years ago, and just went back for a week last month. Make sure to take the bike tour of Munich, you can book it online at Mike's Bikes http://www.mikesbiketours.com/. We took the 5 hour tour which sounds like a long time but it's an easy ride and you get off a lot to hear about the sites and history. Best tour ever!!! The guides are all english speaking ex-pats so no language problems at all. The food is sooo yummy, but since it's Bavaria be prepared for everything to have sauces and breads. Do not a miss a trip to a bakery instead of the grocery store, the variety is worth the extra trip and bakeries are everywhere. Take the train to the Munich city center and you can walk or jog for hours on the trails in the English Gardens - and then stop at the worlds largest beer garden in the middle for a cold one!:drinker: :happy:
  • h7463
    h7463 Posts: 626 Member
    Options
    Hi there! I grew up in Germany, and I only started having problems with nutrition after moving to the US. You shouldn't be afraid of the food there. Most of the dyes, additives, and preservatives that they put in food here, are prohibited in Germany! The sourdough breads are delicious (I'm baking my own here at home, because the garbage that they sell in US stores makes me sick....), and the variety of cold cuts and cheeses will blow your mind...maybe your waist line a bit, too....lol.
    Don't bother packing any protein powder or protein bars. You won't have any problem finding all sorts of protein packed dairy in any grocery store. Try quark cheese. It's hard to get in the US, but common and cheap in Germany.

Don't worry too much, enjoy your stay!
    The sightseeing tips that a previous poster gave you, are great, by the way... Don't waste your time at the Oktoberfest, it's way overrated.

About the business hours: There are usually no 24-h stores, except maybe a few gas stations. Most grocery stores in small towns are closed by 7pm Mon-Fr, Saturdays by 1pm. Most everything is closed on Sundays and national holidays. Make sure to ask for a fridge in your hotel room.

Have a safe trip!

Great point about running around in the city center. :) I'll try to scope out any parks or paths close by. And thanks for the tips on the bakery- even though I'm going to try to keep it as "healthy" as possible, I know I still need to try some of the local stuff that I won't get to have here in the US!

• Ranocchia
    Ranocchia Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    I studied in Freising for a semester. The city is very little and absolutely safe. Lots of country roads available for running. I'm jealous! It was a good time.
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options
    If I had one weekend in Bavaria, I wouldn't waste the Sunday on the Oktoberfest (maybe go Friday afternoon'/evening instead) and rather focus on checking out the foothills of the Alps/the Alps (Voralpenland/Alpen) and maybe one or two of the bigger lakes.

Lake-wise I'd go for Herrenchiemsee or Starnbergersee both a reasonable distance from Munich - though bear in mind that traffic on the weekends can get really heavy so very early start recommended!

http://www.bavaria.travel/5804fd7b-ef78-3b7c-a0c2-f8ffec756a1e

I'd also maybe check out Garmisch-Patenkirchen from where you can access Germany's highest mountain the Zugspitze - just under 3000m. There will be loads of hiking options in that area also (make sure you have hiking boots and mountain appropriate clothes and backpack etc).

http://www.outdoor-magazin.com/touren/deutschland/die-besten-wanderrouten-rund-um-die-zugspitze.337747.3.htm

http://www.gapa.de/

Another option is heading for the Fuessen region where you'll find quite a few nice lakes, mountain walks and of course the very famous Schloss Neuschwanstein (I think there is a direct regional train from Munich to Fuessen). You can also hire a (mountain) bike and use that to explore.

http://www.fuessen.de/en.html

Another option would be to head towards the Berchtesgaden area and explore the National Park, Koenigssee or go mountain walking (depending on route choice this goes into high mountain territory and weather forecast should be checked carefully and equipment chosen accordingly).

http://www.berchtesgadener-land.com/en/home/

Hope this helps!

(P.S. nothing wrong withe the Oktoberfest but as it is open quite long in the evening I'd do it during the week!)

Ok, all of this.
    That covers things pretty well.

Extremely safe to jog or run.
    If you want to learn about events or outings don't hesitate to look at the expat community website www.toytowngermany.com it's vibrant.

Food is easy - you can eat anything, the area has a lot of Italian restaurants and everything else. Supermarkets are easy and very good quality.

Center of Munich you have viktualenmarkt which is a large and expensive open air market - worth the trip even if you don't eat much.

Have fun.