HRM - when to stop counting??

Options
I have a Polar FT7 HRM and use it along with the chest strap and monitor when I do my fitness classes (BoxFit and Piloxing). I commented the other day about how many calories I had burnt during a class and my instructor said it should be been more than that... The thing is, I switched it off as soon as the class finished but I now realise that I'm still burning calories as a result of it for a time after the class has finished... My question is, how long after my workout has finished should I stop counting, and just turn the monitor off? Or should I actually switch it off immediately after the class has finished?

Replies

• OccamsDisposableRazor
    Options
    I don't have an answer - I actually was searching the forums because I have the same question, lol. But right now, I leave my HRM going until my heart rate is around 100-110 (resting is mid-70s). Right or wrong, that's what I'm currently doing.
  • _SuiteLady_
    Options
    I stop mine as soon as my heart rate goes back to normal. This is usually after my workout, cooldown and stretch. Hope that helps.
  • IsaackGMOON
    IsaackGMOON Posts: 3,358 Member
    Options
    I instantly turn off my HRM when I stop doing cardio, and I pause it if I ever have to take a walking break. It'll be interesting to see which method is actually correct.

I guess the calories you burn can depend on your weight and your heart rate at the time.
  • Lesleycali
    Lesleycali Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    I also turn it off around 100-115, that's when I fall below my "training zone". Usually just a few minutes after my workout or run has ended.
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    ....when I do my fitness classes (BoxFit and Piloxing)....

Doesn't really matter as the calorie expenditure it'll give you for those is likely to be inaccurate anyway. The algorithms in HRMs aren't designed for that type of session, as you have anaerobic periods of activity your HR isn't a legitimate proxy for calories.

That said it's more likely to be an overestimate than an underestimate.
  • SkinnyGirlCarrie
    SkinnyGirlCarrie Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    I stop mine after my cool down/stretch...my HR is still usually a bit elevated but I would rather under count my calories burnt than over count them! I also pause mine if I have to take a small break for some reason.

OP - I would think that your instructor would think your calories are low for the time period of the class, the afterburn is probably not included in whatever they have estimated the calorie burn to be for the class. And do you have your customized heart rate zones? That will make a difference in what your HRM says you are burning.

I would be interested if someone has an answer or article to point to about this.
  • gobonas99
    gobonas99 Posts: 1,049 Member
    Options
    I stop mine as soon as I am finished with my activity. HRM are only estimations of calories burned, anyway, and I'd rather go with a lower number than one that is potentially too high. (I usually only eat back half of my cals burned, as well).

That is besides the fact that your instructor should NOT have said your cals burned should have been more than what your HRM calc'd. That tells me she knows nothing about how HRMs calc calories. If you have a high working HR, your cals burned per the HRM will be higher than "average"...if you have a low working HR, your cals burned per the HRM will be lower than "average". But by no means are the cals burned calc'd by your HRM the actual calories you burned.
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    I think you are overthinking this.

If what you've been doing has been working, then just stick with it. Realize everything is an estimate, even with your HRM.
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    I usually keep it going until after my stretch is over (about 5 minutes). It's probably not going to make that much of a difference though - at most, I get 30 more calories if I've been doing something intense (like the stairmill or running). Normally it's more like 15-20 more calories.

I'm wondering if your instructor was told folks can burn up to x amount of calories and just assumed that's the average burn. How much you burn depends on your age, weight, gender and fitness level (and effort - some people half *kitten* their way through classes). A guy who weighs more than you could probably burn twice as much while a little old lady might burn 100 calories less than you.
  • Philp0718
    Philp0718 Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    I switch it off when my heart rate has gone back to normal, or "resting zone" - typically right after I'm done my workout, and stretches. I still don't take it as 100% tho, more of a "best estimate"
  • MsSashaFire
    Options
    I keep mine on till the number falls just above my resting level , so I usually take it off between 100-110, but for no longer than 10 minutes once a workout is completed. Not saying it's the right way but it's what works for me.
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    ....when I do my fitness classes (BoxFit and Piloxing)....

Doesn't really matter as the calorie expenditure it'll give you for those is likely to be inaccurate anyway. The algorithms in HRMs aren't designed for that type of session, as you have anaerobic periods of activity your HR isn't a legitimate proxy for calories.

That said it's more likely to be an overestimate than an underestimate.

Was going to say something along those lines. Doesn't really matter when you turn it off as it isn't going to be accurate for those type of activities. That's not what they are designed to do. They are designed to track heart rate, and the calorie burns are estimates based on formulas used to track steady state cardio.
  • brianpperkins
    brianpperkins Posts: 6,124 Member
    Options
    The formulae used by HRMs are designed to use an elevated heart rate during specific activities to estimate caloric burn. Leaving it running while your heart rate is elevated but your exertion level drops only exacerbates the inaccuracies.