A Limey in America

Options
mruntidy
mruntidy Posts: 1,015 Member
Ok so I am headed to the States in a few days and other than the usual places wondered where people thought were good places to;

See
Eat
Visit

Headed out to New York first then Detroit/Ann Arbor/Michigan and ending the trip in Chicago.

I figure this is the best place to throw this out espcecially as a lot of the users of MFP are Americans - hopefully the thread won't bomb as i'd appreciate some local advice :smile:

Replies

• KarenJanine
    KarenJanine Posts: 3,497 Member
    Options
    I've got nothing but would recommend bumping this in a couple of hours' time when more Americans will be awake :smile:

Have a great trip!
  • moeggep
    moeggep Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    Not sure how long you will be in each place or what your interests are but there is more to do in NY and Chicago than can be listed. I am not all that familiar with Detroit/AnnArbor.
    In NY I'd say to do the obvious, Statue of Liberty, Central Park, Empire State Building, Grand Central Station, Rockefeller Center. Just naming all this makes me want to go back for another visit.
    In Chicago we went to the Navy Pier, Millennium Park, Buckingham Fountain, Sears Tower ( I think the name is changed now)
    and of course we shopped in both NY and Chicago.
    Good luck and have a great time.
  • mruntidy
    Options
    I've got nothing but would recommend bumping this in a couple of hours' time when more Americans will be awake :smile:

Have a great trip!

I was thinking that actually - I was far too trigger happy
  • lishie_rebooted
    lishie_rebooted Posts: 2,973 Member
    Options
    Tagging so my friends in those areas can help you out.

Confused why you'd waste time in Detroit...

Make sure you try a real NY bagel, they're different.
  • mruntidy
    Options
    Tagging so my friends in those areas can help you out.

Confused why you'd waste time in Detroit...

Make sure you try a real NY bagel, they're different.

Yeah probably should have explained that a little better - we arrive at Detroit airport and are staying with friends in Ypsilanti a few miles up the road nearer Ann Arbor before travelling on to Chicago.

About 3 days in each roughly and driving to Chicago from Michigan
  • PowerfulHunt
    PowerfulHunt Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    The Willis (formerly Sears) Tower in Chicago.
  • vfnmoody
    vfnmoody Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    NY.NY. go see the UN buildings .Time well spent. They have a tour.
  • Drama_Free_Zone
    Options
    Chicago.. Sometimes three days isn't enough time to eat at all the great little pizza shops and see all the gorgeous architecture.. but if it's your first time visiting here's a brief run down of a few things I enjoy when I go back.

Navy Pier: It's a tourist hot spot but it's always a good time.

Sears Tower Skydeck: Don't call it the Willis tower, everyone knows what it is.

Millenium Park

the Riverwalk

And of course.. don't bother eating at chains, there is too many great little pubs and diners. In at least one sandwhich shop order an Italian Beef, dipped. You can get this at Portillos if you are in a hurry but you'll enjoy it more from a small hole in the wall.

Last but not least... Eat a real chicago pizza that wasn't made at UNOs and grab a chicago style hotdog while you are on the pier.
  • teresamwhite
    teresamwhite Posts: 947 Member
    Options
    Are you a foodie? (Not just the "Duh, why do you think I'm on MFP" type of foodie)

Depending on how much you want to spend:

Arami
    Urban Belly
    Alinea
    Smoque BBQ
    Mastro's Steakhouse
    Moto
    Found Kitchen
    Bavette's
    Topolobampo
    Goosefoot
  • mruntidy
    Options
    These ideas are awesome - keep em coming :D
  • JocyChan
    JocyChan Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    Comi-Con is this weekend in Chicago!!!! It ends on Sunday, PM me if you'd like more info. :)
  • mruntidy
    Options
    Comi-Con is this weekend in Chicago!!!! It ends on Sunday, PM me if you'd like more info. :)

Aw man I'm not in Chicago until the 1st :(
  • JocyChan
    JocyChan Posts: 59 Member
    Options

Aw man I'm not in Chicago until the 1st :(

That is no fun! Well, Chicago is full of other fun things, I always enjoy checking out the Theaters to see what plays are happening, if you enjoy the theater, they have a lot of neat shows. <(^^)>
  • zichab
    zichab Posts: 1,446 Member
    Options
    Ann Arbor MI is the best place in MI as far as I am concerned. You absolutely MUST make your friends take you to Zingermans Deli. It is an institution in AA and the best food EVER! As a native New Yorker, however, there is life beyond NYC, (like the wild Adirondack Mountains, or the plethora of small towns) but in 3 days, it is hard to get beyond the city as there is so much to see, eat, buy and do there. Everyone here has given you the highlights, but you might also enjoy Guggenheim or MOMA as well. My Czech daughter-in-law prefers the museums and changing landscapes of this country to visiting monuments, but it is hard to see landscape changes going from one city to another on a plane. :wink: Hence, we do most things in a car! :bigsmile: Enjoy your trip as I am told Americans are "very friendly" by my European acquaintances. :smile:
  • TheNewPriceIsLoading
    TheNewPriceIsLoading Posts: 2,135 Member
    Options
    Ok so I am headed to the States in a few days and other than the usual places wondered where people thought were good places to;

See
    Eat
    Visit

Headed out to New York first then Detroit/Ann Arbor/Michigan and ending the trip in Chicago.

I figure this is the best place to throw this out espcecially as a lot of the users of MFP are Americans - hopefully the thread won't bomb as i'd appreciate some local advice :smile:

Clubs in Ann Arbor, Buddy's Pizza in Detroit Area, and in Chicago, Water Tower Place and Saks 5th Avenue building.
  • enterdanger
    enterdanger Posts: 2,447 Member
    Options
    If you like architecture and drinking I highly recommend taking a river boat architecture tour in Chicago. They all have bars on board the boats and Chicago's architecture is really second to none. We were in Chicago recently and ate at Fronterra in the Macy's (which has amazing arcitecture too). Good and much less expensive than the full restaurant.

In NY I highly recommend a visit to Alex Guarnaschelli's restaurant Butter. Save calories. You will need them. If you go to Harlem, try Marcus Samuelson's Rooster. Oh, and the MOMA in NY if you like art.

I don't know Ann Arbor/Detroit all that well. I will say if you like baseball that all 3 destinations have good stadiums. I think Wrigley is my favorite stadium (even though I'm from Philadelphia, sorry Citizens bank park). The good thing about going to Wrigley or US Cellular in Chicago is that the IL teams are awful so tickets are cheap and the Chicago Metro goes to both stadiums.
  • mruntidy
    Options
    If you like architecture and drinking I highly recommend taking a river boat architecture tour in Chicago. They all have bars on board the boats and Chicago's architecture is really second to none. We were in Chicago recently and ate at Fronterra in the Macy's (which has amazing arcitecture too). Good and much less expensive than the full restaurant.

In NY I highly recommend a visit to Alex Guarnaschelli's restaurant Butter. Save calories. You will need them. If you go to Harlem, try Marcus Samuelson's Rooster. Oh, and the MOMA in NY if you like art.

I don't know Ann Arbor/Detroit all that well. I will say if you like baseball that all 3 destinations have good stadiums. I think Wrigley is my favorite stadium (even though I'm from Philadelphia, sorry Citizens bank park). The good thing about going to Wrigley or US Cellular in Chicago is that the IL teams are awful so tickets are cheap and the Chicago Metro goes to both stadiums.

Awesome, that boat tour sounds like a really good plan :)