It's me again!!!!

Options
Hello Everybody!! Here I go again....I've tried my fitness pal in the past, never with much success. Not because it does not work, but because I don't make much progress and I end up quitting. I SO NEED HELP ADVICE AND FRIENDS TO DO THIS WITH!!! My grandkids moved away in January and what used to be a needed 80 lb weight loss ballooned to over a 90 lb weight loss . I have started walking on the treadmill again, at least 6 times a week, doing at least a mile each day, sometimes 2 or 3 miles; I logged 15 miles last week and I felt good about myself!!. I average at 3.0 miles per hour, I have cut my calories to 1220 and overall I'm sticking to it. I love sweet tea and have started drinking it with half the sugar or half cut at restaurants. I tried artificial sweetener, but find I'm starving when I use them. I drink water everyday, I love fruits and salads. But I'm not getting anywhere, it's like 1 step forward 2 steps back. Even my husband has commented so many times, why cant you lose weight, that hurts, I'm trying, I really am. I just don't seem to lose any. I've tried diet pills, shots, garcinia, advocare, curves, counting calories, hydroxycut, sensa, you name it Ive tried it with little or no success. Please somebody tell me what I'm doing wrong, I so want and need to be lighter and healthier!!!! I don't want to forever be dieting, but simply do it right consistently!!!

Replies

• release_the_kraken
    release_the_kraken Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    Have you gone to the doctor for any tests? Thryoid..some other glandular issue?
    Just a thought. Seems like you've ran the gambit of self help, an internet board is probably not gonna help you be anymore determined than you already are.
    I'd make a doc appointment and get full bloodwork done.
  • CupcakeCrusoe
    CupcakeCrusoe Posts: 1,382 Member
    Options
    Hi! This really awesome fella Trog made a great list of things to start with:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1235566-so-you-re-new-here

Feel free to friend me!
  • yo_andi
    yo_andi Posts: 2,178 Member
    Options
    Hi and welcome back. Are you serious about it this time? Are you ready to stick with it for the long haul?

Good.

Buckle up.

Now, how tall are you and what is your weight? With that kind of activity level I suspect that 1220 might be too few calories (unless you're very, very short). Do you weigh your food? Like, on a food scale, and using measuring cups/spoons for liquids?

When you say "overall you're sticking to your goals," what does that mean? Are you sticking to 1220 despite added exercise calories? Are you sticking to 1220 a few days a week and going over on weekends?

The only way to really start this process is to be completely honest with yourself. You ready for that?
  • Bownzi
    Bownzi Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    Yeah...I have tried many different things but the best is exersizing and eating right...and keeping up with logging.. I have had a lot of support from my friends here...add me if you want to..I always answer...=0) Good luck
  • pascogirl95
    pascogirl95 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I've already seen the doctor had tests ran, thyroid and everything else is fine, except that I'm shrinking, I've lost over 3 inches in height in the last 5 years.... and need to lose weight.
  • pascogirl95
    Options
    Thank you I will read through it and hopefully find new ideas to use.
  • Sharol1
    Sharol1 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I'm a grandmother, too, and have discovered that the older you get, the harder you have to work to lose unwanted pounds. It is so important to weigh and measure your food. Those portion sizes and the calories they contain do tend to creep up quickly. Also, 3 miles per hour on the treadmill seems pretty slow unless you are walking at a very steep incline. I would try to increase my speed to at least 6 miles per hour, Maybe you can only walk this fast for a minute or 2 in the beginning, but it will become easier as you go along. Good luck and keep perservering!
  • pascogirl95
    Options
    Hi thanks for replying. I'm 5'6'' and currently weigh 248. No I do not weigh my food, but yes I use measuring cups. I stick to 1220 for food, no I dont count the exercise calories as part of that, just 1220 for my food and drinks. It shows at the end of the day that I am under. I did not go over at all last week, but did once this week on Sunday. What am I doing wrong?
  • pascogirl95
    Options
    Thank you
  • donnat238
    donnat238 Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    I was in the same boat last year. My doctor recommended that I increase my protein. After tracking for a few weeks I was averaging 10-15 grams of protein a day (on a good day) My Dr recommended 45-50 grams per day. I found that it really curbed my hunger. Good luck!!
  • pascogirl95
    Options
    I'm always too low in protein, I tried working out with a personal trainer for a couple of months a year or so ago, and I constantly heard more protein, more protein... Thanks for that suggestion.
  • yo_andi
    yo_andi Posts: 2,178 Member
    Options
    Hi thanks for replying. I'm 5'6'' and currently weigh 248. No I do not weigh my food, but yes I use measuring cups. I stick to 1220 for food, no I dont count the exercise calories as part of that, just 1220 for my food and drinks. It shows at the end of the day that I am under. I did not go over at all last week, but did once this week on Sunday. What am I doing wrong?

You may want to consider eating back some, if not all, of your exercise calories. I ran your numbers quickly and got a calorie goal of 1744 to lose... very different from 1220-whatever exercise calories you may burn.

Also, definitely get a food scale. Eyeballing leads to gross errors. A food scale will help your accuracy and accuracy = results.

Here's a great post from someone much, much smarter than me to help get you on the right track:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants

Good luck!
  • chezwhat
    chezwhat Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Hi, Pasco girl. You can do this! It sounds to me like you're taking in a LOT of sugar, with the sweet tea and fruit. Including those in your calorie count doesn't leave you much room for enough truly nutritious food, maybe. Sugar is SO addictive, and messes with your blood chemistry and everything. That's one of the first things you might consider changing; I know it's rough, because one of my first chores was to cut my wine consumption way, way back, and it left me craving sugar! I still have sweet treats once in a while, but only when I've banked twice as many exercise calories (NOT from the regular calorie allowance) as the treat contains. What's the calorie intake MFP recommends for you? 1220 sounds really, really low, and if you're dealing with that much deprivation it might be hard to stay on track. I'd also suggest adding back at least half your exercise calories; it can be very motivating! ;0)
  • mumabearshaz
    Options
    Hi, I can relate to this sounds the same as I was a year ago & not a great deal weight wise has happened since however you might like to talk to your DR about fluid retention & also hormones to just rule out those kinds of problems first. I have double of what you have to loose. I have lost then gained back & just lost again 8 kgs in the last 2 months. I have just started to go swimming at our local leisure centre doing laps I swim half to three quarters of a km but do 30 mins non stop physio warm up exersises to begin currently trying to get there 3 times a week. At home I do weighs & band exersises. I have just got a dietician & a physiologist on board so hoping to get big changes after they help me sort my exersise programme out so as I get the best results for me just stop worrying I know it's really hard sometimes with partners being negative but we aren't doing it for them this is for us so keep focused & when the weight does move enjoy all the compliments hubby will be quieter all of a sudden. Try new things be open to change so long as it's good change. I hope that helps you a little. Cheers to looking forward to a happier healthier us.
  • Deena_Bean
    Deena_Bean Posts: 906 Member
    Options
    I'm a grandmother, too, and have discovered that the older you get, the harder you have to work to lose unwanted pounds. It is so important to weigh and measure your food. Those portion sizes and the calories they contain do tend to creep up quickly. Also, 3 miles per hour on the treadmill seems pretty slow unless you are walking at a very steep incline. I would try to increase my speed to at least 6 miles per hour, Maybe you can only walk this fast for a minute or 2 in the beginning, but it will become easier as you go along. Good luck and keep perservering!

6mph is pretty quick - I couldn't keep up that pace for long when I was running all the time. I think 3.5 is probably a good number and maybe add some incline until you feel confident in increasing either speed or incline. Don't hurt yourself, though. My knees can't handle long runs anymore, so if I'm walking I try to make it as quick as I can without having to job. That generally means no faster than 4mph for me. Just my take...
    Good luck, though. Experiment with your calories...1220 is pretty low especially if you're walking that much. You just might not be giving yourself enough fuel. I learned that one the hard way too.
  • abear007
    abear007 Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    Please somebody tell me what I'm doing wrong, I so want and need to be lighter and healthier!!!! I don't want to forever be dieting, but simply do it right consistently!!!
    Everyone has to find a way that works for them and unfortunately you have to be extremely patient and willing to experiment. I started out by cutting out sugar and refined wheat while eating all the meat, veggies I wanted, plus a little fruit and very little cheese. That worked out great - but I would still plateau for a week or more and end up only loosing a pound or so which is okay, but I want better progress. Lately I've added in intermittent fasting - I only eat between 4pm and 8pm which ends up like having a big feast at the end of the day where I have all my allotted calories in that window. (It's not a license to binge on junk of course). So far, so good.

But the point is, you have to find the way that works for you and that might take a good while of playing around with it, experimenting.
  • pascogirl95
    Options
    ok......so i need to add in more food on the days I exercise, which is 6 days a week, every day but Sunday... help please??
  • abear007
    abear007 Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    ok......so i need to add in more food on the days I exercise, which is 6 days a week, every day but Sunday... help please??
    People can only give you suggestions to try - not a sure fire, guaranteed method. It's up to you to experiment and find what works for you. At the end of the day, you have to burn more calories than you take in but HOW you get to that state in a way you can follow and patiently stick with is something you have to figure out.
  • anntrimble25
    Options
    Hello,
    I just wanted to tell it is great that you are doing your best. I wanted to get to know your workout routine. If it is becoming easy, you gotta kick it up a notch so try to boost up the speed or interval. The reason I say this is that if you do not intensify the routine, your body accommodates, and begins to plateau. It is very important to take in enough calories as well (I see some have already given you this advice). I suggest getting a heart rate monitor, some are very good priced/not crazy expensive.. Here is a site you can look at to find what it should be elevated too http://www.heart.org/HEARTORG/GettingHealthy/PhysicalActivity/Target-Heart-Rates_UCM_434341_Article.jsp.
  • DumbwaiterRainbow
    Options
    Hi, Pasco girl. You can do this! It sounds to me like you're taking in a LOT of sugar, with the sweet tea and fruit. Including those in your calorie count doesn't leave you much room for enough truly nutritious food, maybe. Sugar is SO addictive, and messes with your blood chemistry and everything. That's one of the first things you might consider changing; I know it's rough, because one of my first chores was to cut my wine consumption way, way back, and it left me craving sugar! I still have sweet treats once in a while, but only when I've banked twice as many exercise calories (NOT from the regular calorie allowance) as the treat contains. What's the calorie intake MFP recommends for you? 1220 sounds really, really low, and if you're dealing with that much deprivation it might be hard to stay on track. I'd also suggest adding back at least half your exercise calories; it can be very motivating! ;0)

This! This was a big thing for me. It finally hit me when I logged a normal day of eating before I started working on my weight loss. The amount of sugar from all sources was through the roof! Since then, I have lessened my carb intake (sticking mainly to whole grains. If it's white, no bite) and increased my lean protein intake and found that I am no longer craving sweet or starchy things the way I am accostomed too. Reducing the sugar might help your body adjust! However, I am not a professional...