Bacon!

Options
jadedone
jadedone Posts: 2,449 Member
I don't know about you, but I sometimes I really get a craving for bacon. I've been picking up a reduced fat bacon from Whole Foods.

http://www.wellshirefarms.com/store/page7.html

It actually just tastes like bacon. No gimmicks. It it pork bacon, nitrate free. I think they just use a slightly leaner pig. Not sure, but it is still streaky and gets crispy.

60 calories, 3 grams of fat for 2 slices. Just had to share for you other Bacon lovers. :)

Replies

• HeatherShrinking
    HeatherShrinking Posts: 805 Member
    Options
    Awesome thanks!
  • taso42_DELETED
    taso42_DELETED Posts: 3,394 Member
    Options
    Not bad! Turkey bacon is also quite good. I only buy the stuff with no added nitrates or chemicals. It's got about 3g fat / 12g protein per 2 slices. Sure, it's not the same as real bacon, but it's still quite tasty. Cook it till it's nice and crispy.
  • kdiamond
    kdiamond Posts: 3,329 Member
    Options
    Yes, I buy the same one for my family. It is quite good.

OP - turkey bacon is actually worse for you than regular nitrate-free bacon. There is no reason to subtitute! Buy the real stuff!
  • dan_jones
    dan_jones Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    I haven't tried the bacon from Whole Foods you suggested but it sounds like it may work for some. I usually get Oscar Mayer Thick Cut bacon. It tastes really good and the nutritional info I saw wasn't too bad. I have a tip for all bacon lovers. When I cook it and its draining on paper towels I always break off all the excess fat areas and toss them. Sometimes you can get rid of quite a bit and what's left is the best part anyway. I only started doing this in the past few months but its great having your bacon and eating it too! Just toss the fat.

Dan :wink:
  • jadedone
    Options
    @kdiamond. I agree. And turkey bacon doesn't really taste like bacon so it doesn't cure the craving . I'd rather have canadian bacon if I am subbing.
  • dspearsb
    dspearsb Posts: 186
    Options
    That's so funny because I woke up craving bacon too! I felt like the dog from the Beggin strips commercial. LOL! I didnt have any low fat so I only had 3 strips but it was all I needed! :)
  • taso42_DELETED
    taso42_DELETED Posts: 3,394 Member
    Options
    @kdiamond - how do you reckon turkey bacon is "worse for you"? I looked up the nutritional data on the Wellshire and compared it to Applegate farms turkey bacon. The turkey bacon has twice the protein and half the fat.

Sometimes you just gotta have bacon, and there's nothing wrong with that. I indulge in some authentic crispy bacon once in a while, but I can (and do) eat the turkey bacon every single morning.
  • fishiewishes
    fishiewishes Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    Pardon my ignorence here but is American bacon a lot different to the bacon we get in the UK? the stuff we have over here is really lean with hardly any fat!

394_bacon.jpg

Obviously I cut off the rest of the fat (this is the rindless variety of back bacon)
  • Tomhusker
    Tomhusker Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    I buy slab bacon from the local meat shop. I have no idea what the nutritional value of it is, as it comes wrapped in white butchers paper. BUT, we have only had about 6 pieces, mostly chopped up for recipes and such. I do have a couple packages of turkey bacon in the fridge and eat that mostly. I'd really like to know which one is best but they both seem to have their strengths and weaknesses.
  • jadedone
    Options
    RE: UK bacon for us that is canadian bacon, it is a lot more like ham.

Here is a good pic of typical american bacon:
    http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_eWOd6EHA6kE/TLxkC0oPlcI/AAAAAAAAABU/nCZntV9WyVQ/s1600/bacon2.jpg
  • LuckyLeprechaun
    LuckyLeprechaun Posts: 6,296 Member
    Options
    turkey bacon is very high in sodium, to make that taste, so that's why I avoid it and just go with pork when bacon needs strike...
  • time2move
    time2move Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    We do like dan_jones does. I've always put the bacon right on paper towels after. Too greasy otherwise. I also (try) stick to the serving size. And to think my husband does bacon sandwiches... just bacon, mayo and bread... ugh.
  • fishiewishes
    fishiewishes Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    RE: UK bacon for us that is canadian bacon, it is a lot more like ham.

Here is a good pic of typical american bacon:
    http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_eWOd6EHA6kE/TLxkC0oPlcI/AAAAAAAAABU/nCZntV9WyVQ/s1600/bacon2.jpg

Thanks for clearing that up for me, always been confused about that!
  • LiveLife73
    Options
    how much sodium is in it ..
  • jenmcgraw
    jenmcgraw Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    We do like dan_jones does. I've always put the bacon right on paper towels after. Too greasy otherwise. I also (try) stick to the serving size. And to think my husband does bacon sandwiches... just bacon, mayo and bread... ugh.

I had to laugh... I LOVE bacon sandwiches and have never met anyone else who makes them! But... since im trying to lose the last 10 pds. I wont be seeing any in the near future:( BTW- The sandwiches are best when the bread is super soft.
  • MzBug
    MzBug Posts: 2,173 Member
    Options
    My guy loves his bacon! Sooo he got bacon everything for Christmas. 8 varieties of bacon from a smokehouse, a T shirt with Homer Simpson, bacon flavored lip balm, bacon flavored dental floss, bacon/maple lolipops, and band-aids that look like raw bacon. Yes it was overkill, but all he said he wanted for Christmas was bacon! :devil:

I like to use the Hormel Bacon Crumbles in omelets, salads, baked potatoes and grilled cheese and bacon sandwiches. Very little fat, and lower in sodium than any strip bacon I have seen. We cook the bacon in the microwave with paper towels double thick under and single layer over the top.