Losing inches but not lbs???

Options
So, I weighed the other day and I freaking gained weight! GRRRRR... SO DISCOURAGING!! But I measured today and I've lost an inch in my waist and an inch in my hips... what's up with that?!

I've already posted this on my profile, but hopefully others can help... I really want to lose weight (I know that losing inches is a good thing, but for some reason it's not as satisfying to me) - does anyone have any tips or thoughts on why I am not losing weight and how I can?

I've been dieting and exercising everyday! I have no clue what is going on! Please HELP! thanxx :D

Replies

• slindsey137
    slindsey137 Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    Your probably gaining muscle, which weighs more than fat.
  • sabrinalg
    sabrinalg Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    Everybody's body is different. For me I'm like you I lose inches but the scale barely budges. I figure with losing the inches that means smaller clothes size, and I'm absolutely fine with that! I just keep doing what I'm doing and I figure the weight will catch up later, lol!!!
  • momma85
    momma85 Posts: 17
    Options
    i know that they say muscle weight is more than fat weight... maybe that's what's happening? i don't know... i get frustrated.. some days i feel like i'm thinner but i've gained weight, and then other days i feel huge and i've lost weight... :( i'm sorry... at least you're losing inches though. i'm sure the weight will follow.. how long have you been dieting and exercising?
  • KatieArnold
    Options
    Can't give you any advice but I know where u are coming from. I started on my diet on 1st Jan and have lost 3 pounds despite only falling off the wagon once and exercising everyday, I have toned up but I am so frustrated especially since my husband started a week ago and has lost 7 pounds. All I can suggest is hang in there we have got to lose pounds at some point!!!! :smile:
  • NoAdditives
    NoAdditives Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options
    Losing weight is not technically your goal. What you want is to lose fat, which is what losing inches means. Depending on the kind of exercise you're doing you may be putting on muscle or your muscles may be holding onto water while they repair themselves. Either way, it's not a big deal. You lost inches, you burned fat. That's what you want, don't worry about the scale.
  • Laceylala
    Laceylala Posts: 3,094 Member
    Options
    One pound of muscle and one pound of fat both weigh 16 oz...however, one pound of muscle is more dense....takes up WAY less room than one pound of fat. They are NOT the same size.

here is a pic I randomly found on the internet:
    http://www.thefitclubnetwork.com/2009/01/one-pound-of-fat-vs-one-pound-of-muscle/

(I didn't read the article...just the pic is what I am after to show you).
  • Aeriel
    Aeriel Posts: 864 Member
    Options

I've read it......a great article! Been quoting it to my friends with scale frustration. :smile:
  • BakingGranny
    BakingGranny Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    I asked the Dr if it's true that muscle weighs more or heavier than fat and he said a lb is a lb is a lb. Doesn't matter what it is if it's a lb it's a lb. So I would suggest that maybe you could drop a 100 cals from your diet. I did and it works. So just give it a try. I know it's very discouraging but if you're lose inches at least your losing.
  • Laceylala
    Options
    Here's another:
    http://potentialization.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2010/10/fatmuscle.jpg

So you lost inches and probably lost sizes? That is as good or better. The scale blows. Its not a good way to show off our hard work is it?
  • unckat09
    Options
    While most say that muscle weighs "more" than fat, it is more accurate to think of it like cotton balls vs lead. 25lbs of cotton balls will weigh the exact same as 25 lbs of lead. However, it takes a LOT more cotton balls than lead to reach 25lbs.

You are toning and developing your muscles which means you are losing "cotton ball" space and replacing it with lean muscle. Thus, it might be the same amount of weight taking up a lot less space. That's why you are losing inches. The scale might not move the way you want it to, but I bet you will be down a dress size sooner rather than later!! Good job!!! :smile:
  • klininger
    Options
    This is something you're going to have to keep dealing with. My husband started 3 weeks after me and has lost 10 pounds more than me. I've lost 44 while he's at 53. I'm happy for him, but it's a constant sore spot with me. My doctor told me not to get frustrated, but it's hard not to.
  • lalalalyndsey
    Options
    i know that they say muscle weight is more than fat weight... maybe that's what's happening? i don't know... i get frustrated.. some days i feel like i'm thinner but i've gained weight, and then other days i feel huge and i've lost weight... :( i'm sorry... at least you're losing inches though. i'm sure the weight will follow.. how long have you been dieting and exercising?

Its been almost a month now. I'm not sure the exact date I started... I've been doing basically cardio thinking I would just lose fat and not gain too much muscle. I'm so confused with all of this... I hope my weight drops... I can't help but be bothered by the numbers on the scale.
  • tczaja
    tczaja Posts: 12
    Options
    I agree with everyone. Fat weighs the same but takes up LOTS more room! Losing fat is the most healthy way to lose weight. When people 'crash diet' they tend to lose muscle. Can you imagine losing weight but NOT inches? You would look the same and your skinny clothes still wouldn't fit. THAT would be frustrating! Keep up the good work! Sounds like you are very healthy!!
  • rhysmommy
    Options
    yeah..ou might be gaining muscle and loosing fat
  • lalalalyndsey
    Options
    I asked the Dr if it's true that muscle weighs more or heavier than fat and he said a lb is a lb is a lb. Doesn't matter what it is if it's a lb it's a lb. So I would suggest that maybe you could drop a 100 cals from your diet. I did and it works. So just give it a try. I know it's very discouraging but if you're lose inches at least your losing.

I'm sorry, but 1200 cals is low enough for me... I don't want to torture myself with 100 less than that. I've been exercising almost everday and try not to eat my workout calories so I'm actually consuming less that 1100. My body is supposed to burn way more than that by itself. If I don't see the scale move down soon I might try your suggestion... THANKS!!
  • CobraBubbles
    Options
    Muscle does not weigh more than fat... it is more DENSE than fat. Which could very well mean you have burned fat & gained muscle. This is why muscular people can weigh so much more, but look like they weigh significantly less.

Put two females side by each; the same height, the same weight: depending on how they train, it is more than likely the more muscular of the two is going to be 'smaller'.
  • lalalalyndsey
    Options
    Thanks to everyone for their responses and great info! I will try to keep a positive mind about the numbers on the scale and be happy that I'm losing inches! Hopefully the weight will soon follow!

THANKS AGAIN!! :D
  • kimwig
    kimwig Posts: 164
    Options
    So, I weighed the other day and I freaking gained weight! GRRRRR... SO DISCOURAGING!! But I measured today and I've lost an inch in my waist and an inch in my hips... what's up with that?!

I've already posted this on my profile, but hopefully others can help... I really want to lose weight (I know that losing inches is a good thing, but for some reason it's not as satisfying to me) - does anyone have any tips or thoughts on why I am not losing weight and how I can?

I've been dieting and exercising everyday! I have no clue what is going on! Please HELP! thanxx :D
    I have mentioned this to a number of people.

Try increasing your amount of fibre (whether through more fruit / veg or using a soluble fibre supplement).

If you are losing inches then you are either losing fat, or your muscles are becoming tighter / more toned. It is unlikely that you are significantly increasing muscle as this is very hard to do, especially for a female.

When dieting we often take in less food volume, and less fibre, which slows down or "internals" ( to put in nicely). Our "internals" hold a lot of "stuff" that we have eaten that has yet to be "expelled" (there are many other words fir this but you get the picture).

If your throughput is not good you will be holding weight (not fat or muscle or water) in there and you just have to encourage it out.

I hope that helps, in the politest way I could explain it.
  • Laceylala
    Options

I'm sorry, but 1200 cals is low enough for me... I don't want to torture myself with 100 less than that. I've been exercising almost everday and try not to eat my workout calories so I'm actually consuming less that 1100. My body is supposed to burn way more than that by itself. If I don't see the scale move down soon I might try your suggestion... THANKS!!

Have you read any of the posts regarding eating back your exercise calories by chance?