regular or diet food?

Options

Replies

• deansdad101
    deansdad101 Posts: 644 Member
    Options
    Just curious: Who here eats "diet" food - meaning food that has been made sugar free/fat free/calorie free? And who here only eats regular food?

Example - Will you eat a regular yogurt or a reduced fat/calorie yogurt? Will you eat regular bread or reduced fat/calorie bread?

I know there are pros and cons to both, so I was just wondering what most of you all choose.
    TMB;

Have (in a previous life) "swung both ways" (on "diet" foods<g>).

When I was still under the "spell" of the low cal, low fat, USDA Pyramid charlatans, we went straight to the "diet foods" aisle did not pass Go and didn't collect $500 because that's what the "experts" said to do. LoCal - first, last, forever!!

Cal reduction worked (we both lost ~1#/wk average over a couple months) - but "food" no longer tasted like the food we had come to know, love, and enjoy for our many prior decades of existence.

Like many others though, there were "some" items we just couldn't give up - butter, eggs, a glass or two of wine, red meat, etc. So "perfection" be damned!!

The more "research" we delved into regarding the (pathetic) "outcomes" (radically increased rates of obesity, diabetes, etc) of such "expert" advice over the last 40 years - the more we came to understand that while cals do matter, they're NOT the "holy grail".

Macro nutrient "balance" (as in LCHF) matters MUCH more - not only for long term weight reduction and maintenance, but, more importantly, for overall health and wellness.

Others can agree or disagree and I'm the first to offer the disclaimers that "no method works for everyone", "everyone is different", and "what matters most is that the method you select is one that you can sustain, long term".

We know what works (worked) for US and have no interest in "converting" anyone - that's a job for others more skilled in that arena.

BUT, for US - the "rule" now is, "If it says "diet" on the label - it STAYS on the shelf"

The "reasons" are legendary, many of which have been mentioned in this thread and all of which can be uncovered by anyone willing to spend the time and effort to do their own "DD".

Adding back "full fat" (which is where most of the "taste" comes from), "real" foods, to our "diets", while continuing to lose weight (in my case), or to "maintain" (in my bride's case), AND eliminating the HFCS they add to "improve the taste" of the LoCal, processed, "diet" JUNK - was the BEST thing we've EVER done - both for our long term "wellness" outcomes, AND for our ability to sustain, long term.
  • cosmiqrust
    cosmiqrust Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    i'm trying to stick to real food as much as possible, but i eat low-fat greek yogurt and skim milk, and i'm a sucker for sugarfree energy drinks when i'm in a pinch. it's not like i'm grabbing junk from the actual diet aisle. when you say "diet food" i'm imagining a shopping cart full of special k products.
  • SingRunTing
    SingRunTing Posts: 2,604 Member
    Options
    Mostly regular food with a few exceptions. One is drinking 2% milk instead of whole because I can't stomach whole milk. I also drink diet coke because I like it better than regular.

Everything else is just based on flavor variety. A lot of times I'll buy low fat yogurt instead of regular because I want the strawberry cheesecake flavor (or whatever) and that one happens to be the low fat one. Same with ice cream. I usually stick with the basic cookie dough, but sometimes the low fat flavors intrigue me and I'll buy it.
  • Meerataila
    Meerataila Posts: 1,885 Member
    Options
    I eat real food. Heavy on fiber, light on additives and processing. It's far more expensive than either diet food or standard American diet food, but I feel a hell of a lot better on it.
  • hill8570
    hill8570 Posts: 1,466 Member
    Options
    Regular food. When I go on maintenance I'll just up my quantities.
  • MrsWilliams89
    MrsWilliams89 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Only regular food. I don't like fake sweetener and I don't think unnatural things are all that great for me anyway. I look at it as this is not a temporary change and I would only want to eat "diet" food temporarily. There is a place for the "bad" foods in my life because I will want them forever, I am never going to wake up with a distaste for potato chips and cheese burgers. The key is balance and moderation. The best super healthy foods come straight from the earth anyway.
  • sweetnlow30
    sweetnlow30 Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    I mostly eat regular food with some exception. I don't like drinking my calories so I stick to water, unsweetened almond milk and coffee with Splenda and the occasional diet drink. I do have a few go to lower calorie salty snacks like Special K cracker chips because I love the taste and can moderate my portion better than potato chips. I used to eat low fat yogurt but I find the full fat versions of foods just stick with me better. I choose lower calorie meats because the fats from meat like beef make me feel ill. For the most part we eat healthy whole foods with some treats in the mix for my sanity lol.
  • donnat238
    donnat238 Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    about 90% real and 10% diet (mostly lower fat dairy products - it just tastes better to me than the full fat stuff)
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    Hmm. I would deny eating "diet" food and claim that I eat just regular food, but there are lower calorie, lower fat options that I eat and have since well before I was watching my weight. Mostly, certain kinds of lower fat dairy.

I also prefer to make my own salad dressing but when I'm out or feeling lazy I'm likely to go for lower calorie options, since I don't generally want to waste the calories on salad dressing. I wouldn't necessarily defend this as a great choice, but for me they are a trade off. (I know fat is good when eating vegetables, but I'm talking about salads that already have some kind of fat source on them.)

Oh, also diet drinks sometimes. Not as an alternative to the sugary versions, but just to have something other than water, coffee, and iced tea.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    Depends. I buy 2% milk, more by habit than anything else really, but I hardly drink it anyway, and the kids can use the extra calories. Yogurt, I can't really tell the difference between nonfat and 2% or more, so I go for nonfat, besides when I have some it's for a low calorie protein snack anyway. But I typically avoid the artificial sweetened stuff... yuck. I like Stevia but that's about it. For cheese, it depends, cheddar typically low fat as I just use it in salads or dishes anyway, for the other cheeses sometimes saving 10 calories isn't worth using low fat... Puddings etc, the only sugar free stuff I liked were the Jello mousses. Can't stand the other stuff.

Bread... what's the point? It's just less dense, and typically those '40 calorie slices' are typically more like 50 anyway, and not satisfying at all. I typically buy the smaller loaves that have 60ish calories slices.

Salad dressing, definitely light. Or I make my own. Mayo... light. I don't use it much anyway.

Ice cream, a bit of both, depending on the calories I have (typically it's Breyer's or Edy's slow churned for lower calories, and Talenti for regular, I avoid the 300+ calories a serving stuff).

I don't drink soda.

In the end, it really depends on what is worth spending your calories on for you.
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    I eat both but I usually only go "diet" with soda (oh, and I throw Splenda on my oatmeal in the morning instead of sugar). My yogurt is plain. I do use calorie free salad dressing instead of full fat, full sugar.
  • tmbg1
    tmbg1 Posts: 1,283 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the input!
  • BombshellPhoenix
    BombshellPhoenix Posts: 1,693 Member
    Options
    Whatever helps me meet my goals and leaves me satiated. Ate the same way during weight loss as I am for my gain
  • Calliope610
    Calliope610 Posts: 3,771 Member
    Options
    The only lo-cal, no-cal I do is Crystal Light and diet Coke.
  • TheMannon
    TheMannon Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Mostly regular food - I don't count ground turkey as diet food.

I do eat a lot of shiritaki noodles. And like some others, I drink Mio and crystal lite and diet sodas.
  • icrushit
    icrushit Posts: 773 Member
    Options
    The only people I trust to 'improve' my food are either me or a decent cook - real food all the way for me! :)
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    The only "diet" food I consume is diet soda (why waste 150-170 calories out of my day?) and 0% yogurt (because I can never find 2% plain around here). The one time I bought fat free sour cream I was horrified...give me the real stuff any day!

Oh, I've also switched to Kraft Mayo w/Olive Oil because it's only 35 calories for a serving instead of 100.
  • darlilama
    darlilama Posts: 794 Member
    Options
    I suppose it's what you classify as "diet". I use Silk Unsweetened Vanilla Almond Milk because I like it AND it has fewer calories, but I don't consider it "diet". It's a real food - not purposely altered, so to speak, to make it low-cal, etc.

I drink 1% Organic Milk because I like it. I don't really consider it "diet". It's just how much cream is left in the final product. (My dear old granddad happened to be a small farm dairy farmer, "back in the day".) Yes, really, the organic stuff tastes way better to me. My husband bought regular brand 1% milk once and I could not drink it because I thought it tasted so nasty.

I eat Dannon Light & Fit Greek Yogurt and I DO consider this a "diet" food because it does contain sucralose.

I eat 2% cheese, but again I don't consider it "diet" because it's just a matter of which milk was used to produce it. I DO NOT eat "Fat Free" cheeses because they have lots of added salt and god-knows-what to improve flavor and texture.

I read the labels for nutrition and ingredients - all - the - time. That's what I use to make my decision, not the "name" on the packaging.

Let me add that I do not try to eat "clean". I do use "convenience" foods, but I'm trying to do better at staying away from them because of all the added "stuff".
  • tabicatinthehat
    tabicatinthehat Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    I drink the "Zero" sodas, the light sour cream (it doesn't have all that water on the top!), some light yogurts, but that's about it. I will go for higher fiber or protein versions if they're offered, though.
  • ladymiseryali
    ladymiseryali Posts: 2,555 Member
    Options
    I eat both. I eat sugar-free foods and also full fat foods. Low carb gives me the best of both worlds.