Progress without Progress?

Options
Two weeks now I have been using a fit bit flex, which tracks my steps, which helps me estimate calories burned. The cool thing about it is that it tracks many things and though not 100% accurate helps you understand where you are at in keeping in line with goal of weight loss.

So according to fitbit on average I am burning roughly 3500 calories a day, and eating around 2200 - 2600 a day. A little more aggressive than my -1000 calorie deficit to lose weight. I started this @ 260lbs. Then I dropped last week to 255lbs. Yet here I am again a week later back at 260lb's.

I wouldn't care if I weighed 4,000lbs honestly as long as I felt great and was in great shape.
I am just curious how many of you think I could be losing fat weight but replacing it with muscle weight?

My weekly calorie deficit is roughly 7000 - 8000 calories per week. consuming about 24,000 and burning 30,000+

Replies

• aneary1980
    aneary1980 Posts: 461 Member
    Options
    Did you weight yourself on the same scales at the same time and in the same conditions?
  • SAR1L
    SAR1L Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Yes
  • aneary1980
    aneary1980 Posts: 461 Member
    Options
    my weight loss goes like this, I lose alot of weight all at once, 4lbs-6lbs then over the next four weeks it goes back up and down and then suddenly I lose 4lbs-6lbs you may have the same issue it's annoying but don't panic about a flutuation over a week check the generally trend over a month. You may have eaten extra salt or you muscles may be holding on to water.
  • SAR1L
    Options
    That is probably it, I am trying to re-work my to have a lot less salt, cause it is seriously too much at the moment.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    Since you are eating at a deficit, no, I don't think you are gaining muscle. I think it is likely water weight fluctuations.
  • zichab
    zichab Posts: 1,452 Member
    Options
    YEP! this. In looking at your diary, you really have to cut the sodium down as it is no doubt adding to water retention. BTW, this might also be why you are experiencing symptoms of heart issues. Increase your water consumption to flush it out and you might feel much better while running. It is hard for the heart to pump all that fluid you are hanging on to around your whole body. This may not be it, but it certainly a place to start.
  • SAR1L
    Options
    I definitely don't disagree with cutting out the sodium, however it definitely isn't why I was experiencing chest pains.
    Doctors looked at my heart and lungs and said things are fine, and my stress exercise test showed no issues.

Been doing a lot of trial and error this month, and a lot of it seems to be stemming from impact of running. I notice that when I run if my knees don't hurt cause keeping really focused on minimizing run bounce, then chest doesn't hurt. If getting to much jolt n jar in my run my knees begin to hurt, then seems I start experiencing chest pain as well.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,401 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Do you use a food scale?

Also, just looking at your diary, i would recommend lowering your carbs a bit and adding more protein. That will help mitigate some water weight too. But definitely look at trends over a 4-6 week time period. You can fluctuate up to 10 lbs a day.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    Do you use a food scale?

^ This. If you are measuring not weighing foods you may be eating 10-30% more than you think you are, and if you are not even measuring you may be 50%+ off on estimations.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    From what I understand from all the reading on message boards, if you're eating at a deficit, you won't gain muscle.

If you do it will be very little, and usually for those that are obese and new or returning to lifting while getting adequate protein.... otherwise you will most likely be losing some muscle along with the fat.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    Did you recently start exercising? Strength training?

Also, do you use a food scale and log everything?
  • TheStephil
    TheStephil Posts: 858 Member
    Options
    A few things:
    1. If you aren't weighing your foods then get a food scale. Your food intake could be off if you are relying on measuring cups or eyeballing portions.
    2. You shouldn't be building muscle if you are eating at a deficit.
    3. Could definitely be water weight. Drink more water and try to cut down sodium. I have a problem of eating a lot of sodium but I compensate by drinking extra water.
    4. If you have recently increased or changed your exercise routine, you body may retain water until it gets used to the new exercise. Be patient.

I use my Fitbit Flex and overall it's about 95% correct for me. There are weeks I don't lose and then suddenly I'm down 2 pounds (my goal is 0.5lbs a week).
  • SAR1L
    Options
    This being my 3rd time round after losing 70lbs+ the first two times.
    I didn't have a food scale for either of those times, and feel like counting
    over every gram + counting calories would probably be too obsessive
    for my personal taste. Even though I know it is less accurate.

I do however log everything, even small samples and bites, every
    nibble and crumb, I am very strict there.

In regards to exercise, I did start again recently, probably about 3 - 4
    weeks ago.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    This being my 3rd time round after losing 70lbs+ the first two times.
    I didn't have a food scale for either of those times, and feel like counting
    over every gram + counting calories would probably be too obsessive
    for my personal taste. Even though I know it is less accurate.

I do however log everything, even small samples and bites, every
    nibble and crumb, I am very strict there.

In regards to exercise, I did start again recently, probably about 3 - 4
    weeks ago.

If you were doing well without a food scale, I see no reason to change it based on your preferences not to use one. I would give it a couple of weeks and see what your weight does as you may well have glycogen/water retention from starting to exercise which can take quite a few weeks to settle down.
  • kryztoval
    kryztoval Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    On topic: I think you would need an accurate (or at least a constant) way of measuring muscle mass to know if you are shedding pounds and gaining muscle or not. I would suggest to take a look at Skulpt that device sounds promising.

Off topic: Sorry if I do but I don't mean to hijack this thread.

Why shouldn't we try to gain muscle mass while eating at a deficit?

I am eating at a deficit and so far (according to an impedance scale) I have gained 26.68lb of muscle and lost 77.82lb of fat. I would not call the measures accurate (I only use them as guidance) as the device goes from hand to hand (I can't wait to get my hands on an accurate device like the "Skulpt").
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,401 MFP Moderator
    Options
    On topic: I think you would need an accurate (or at least a constant) way of measuring muscle mass to know if you are shedding pounds and gaining muscle or not. I would suggest to take a look at Skulpt that device sounds promising.

Off topic: Sorry if I do but I don't mean to hijack this thread.

Why shouldn't we try to gain muscle mass while eating at a deficit?

I am eating at a deficit and so far (according to an impedance scale) I have gained 26.68lb of muscle and lost 77.82lb of fat. I would not call the measures accurate (I only use them as guidance) as the device goes from hand to hand (I can't wait to get my hands on an accurate device like the "Skulpt").

We can guarantee you, that you did not gain 26 lbs of muscle. It's very difficult to gain muscle during weight loss because there isn't enough energy to create additional mass. While some can gain a few lbs from either noob gains or they are morbidly obese, for most people, the science suggests it's very difficult without a surplus of calories or steroids. The goal of people losing weight should be to try and maintain their lean body mass, because it's natural to lose lean body mass during loss mainly because your body doesn't like carrying additional weight around. You have to remember, muscle is very inefficient and requires a lot of calories.

BTW, bioimpadence machines are very inaccurate. The way you set it up will affect everything, so does hydration level. If I listened to my bioimpedance tool, I would be at 9% body fat. I can assure you I am not since I still do not have a well defined 6 pack.