Poll: MFP Friends Do They Matter or Do Raspberry Ketones?

Options
Poll: MFP Friends Do They Matter or Do Raspberry Ketones?

I have been back into MFP seriously since early March and I am seeing modest results that I am happy with.
I am an IFFYM kind of guy, eating between by BMR and TDEE, working out a lot, and enjoying the lifestyle. I am a 5'7" middle-aged guy. I started at 203 lbs and look to get around 155-165 depending on my bodyfat and how I look and feel.

I actually feel like I am already "maintaining" - I just tweak my calories so that I have a deficit. No big deal.. but I am heading in the right direction:

March 1st - 200.2
April 1st - 196.2
May 1st - 196.4
June 1st - 192.6
July 1st - 191.4
August 15th - 190.4

Waist: 41.25" to 39.5"

I realized that I probably would not have made the progress I have if I did not have friends here and participate in Challenges.

Quick Poll:

1. Do Friends Make a difference? - None, Very Little, Some, Often, Definitely - Couldn't have done it without friends
2. PEER pressure - Have you stopped yourself from going into the "RED" because you knew you would have to report it? Y/N - Anecdote
3. How many challenges/groups have you been involved in: # and details if you want
4. What Lessons have you learned here?
5. Do you like the general forums and what is your impression of them?

OK.. I'll Start

1. Definitely - Couldn't have done it without friends -
My MFP friends are "golden" and they have really been a "lifeline" for me because I can't talk about all this health and fitness to the real world - (frankly I would drive them crazy). Plus we support each other emotionally!

2. PEER Pressure - For sure! The only thing that stopped me sometimes was PEER pressure (positive by the way)

3. Challenges/groups - I have been in many challenges and I am active in 4-5 right now: MYAC, Keeping it Green, Three Things, Push Ups, and Core. I thank everyone who runs/maintains these challenges. This is the best place to find really good MFP friends.

4. What Lessons Have I learned Here?

1. Get a digital scale and learn to weigh and measure carefully.
2. Don't over estimate calorie burns
3. Buy and learn to use a good HRM - I learned not to "average" HR on non steady-state cardio.
4. The Fitbit is a great tool
5. Before writing something "snarky" to a "derp ridden" post, try to put yourself in the OP's shoes. (not always successful)
6. There all sorts of people here... celebrate the differences. Don't get too emotional
7. Try different workouts.. variety is everything.
8. Lifting is good!

I like the general forums. I sometimes go for positive reinforcement and read success stories. Sometimes I am drawn to the the train wrecks that happen here (I am not proud, but it is like reality TV), I learn about real people and real struggles. Plus, there are some wicked funny, profane, and off the wall people who make me howl. And I really love kitten gifs too!

There has been a lot of controversy about the "meanness" of the forums. I think it is a glass half empty / glass half full outlook. If you go looking for the bad and the negative, you will find it. However, I find many more examples of people trying to sincerely help other people out.. even when they ask Raspberry Ketone questions.

And yes... I actually took Raspberry Ketones for a while in 2013 .... I think I am a "bit" smarter now!

Weigh in! :smile:

Replies

• AtlantaBob
    AtlantaBob Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    snark snark snark snark snark........<<<<<<< Snark Week on TBS
    Snarknado! Coming soon to a theater near you!

:)

YES - the only way I can stay motivated is reading encouraging words from my MFP friends.
    No, I avoid the forums.......they almost always descend into who would do whom and arguments
    Don't need it.

What I DO need is more IIFYM information since my calories are too low and I'm not losing weight.

Thanks for the great post my friend.
  • Chevy_Quest
    Chevy_Quest Posts: 2,012 Member
    Options
    snark snark snark snark snark........<<<<<<< Snark Week on TBS

:)

LOL!
  • Chevy_Quest
    Options
    I hate to bump .. but
  • ReenieReenie05
    ReenieReenie05 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    1.) MFP AMIGOS ARE INDEED GOLDEN!! I realize that we may never meet in person but their ongoing support PUSHES ME TO KEEP GOING on days that I wouldn't have otherwise. GOTTA LOVE THEM!
    2.) PEER PRESSURE? pressure to make the right choices! It's all gooood, I'm into that!
    3.) Currently participating in an Insanity Challenge group (on day 51 of 63) can't wait to GRADUATE FROM THE COURSE! (& get my B.A. (bad *kitten*) Certificate!! hahaha) gotta be certified to be legit hahahaha
    4.) (a-)appropriately calculate caloric burns (b-) I also purchased an HRM which is now my new BESTIE and I use RELIGIOUSLY!! (c-) The friends I have on MFP have truly encouraged me to stay focused and have given me soooo many meal ideas and help with staying on track (when I fall off the wagon the most) on weekends!! (they're seriously like a "free-for-all" to me lol I go nutzz on the weekends)
    5.) Forums- I loove looove looove reading success stories and oogling before/after pixx, I don't spend much time on the forums - Im sure they could be negtive just depends where you're lookin' ... seriously can anyone resist looking at kitten gifs?? (I think it's safe to say we're all guilty of this lol)

LOL @: "snark snark snark snark snark .........<<<<<<<<<< Snark Week on TBS" hahaha
  • Chevy_Quest
    Options
    @MeenieReenie - You ARE Motivating! - This is great! :smile: :drinker:
  • Chevy_Quest
    Options
    bump
  • AtlantaBob
    AtlantaBob Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    "bumpity bump, my life for you"

-trash can man
  • Llamapants86
    Llamapants86 Posts: 1,221 Member
    Options
    1. Do Friends Make a difference? Often, I get a lot of information and some determination from my friends here. I like to think that most of my motivation is internal, but there are some days that I really appreciate their little extra push.
    2. PEER pressure - Have you stopped yourself from going into the "RED" because you knew you would have to report it? Yes- It won't always stop me but sometimes it will help me make things not quite as bad
    3. How many challenges/groups have you been involved in: not very many, and the couple I have been in have been pretty short lived
    Eat less than you burn and enjoy the process
    I like the forums. Great source of entertainment on slow work days.
  • ReenieReenie05
    ReenieReenie05 Posts: 24 Member
    Options

I like the forums. Great source of entertainment on slow work days.

Haha totally agree Llamapants!!
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    Quick Poll:

1. Do Friends Make a difference? - None, Very Little, Some, Often, Definitely - Couldn't have done it without friends
    ~Yes they do...I could have done it without "friends" here but they made it more fun.

2. PEER pressure - Have you stopped yourself from going into the "RED" because you knew you would have to report it? Y/N - Anecdote
    ~No...mainly because life happens and everyone knows it.

3. How many challenges/groups have you been involved in: # and details if you want
    ~1 that's why I joined...there was a 30DS group here I joined...still friends with some of them.

~too many...like I can eat chocolate every night, don't take stuff personally on the WWW and Disagree=bully

~Yes, I find them educational, entertaining, exasperating sometimes...but all in all it's a good time.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options

-trash can man

AMG I just watched that on netflix this weekend...love that movie..a bit corny now but love it.
  • ukaryote
    ukaryote Posts: 874 Member
    Options
    1. Do Friends Make a difference? -Definitely - Couldn't have done it without motivational friends

2. PEER pressure - Works! Joined a challenge group to log every day.

3. One challenge - Ultimate Accountability (by month) - exercise 20 min each day. Record every food. Stay under calorie limit. Or leave the group!

- Consistency in logging makes a big difference. Huge.
    - I am surprised how helpful is the "Friend" motivations.

5. Do you like the general forums and what is your impression of them? Good forums.
    - Like all forums, the questions get repeated and the answers are repeated even more.
    - Really, after 15 posts the OP is not gonna read it.
  • Chevy_Quest
    Options
    @AB
    @Meenie
    @Llamapants86
    @SexyStef
    @ukaryote

Thanks for the replies - The entertainment is sometimes the only thing that keeps me logging regularly! :drinker:
  • Chevy_Quest
    Options

-trash can man

gotta love Stephen king!