Loosening up hips/ back exercises?

Options
One of my reasons for losing weight was to rid myself of hip pains. Nearly 10 kg down and I have much less (almost no)pain. I am, however, still very stiff.

After sitting for a while, on standing I am really stiff and do that limping thing for a few steps before loosening up. I am too young for that (35!).

Can you suggest anything I can do to help? I've always been slightly inflexible, but never this bad. I can't afford to be paying for things like yoga etc.

Thanks

Replies

• KarenJanine
    KarenJanine Posts: 3,497 Member
    Options
    Do you spend a lot of your day sitting, e.g. desk job? This article has some useful tips and stretches that can be done to help: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/16-tips-for-desk-jockeys-what-to-do-about-sitting-all-day/#axzz3Aw1Dqqds
  • Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,209 Member
    Options
    As simple as it sounds - stand more and walk more. Keeping active maintains mobility.

If you must sit for long periods, stretch your hip flexor muscles hourly. Here is how:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YQmpO9VT2X4
  • spickard34
    spickard34 Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    Utube Tara Stiles Yoga it is great for hip pain most beginner videos are 10 mins.
  • RaeLB
    RaeLB Posts: 1,216 Member
    Options
  • Sam_I_Am77
    Sam_I_Am77 Posts: 2,093 Member
    Options
    Go watch Joe DeFranco's "Limber 11" and "Simple 6" on YouTube. All you need is a lacrosse ball, foam roller, and an exercise band. They are two very good mobility and stretching routines that you should use daily. When you put the 2 together it's actually a decent low-impact 20-minute exercise session focusing on improving your mobility. Wake up 30-minutes earlier than you normally would and do these routines. Definitely do them before exercise.
  • Wildstorms
    Wildstorms Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    Thank you! I'll look into these. I'm either very active, or not... Those times I am desk bound, I can't really change it. :-)
  • Sam_I_Am77
    Sam_I_Am77 Posts: 2,093 Member
    Options
    Thank you! I'll look into these. I'm either very active, or not... Those times I am desk bound, I can't really change it. :-)

Yeah, definitely look into these. The other issue that presents itself with desk work is your shoulders (traps specifically) and neck. The Simple 6 has some good exercises to help improve your upper back and shoulder mobility. Definitely do both every day before work.