Not enough calories, Way over on protein and sodium

Options
10emskh.jpg

So, I'm trying to plan out my days ahead of time.... I always feel full, except for maybe breakfast. I eat 5 "meals" per day.

I know I need more calories. Don't coach me on the 1200 calories not being enough. I know all of that business. I'm trying to get AT LEAST 1250, but I find it difficult.

So issue #1: How do I get more healthy calories in my diet? I eat a lot of lean protein, veggies, etc. Do I really just need to eat a CRAP TON of vegetables?

Issue #2: I'm always WAY over on my protein. Is this a problem? It's always lean protein. Once or twice a week, I will eat a lean cut of sirloin, otherwise it's chicken breast, salmon, shrimp or turkey. I lift at least 3x/week on top of my cardio at least 5x/week.

Issue #3: My sodium is always a good chunk over what I'm allotted. I drink at MINIMUM 75 ounces of water every day. Most days, it's around 90-100 ounces.

I'm female, 191lbs, 5'8. I am not fat, really. I was healthy at 154 two years ago. I was slender with small love handles still, so by no means was I underweight. I just have a lot more fat on me now, but I carry it fairly well.

Can you guys give me some insight?

Replies

• YorriaRaine
    YorriaRaine Posts: 370 Member
    Options
    Don't really need to keep track of sodium unless you have a medical need to. In terms of getting some quick calories in, cheese and coconut oil are great ways. Coconut oil is supposedly really good for you and a little bit willl get some quick calories. Could cook it into things, mix it in with dressing and whatnot. The coconut flavor doesn't really take over the taste of things in my opinion.

Treat yourself to something nice like frozen yogurt/icecream or something. <3

Can make homeade sherbert by blending a bunch of frozen fruit together with a wee bit of water or juice.

Getting more than listed protein is NEVER a problem. Myfitnesspal is a min, not a max, same thing applies to fat.
  • acheben
    acheben Posts: 476 Member
    Options
    If you're having a hard time meeting your calorie goal, try switching to full fat yogurt and eating whole eggs instead of egg whites. You'll still get the same protein, but higher fat and calories. Also, instead of buying the prepared shrimp (I'm guessing because of the high sodium count), buy fresh or frozen raw shrimp. That way you control the sodium.
  • daniellerusbult2
    daniellerusbult2 Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    If you're having a hard time meeting your calorie goal, try switching to full fat yogurt and eating whole eggs instead of egg whites. You'll still get the same protein, but higher fat and calories. Also, instead of buying the prepared shrimp (I'm guessing because of the high sodium count), buy fresh or frozen raw shrimp. That way you control the sodium.

I actually do buy the raw frozen shrimp... did I not choose the right one? LOL I do that sometimes.

I was eating whole eggs, but I was trying to keep my fat count at bay... Maybe it isn't such a big deal.
  • daniellerusbult2
    Options
    Don't really need to keep track of sodium unless you have a medical need to. In terms of getting some quick calories in, cheese and coconut oil are great ways. Coconut oil is supposedly really good for you and a little bit willl get some quick calories. Could cook it into things, mix it in with dressing and whatnot. The coconut flavor doesn't really take over the taste of things in my opinion.

Treat yourself to something nice like frozen yogurt/icecream or something. <3

Can make homeade sherbert by blending a bunch of frozen fruit together with a wee bit of water or juice.

Getting more than listed protein is NEVER a problem. Myfitnesspal is a min, not a max, same thing applies to fat.

I LOVE cheese :) I just didn't want to incorporate too much processed (except for certain spices, milk and yogurt) into this dietary plan. I haven't tried coconut oil because I'm afraid! lol Maybe I could try it...

Frozen yogurt may come ONCE a week... maybe. And I'd love the sherbert idea, but I don't want so much sugar from fruit, as I eat enough fruit as it is lol!

Thank you for the insight! I always wonder about this stuff...
  • bellaa_x0
    bellaa_x0 Posts: 1,062 Member
    Options
    10emskh.jpg

So, I'm trying to plan out my days ahead of time.... I always feel full, except for maybe breakfast. I eat 5 "meals" per day.

I know I need more calories. Don't coach me on the 1200 calories not being enough. I know all of that business. I'm trying to get AT LEAST 1250, but I find it difficult.

So issue #1: How do I get more healthy calories in my diet? I eat a lot of lean protein, veggies, etc. Do I really just need to eat a CRAP TON of vegetables?

Issue #2: I'm always WAY over on my protein. Is this a problem? It's always lean protein. Once or twice a week, I will eat a lean cut of sirloin, otherwise it's chicken breast, salmon, shrimp or turkey. I lift at least 3x/week on top of my cardio at least 5x/week.

Issue #3: My sodium is always a good chunk over what I'm allotted. I drink at MINIMUM 75 ounces of water every day. Most days, it's around 90-100 ounces.

I'm female, 191lbs, 5'8. I am not fat, really. I was healthy at 154 two years ago. I was slender with small love handles still, so by no means was I underweight. I just have a lot more fat on me now, but I carry it fairly well.

Can you guys give me some insight?

at 191lbs you should be getting way more than 63g of protein a day anyway.. ideally you want 1g of protein per 1lb of lean body mass
  • ChunkLaFunk
    ChunkLaFunk Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    #1: Seems like your low on carbs. Some choices for increasing carb calories: yams/sweet potatoes. grains: brown rice, quinoa, barley, freekah (my fave!). legumes: beans, lentils. Canned beans can be high in sodium so look for low sodium.

#2: Your protein level isn't high. It only seems high because your daily calorie total is so low. No need to reduce protein.

#3 Sodium is important if you're sedentary or you're hypertensive. You're have a good fitness program so sodium shouldn't build up in your body. It could make you hold some extra water weight so be aware of that.
  • acheben
    acheben Posts: 476 Member
    Options
    I actually do buy the raw frozen shrimp... did I not choose the right one? LOL I do that sometimes.

I was eating whole eggs, but I was trying to keep my fat count at bay... Maybe it isn't such a big deal.

According to the usda database, raw shrimp only has 119mg of sodium per 100g. http://ndb.nal.usda.gov/ndb/foods
  • daniellerusbult2
    Options
    #1: Seems like your low on carbs. Some choices for increasing carb calories: yams/sweet potatoes. grains: brown rice, quinoa, barley, freekah (my fave!). legumes: beans, lentils. Canned beans can be high in sodium so look for low sodium.

#2: Your protein level isn't high. It only seems high because your daily calorie total is so low. No need to reduce protein.

#3 Sodium is important if you're sedentary or you're hypertensive. You're have a good fitness program so sodium shouldn't build up in your body. It could make you hold some extra water weight so be aware of that.

Actually, I have quinoa, but I have NO clue how to cook it! Just want some simple quinoa with some sort of flavor... Not like an entire dish based around quinoa. Any suggestions?

Thanks for your insight on the other issues! Maybe I shouldn't be worried so much about those two...
  • daniellerusbult2
    Options

According to the usda database, raw shrimp only has 119mg of sodium per 100g. http://ndb.nal.usda.gov/ndb/foods

No, I meant did I not choose the right one when entering it into MFP. All I buy is the raw frozen shrimp... never prepared :) Thank you for your help!
  • fernlori
    fernlori Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Do you have an iPhone? ( not sure oif you can do this on an andriod) Did you scan the barcode? I find that to be mroe realiable than just guessing which product is the correct one