Fitness Goal - Half Marathon

Options
Hey guys! Just wondering if any of you have fitness goals going on?

I just signed up for the Vancouver Half Marathon May 1, 2011 in Vancouver BC. 21.2 Km course ...

I got the training schedule here

http://www.runnersworld.com/article/0,7120,s6-238-244--6851-2-2X5X8-4,00.html

Just need to convert the miiles to Km's and I'll start Sunday! While still trying to do P90X ...

I've been a runner since 2002, have run at least a dozen 5 - 10 ks ... and did 13.5 K last summer in 1 hr 4 mins. So I think this will be my next step. I haven't been running since September. so starting to train now ...

Replies

• jessmsu81
    Options
    GOOD LUCK!!!!!!!
    I am running my first half marathon on February 27th in Orlando, FL.
    I am not a runner, so this will be a huge accomplishment for me... I'm up to 8.3 miles in my training... tomorrow I'll try for 9.
    I'm training with run/walk intervals, so I hope that will help me finish without my life flashing before my eyes ;-)
    If you have any running tips, feel free to share!
  • AggieCass09
    AggieCass09 Posts: 1,867 Member
    Options
    I do p90x and half marathon training with yoga and spinning too! Good luck with you marathon...it is such a fun race :-) Add me as a friend, I'd love to keep updated with your progress...my next half marathon is 8 days away and i'm so excited!
  • kac7700
    kac7700 Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    I'm too chicken to try a half, but all this inspriation is making me think I should buck up and consider it! Thought I'd aim for a 10-mile this fall (if I can get in) and go from there.

Way to go everyone!
  • Serenifly
    Serenifly Posts: 669 Member
    Options
    GOOD LUCK!!!!!!!
    I am not a runner, so this will be a huge accomplishment for me... I'm up to 8.3 miles in my training... tomorrow I'll try for 9.
    I'm training with run/walk intervals, so I hope that will help me finish without my life flashing before my eyes ;-)

My best running tip is in my sig! haha
  • Serenifly
    Options
    I do p90x and half marathon training with yoga and spinning too! Good luck with you marathon...it is such a fun race :-) Add me as a friend, I'd love to keep updated with your progress...my next half marathon is 8 days away and i'm so excited!

I don't do yoga or spinning anymore. Spinning was cancelled and Yoga wanted to charge 80$ a week! haha just P90X and running now ... (though there is a Yoga DVD on P90X)

It's good I get 3 non-running days a week, 1 which is a total rest day from both P90X and running. And I'm not finding P90X that hard. I do it before work mostly, and usualy in the night try to swim, hulahoop or something active anyways, why not run right! lol

Also from work to home is 10 K ... good way to get training in :)

Good luck with your Marathon!
  • lmackey01
    Options
    I am training for my sixth half marathon right now. My favorite plan to use is Hal Higdon's. Google him. He has novice, intermediate, and advance plans. I have had great success with them!! I never follow a plan to a T, but I modify it according to my needs. For example, it has me running 4 days a week, but I am injury prone and have shin splints (looks like you do too!) so I only run 3 days a week and substitue cross training, like spin class or elliptical. Don't forget strength training. More powerful legs will make you run faster! Good luck!!
  • Tuckersn
    Tuckersn Posts: 149
    Options
    Shooting for the Eugene, Oregon half marathon in May. Also using RunnersWorld.com's running plan. I really like it so far! Best of luck on your training and your race!
  • kicklikeaGIRL
    kicklikeaGIRL Posts: 867 Member
    Options
    Way to go!! Running a half marathon is an awesome fitness goal and you will feel INCREDIBLY accomplished!

I ran my first half marathon last summer...and it felt sooo awesome that I immediately signed up for another one that was 3 weeks after.

This summer I've signed myself up for 4 Half Marathons......and hopefully run a Full marathon either in the Fall or next summer. (I'm still too chicken to try the full marathon!)

It feels amazing! It CAN be accomplished!
  • sweetheart03622
    sweetheart03622 Posts: 928 Member
    Options
    Bumping this for later... life goal is to run a marathon!
  • Serenifly
    Options
    Wow 6 half-marathons! Amazing ! Share any tips people tips here! I'm very excited. When I did my 13 K I felt like I coulld have gone longer, and it was entirely up hill, still did it in less than an hour 10 ...
  • Serenifly
    Options
    oops not working haha 99 days to train!
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    Good luck!
    I did my 1st half last year and plan to do my first full this May.
  • jheller
    jheller Posts: 194
    Options
    Good for you! My goal is a sprint triathlon this June and hopefully a few 5K's, cycling events, and maybe another tri by summer's end!
  • kicklikeaGIRL
    kicklikeaGIRL Posts: 867 Member
    Options
    When I started training I kind of went by Jeff Galloway's half marathon training schedule. I only really used his schedule to see how much I should be increasing my distance each week. My schedule looked similar to this:

Mon- Timed 3 mile run. Ran my 3 miles as fast as I could. OR speed running at the track (Run 1 mile at sprinting speed,
    Tues- cross training
    Wed--4-7 mile run with hills
    Thurs- cross training
    Fri-rest day
    Saturday---long run day!
    Sunday- yoga/pilates/walk/stretch

On my Saturday "long run day" I was increasing my mileage every other week. So...say I was up to 8 miles this is what it would look like:

Saturday: 8 miles
    Next Saturday: 4 miles
    Saturday: 9 miles
    Next Saturday 4.5 miles
    Saturday: 10 miles
    Next Saturday: 5 miles
    etc...etc...

For me this worked because I did NOT want to injure myself, and especially my knees. And this gave my body enough time to recover. (Use lots of ice and massage your muscles after. Many people buy rollers, but I just use a softball and get on the floor and roll my legs over top... its cheaper. haha!) I also had a lot of time to prepare for my race. I started training in May and my first race was in August.

I'm not an expert...but thats what helped me to run my first 2 races. ALWAYS make sure to stretch afterwards. Sometimes you'll need an ice bath. As much as it kills and doesn't feel so good at first, you're body will love you for it.

Add me as a friend....I'd love to help in any way I can!
  • sandy4720
    sandy4720 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Me too! It is very exciting, but unfortunately it is not helping my weight loss goals!
  • sandy4720
    sandy4720 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    GOOD LUCK!!!!!!!

Me too! Unfortunately, all this running is not helping me meet my weight loss goals! Good luck to you! I hit the 8 mile mark last week too. I'm doing the run/walk thing. I do 3 minutes running and 1 minute walking. My tip is to carry gatorade with you so you don't pass out.

Four weeks left!
  • HollyMac20
    HollyMac20 Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    I have my first half marathon in my site for July 2011, with a 15K in May. My running just clicked this year and looking forward spring to get back outside again. (It is -15F today...not exactly running weather)

Right now I am training with kickboxing classes, P90X strength training and TurboFire. Usually 4-5 days a week.
  • Serenifly
    Options
    Thanks guys! Kicklikeagirl those are great tips!

I'm happy to report I've inspired my dad and he'll be doing the 8K version of the Marathon the same day!

I got him running 5 years ago, he usually does 5 K 3 or 4 times a week ... So it's a good goal for him! :) He's 53! I'm so proud!
  • jessmsu81
    Options
    Me too! Unfortunately, all this running is not helping me meet my weight loss goals! Good luck to you! I hit the 8 mile mark last week too. I'm doing the run/walk thing. I do 3 minutes running and 1 minute walking. My tip is to carry gatorade with you so you don't pass out.

Four weeks left!

That is how I'm training too - with intervals! I run 2, walk 1! I'm glad someone else does it that way too... I could probably up my run intervals, but that's for another day, right now, I just want to make it through the half without dying, hahaha :) 4 weeks left! I may have missed this but when/where is your race?
  • bdavenport62
    Options
    I ran my half March of '08 and found out I was pregnant the next day so I have been out of the running game for awhile. I went from nothing to a half in a year by doing couch 2 5K and I just gradually kept adding in miles. I think I finished in a respectable time 2:16. Those that are going for it my only tip that really helped me was on the big day I didn't bring my zune or HRM. I just ran and it felt so good to hear and see all those people that were cheering me on. It really helped to make for such a rewarding experience.