Any other super morbidly obese members?

Options
I'm not new to MFP (I was active about a year ago, but fell off track) or trying to lose weight, but it's finally to the point where I have to seriously do something about it or I will be dead sooner, rather than later.

I've been heavy on and off throughout my entire life, but never as badly as this. I was 190 pounds in January 2001 and by March of 2001 I had shot up to 340 pounds (that's right, 140 pounds in three months!) and it's only gotten worse (I would give anything to be 340 pounds right now). I now have more weight to lose than most people weigh at their heaviest! I am a diagnosed compulsive overeater and I don't have a switch that tells me I'm full, so that's why it was so easy for me to gain so much in such a short time. Luckily I haven't binged since 2009, but I still have major issues overeating (which would probably be considered bingeing by most *normal* peoples standards, but I know what my binges are like and I haven't had one of those in a long, long time).

In 2004 my doctor at the time told me that surgery was going to be the only thing that would help me. I didn't want to hear that and I think it actually worked against me, as I only got bigger. I have since been told this again, but I need to lose 200+ pounds before they'll even consider doing surgery on me. So I figure if I can lose that much on my own, I can continue to lose the rest of the weight I need to lose on my own.

In 2006 I reached what I thought would be my highest weight ever and that is when I decided that I had to do something serious. Throughout my life I tried every diet and fat diet under the sun (most from a very young age) and nothing seemed to work for me until I tried Nutrisystem. I lost 100 pounds in my first three months on the program and went on to lose over 200 pounds in 1.5 years (even if I was only halfway to goal). Then I fell back into my bingeing habits and fought the up and down game, only to gain all my weight back.

Since 2009 I've lost and regained the same 150 pounds over and over. As quickly as I can take it off, I can put it back on (even without bingeing like I used, just by merely overeating). I'm now 105 pounds heavier than my heaviest weight in 2006!!! Like I said, I've been given some serious, sobering news about my weight, so I am back and focused more than ever. I'm really good at losing and gaining, horrible at keeping it off and that's what I need to work on now.

I'd love to know that there are others out there who have more than 200 pounds to lose (I personally have 510 pounds to lose!), but I will take all the motivation, inspiration, and support I can get, as this is going to be a long journey for me.

Replies

• WW_Jude_V2
    WW_Jude_V2 Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    Hi there! I read your post and immediately remembered one I'd just read yesterday.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1366510-how-can-someone-get-to-538lbs

This gentleman has an amazing story.....perhaps you can find some inspiration here?

I'm a recovered anorexic who boomeranged her way into binge/purge mode for decades (I consider myself mostly recovered) so I think I may have a sense of your mind set when binging. I still need to be careful as I can binge tens of thousands of calories in a couple of days without warning.

I'm sure you're feeling pretty overwhelmed but MFP is a place to get some support as well as some tough love. I didn't enjoy the tough love part at first but I soon realized it was coming from a place of care and concern and was able to accept it more readily.

You can do this! :flowerforyou:
  • weyantbrandi
    Options
    Hello, I myself weight 445 and am looking to get down to about 180, so I have 265 lbs to lose. I know it can be difficult as I am only beginning myself, but please feel free to add me and look me up on facebook. My name is Brandi Weyant. :)
  • Courtney24107
    Options
    Youtube.com/shayloss helped me a TON! If you check out older videos of him, he was super large! and then in about a year, he dropped it all and documented it on camera. He is an amazing inspiration so I'd say check out his older videos! Feel free to add! :)
  • Sunitagt
    Sunitagt Posts: 486 Member
    Options
    You can definitely do this! There are plenty of people on here with a lot of weight to lose. Just start simple by logging your food every day, all the time. Measure with a per-gram food scale, and track your food. Maybe get a pedometer and try to walk a little more often. I've lost 82 lbs in the last year, and I haven't been as aggressive as a lot of people, so I haven't lost it as quickly as I could. You can do it! You just have to commit.
  • thegreatcanook
    thegreatcanook Posts: 2,419 Member
    Options
    Feel free to add me...I think I can encourage you!
  • maria8less
    Options
    Hey! I'd love to email /message about this. Its difficult for me to turn to family or friends... Talking to someone with 30 pounds to lose really isn't helpful to me. I could lose 250 pounds. I'm finding myself getting overwhelmed by the MOUNTAIN in front me... (not just my stomach, a metaphorical mountain:). ) I would love to email or message with someone regularly for support. Thanks for the post. - Maria
  • LeonXC
    LeonXC Posts: 68
    Options
    I can relate to everyone here. The term "super morbidly obese" is horrible but it really does describe me. I also need to lose 200+ pounds. I also have yo-yoed for all of my life. But I won't give up trying. I just signed up yesterday and really hope MFP and all there is to offer here will help us all.
  • manderthegreat
    manderthegreat Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Yes! Glad there are others. I am currently at 358. I started two years ago at 378 and lost down to 293. I was very proud of those 85 pounds gone! but like always went back to old ways and the weight crept back up to 370. I started again a couple of weeks ago and have lost 12 pounds. Ready to do this again!! Would love other friends that are on the same path!
  • fastfoodietofitcutie
    fastfoodietofitcutie Posts: 523 Member
    Options
    It's so darn hard to lose weight! The good news is you have done it before so you already know the right things to do. I think the best advice I have is to just back on track when you have a bad day. I was doing well for a few months and had a complete food fest for 4 days. I was so mad, I gained 10 lbs! I'm mad at myself because it's going to take me a few weeks to get back to where I was but it's going to happen. We're not perfect and you are going to have bad days. As long as the good outweigh the bad, it will work. Feel free to add me.
  • wheird
    wheird Posts: 7,963 Member
    Options
    I'm technically considered such. But I don't have much trouble as long as I'm sticking with things properly. Weighing my food, preparing meals for lunch and dinner or just eating out at places I can get calorie counts from, and maintaining my deficit through diligent logging.
  • nicsflyingcircus
    nicsflyingcircus Posts: 2,514 Member
    Options
    You can do this! While not as dire as you, I crept up to 375lbs. In the past, between kids 3 and 4 (they are 9 and nearly 11 now) I lost from 285 to 220 and was actually about 215 briefly after my 4th was born. Sadly, I boomeranged back up and then some.

Now for the good news: I've lost 63.9lbs in 4 months, solely by moderating my diet and educating myself. I have a long way to go yet, but the 200's are in realistic sight and I really think it will work this time. I plan to start getting more active and hopefully starting weight training in the not too distant future.

Good luck to you. If you truly are ready, you can do this!
  • sutschek111
    Options
    I wish you all the luck in the world!! I know you can do this and through your journey you will be able to learn to maintain your weight. I started Sunday so I am very new to this. I have 100 pounds to lose. I can be your support, friend, shoulder to cry on. Whatever you need. :smile:
  • Grizzly32
    Options
    I started at 465 and I have about 300 pounds to lose yet. Feel free to add me.
  • AdieEve
    AdieEve Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    OP--You can do this! There are many wonderful people here, unlike the above poster, and they would love to help you on your journey! Out of curiosity, do you have access to counseling? It can be a tremendous resource, not just with identifying what has led you down this path, but also by empowering you to forge a new path. Best of luck to you, and I'm sending good vibes your way!
  • SuperVixen2B
    SuperVixen2B Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    Hi there! I fell in to the "morbidly obese" category of the BMI chart not too long ago, so I feel your pain. It's been like scaling a mountain. Sometimes you find the hand and foot holds easily and it almost feels effortless, but inevitably, you reach a point where you can't find the next step and you feel stuck, or your footing crumbles beneath you and you slip, everyone always slips, and every inch of distance lost feels like a mile. Sometimes it feels insurmountable. The more times you slip, the more skinned up your knees get, the more bloodied your fingertips. You have to remember, as long as you're clinging to that mountain, as long as you are struggling and working, you're so much farther than if you'd never given it a go. Just, hang in. Slipping a little will happen, just don't let that slip turn into a fall. And, if you want it bad enough, if you're willing to focus and keep moving, eventually, you'll find yourself at the top of that mountain, looking down, feeling effing glorious. It really is an amazing feeling and so very worth the struggle. And there are a lot of people here, and probably in your real life, willing to lend you a hand along the way. Just keep climbing!

See you at the top! :drinker:
  • swkwac
    swkwac Posts: 6
    Options
    Glad to see you back! While I'm not morbidly obese, I can really relate in the sense that I can loose quickly but gain quickly too! Kinda a plus negative huh?! I was wondering if you have sought help with the binging and overeating and addressed the underlying issues on why you do overeat? Is there something in place for you currently In That regard? Besides doctors?
    Happy to see that your taking a step forward in "getting back on track"
  • marvalous123
    marvalous123 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I am morbidly obese. I have 91lbs to lose. Also, I am a new member again lol. Maybe we could be fitness friends. I am a great encourager to other people but not myself. See you at the top.
  • marvalous123
    marvalous123 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Hi all! I am morbidly obese. It so awful to say it but It is reality. I have always had a problem with my weight my whole life but I have been morbidly obese for the last 21 years. I want my life back! Any help and encouragement out there would be greatly appreciated. I am going to try my fitness pal again. I think it is the best tool out there! Well here I go, 91 more lbs to lose. I lost the 37 lbs a few years ago and keep going up and down.
  • homerismyhero
    homerismyhero Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    Good luck, and take good care of yourself- do this for yourself, you're important and worth the effort it will take to achieve your goals. I was very obese- 5'7" and 325lbs I had VGS and am down about 90lbs- which makes a huge difference in my life- I'm still obese, but its so much easier to excercise and portion control now- and I feel so much better.