Cramps & Potassium

Options
Today in the middle of my water aerobics class I got a *** cramp in my calf. I tried to power through it in hopes that it would go away but it only got worse and after 15 minutes I limped my way out of the pool and stuck it in the jacuzzi. That didn't soothe it enough for me to jump back into class so I decided to go home. First I stopped in the lobby to talk to a trainer about what I should do for my calf. She showed my how to massage it and then suggested that I'm not drinking enough water or getting enough potassium in my diet.

Do you ever get cramps? How do you make them go away and then how do you prevent yourself from getting them again?

Also I hate bananas so are there other high potassium foods out there?

Replies

• IamOnMywayNow
    IamOnMywayNow Posts: 470 Member
    Options
    Try coconut water. It has lots of potassium and it is yummy:)
  • WillLift4Tats
    WillLift4Tats Posts: 1,699 Member
    Options
    1. Coconut water is gross! :tongue:

2. http://lmgtfy.com/?q=high+potassium+foods
  • dinobunni
    Options
    1. Coconut water is gross! :tongue:

2. http://lmgtfy.com/?q=high+potassium+foods

Thanks for that.
  • ekat120
    ekat120 Posts: 407 Member
    Options
    I got a bad cramp a while ago and did some research, and there's actually no evidence that dehydration or electrolyte depletion has anything to do with muscle cramps. Researchers don't really know exactly what causes them, but the most likely suspect is exerting yourself beyond your current fitness level.

Here's one example: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/23222192
  • Cuillin09
    Options
    Had cramps on and off all my life in my calf muscles ... both when very fit and recently rather less so. I've tried salt drinks, bananas, water ... I think the only observation I can come up with is that they seem to occur rather sooner when I've been less fit.

So... my experience is eat healthily, build the fitness and the cramps will kick-in less quickly - which is probably no surprise whatsoever... but then I've just tried to read the example cited on that link and rather suspect someone has a PhD based on a conclusion that was about as helpful!

Oh yes ... other top tip, my experience is if you feel the onset of cramp ease right off the exercise but don't stop! ... wind down very gently eg if you're running slow to a gentle walk. If I try to push through the cramp is far worse and the effects can last for days.

Hope this is of help
  • aeb09
    aeb09 Posts: 424 Member
    Options
    Was experiencing horrible leg cramps at night from keto and low potassium. I now make my own Gatorade that I drink 2x a day (one at breakfast, one at dinner). 16oz of water, 1 packet of Crystal Light To Go, 3/4tsp of Potassium Chloride (the brand I use is Now). I also take a 500mg magnesium supplement at dinner. I've been doing this for about 5 weeks now and have not had a cramp since.
  • bandit5125
    bandit5125 Posts: 491 Member
    Options
    could also be a low magnesium issue. I had throbbing leg cramps, not really Charlie horses and it was low magnesium.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    Today in the middle of my water aerobics class I got a *** cramp in my calf. I tried to power through it in hopes that it would go away but it only got worse and after 15 minutes I limped my way out of the pool and stuck it in the jacuzzi. That didn't soothe it enough for me to jump back into class so I decided to go home. First I stopped in the lobby to talk to a trainer about what I should do for my calf. She showed my how to massage it and then suggested that I'm not drinking enough water or getting enough potassium in my diet.

Do you ever get cramps? How do you make them go away and then how do you prevent yourself from getting them again?

Also I hate bananas so are there other high potassium foods out there?

Yes it has happened to me...esp when I was growing...I know I know ...happens to all kids who are growing but because it happened since I was an adult I checked into foods rich with potassium...

Bananas aren't that great...imagine...and remember it is not mandatory to list it on the nutrional values so you will always see it under reported on your diary here.

•Winter squash, cubed, 1 cup, cooked: 896 mg
    •Sweet potato, medium, baked with skin: 694 mg
    •Potato, medium, baked with skin: 610 mg
    •White beans, canned, drained, half cup: 595 mg
    •Yogurt, fat-free, 1 cup: 579 mg
    •Halibut, 3 ounces, cooked: 490 mg
    •100% orange juice, 8 ounces: 496 mg
    •Broccoli, 1 cup, cooked: 457 mg
    •Cantaloupe, cubed, 1 cup: 431 mg
    •Banana, 1 medium: 422 mg
    •Pork tenderloin, 3 ounces, cooked: 382 mg
    •Lentils, half cup, cooked: 366 mg
    •Milk, 1% low fat, 8 ounces: 366 mg
    •Salmon, farmed Atlantic, 3 ounces, cooked: 326 mg
    •Pistachios, shelled, 1 ounce, dry roasted: 295 mg
    •Raisins, quarter cup: 250 mg
    •Chicken breast, 3 ounces, cooked: 218 mg
    •Tuna, light, canned, drained, 3 ounces: 201 mg

http://www.healthaliciousness.com/articles/food-sources-of-potassium.php
    http://www.health.gov/dietaryguidelines/dga2005/document/html/appendixb.htm
  • Snip8241
    Snip8241 Posts: 767 Member
    Options
    Ok this may be off the wall. When my son played football in 90 degree weather they drank pickle juice. Yea I know. Pickle juice.
    The guys that did not drink it ended up laying there like they'd been shot.
    Eight years, two championships later he still drank some before practice and games.
    Just saying......
  • MrsMizart
    MrsMizart Posts: 1,275 Member
    Options
    I get it in my foot and calf.

Since taking magnesium and making sure I get the right amount of salt, the attacks are much less frequent.
  • joanthemom8
    joanthemom8 Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    I have noticed that when I eat a banana a day, I do not get cramps. When I go awhile without eating bananas, the cramps (charlie horses, toe-curling sometimes) come back.
  • sculli123
    sculli123 Posts: 1,221 Member
    Options
    I get them when I am dehyrated sometimes. This is pretty rare but it happened to me about 6 weeks ago and caused an injury even. I had gotten dehydrated to make weigh in for a powerlifting competition and wasn't fully rehydrated by the time I had to lift. I ended up cramping while lowering the weight on a bench press and it caused a muscle or tendon to over stretch basically. It's just now finally healed over a month later.
  • wendy0210
    wendy0210 Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    I second the magnesium and dehydration suggestions. I can get horrible cramps in my toes and calves if I'm low in magnesium (and to a lesser extent, potassium). I've found a basic over the counter supplement (Magnesium Oxide, 250 mg, although there are other forms out there that are absorbed much more quickly and completely) and find taking one to two of them a few times a week helps a lot.

Good luck! Oh, and stretching the muscle and some light walking helps a lot too (even though it's agonizing at the time)...
  • snowflake930
    snowflake930 Posts: 2,188 Member
    Options
    Coincidentally, a coworker was just talking about having one last night. Another coworker said her doctor said to put a bar of soap(opened) at the foot of the bed under the fitted sheet. She says it really works?! I don't know, sounds kind of ridiculous right?

My personal experience has been, as others have said here, they have occurred for me when I have been on my feet a lot during the day. More than normal and not had enough water. Since I have lost a lot of weight, I have noticed I have them a lot less frequently (like almost never), but when they do occur, it almost always is when I have not had enough water, little potassium, and exercised more during the day.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    I get a ton of them. They often wake me up in the middle of the night. Potassium hasn't helped me. More water has, and so has epsom salt soaks and foam rolling.

edited because loltypos-- need more coffee.
  • getitgirl6
    getitgirl6 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I have issues with my potassium staying up, the doctor has told me potatoes are the best bet, that and orange juice, of course ultimately I need a prescribed supplement.
  • stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    Options
    I used to get foot cramps all the time when lifting. They'd always start just prior to my last exercise.

I tried making sure I was hydrated. I tried more potassium. Neither worked.

I tried a Magnesium salt bath (I was also sore so it did double duty) - that kept them away for a day or two.

Finally I thought that maybe I just wasn't eating enough since the lifting was pretty intense. I increased calories 100 per day and they stopped. I've been careful not to drop below that level again and haven't had an issue with cramping since.