How do I find a job?

Options
You all are so helpful sometimes I thought I'd give this a try. I want to look for a new job but other than searching online listings and putting the word out through friends I don't really know where to start.

A little background, I have been working in the air conditioning industry for about 12 years. I have done service dispatch, customer service, and production coordinator (which basically boils down to all paperwork pertaining to new installations, permits, rebates, invoices, job costing,etc...). I have also been in charge of the online and print advertising for the past couple of years.

Here is my problem, I feel like I am stuck in this industry because it is all I have ever known. I believe I could get a similar job at another a/c company or maybe a parts warehouse but I want to do something different. There is no room for growth in this job and I don't want to be doing this forever.

Have you had success moving into a different field without having to start at an entry level position? I'm willing to take a temporary pay cut if necessary but not to a minimum wage level. My income is as critical as my husband's so I can't take an $8 an hour job even if it has potential to lead to a higher paying position in the future.

Any insight on this would be greatly appreciated.

Replies

• saraj9999
    Options
    This may sound like more than you are willing to take on at the moment... I work for a very large company. In order to be able to bid on government jobs with the State, County or Federal govt, we often are required to partner with a minority owned small business. Now, the minority can vary depending on the contract, but woman owned usually qualifies.

In exchange for being our partner, we usually do all of the heavy lifting with purchasing, cash outlay, etc. Our partner just has to do some consulting and advisement within the area of their expertise. Sometimes they have their own employees and we reimburse them for labor plus admin cost, sometimes not. And our parnter gets a share of the profits. 20%-25% is not unusual.

Right now, the plant and residential maintenance field is booming. You could set yourself up as a woman owned small business and hop on the grany train. It would take a bit of research on your part, but there are tons of resources out there with the SBA,etc. to provide you with a job coach, hook you with with lawyers, tax experts, etc. It would be the same industry, but you would be your own boss and make more money. You could always branch out later to construction management, etc. too if you wanted to.

It is something to think about anyway.
  • Fsunami
    Fsunami Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    You all are so helpful sometimes I thought I'd give this a try. I want to look for a new job but other than searching online listings and putting the word out through friends I don't really know where to start.

A little background, I have been working in the air conditioning industry for about 12 years. I have done service dispatch, customer service, and production coordinator (which basically boils down to all paperwork pertaining to new installations, permits, rebates, invoices, job costing,etc...). I have also been in charge of the online and print advertising for the past couple of years.

Here is my problem, I feel like I am stuck in this industry because it is all I have ever known. I believe I could get a similar job at another a/c company or maybe a parts warehouse but I want to do something different. There is no room for growth in this job and I don't want to be doing this forever.

Have you had success moving into a different field without having to start at an entry level position? I'm willing to take a temporary pay cut if necessary but not to a minimum wage level. My income is as critical as my husband's so I can't take an $8 an hour job even if it has potential to lead to a higher paying position in the future.

Sure thing.....

If you are lookng for a change, its similar to what you are doing here. Apply that same process - clearly define a goal, form an action paln to get there, then execute.

Remember that a lot of this (ion both cases) comes from self-confidence....

Specifcally:

1) Know what the financial minumin is you will accept in order to eliminate confustion or your end or an interviewer's

2) To aligh the search effort properly, you have to define what it is that you want to do. It makes the search & the result a lot more foucsed, and less nebulous. That, to me, is the place you need to begin.

The rest of your questions follow once the you know the answers above.

I made a change within my industry about a year ago & applied the methodoldgy, so I beleive it works

Please feel free to message me privately if you want further advice or help

Fsunami
  • digitalbill
    digitalbill Posts: 1,410 Member
    Options

On paper, write down everything that you do. Details help.
    Once that is completed, take out anything that has to do with "Air Conditioning" and put something else in it's place.
    For example, if you say "AC Unit", use "Equipment" instead.
    Instead of a thermostat, it is "supporting hardware"
    And an AC service technition is now a hardware support specalist.

Once you do that, you will see that your skills don't just belong in the AC industry.
  • sunglasses_and_ocean_waves
    Options
    Volunteer in an environment you would love to be ... ie: school, hospital, museum, state park .... gain experience & contacts that way. Your committment need only be small (a few hours/week).
  • beertrollruss
    beertrollruss Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    If you want to change over to a particular industry or company, a good way to network would be to join a Toastmasters group related to that industry or company. The public speaking part is scary for some, but a lot of networking takes place in Toastmasters and I've personally helped someone get a job at a company that a friend worked at.
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,741 Member
    Options

Once that is completed, take out anything that has to do with "Air Conditioning" and put something else in it's place.

Once you do that, you will see that your skills don't just belong in the AC industry.

You received excellent advice here, OP!

I think confidence is key. Don't be intimidated by job postings or interviews in areas you have not worked in previously. Come in to interviews with head held high knowing that you have a wealth of experience and a solid set of skills from your past...but also be sure to keep comparisons (to your current/previous industry) at a minimum. If you were to go into a new field and continually bring up the A/C industry specifically, it could work against you (especially in the preliminary stages). But have confidence that your great skills & experience WILL transfer to other fields, perhaps even more so than you think!

Your background is made up of more than your employment history, too. While it may not always be a selling factor when finding a new position, it can help. For example, I made a move from retail management to quality auditing for a social service organization - I had the NECESSARY qualifications down (bachelor's degree, recordkeeping and management experience) but the preferred qualifications of an RN with experience...nope, that's about as far from my past as you can get. However, I had a little bit of hands-on social service experience in college along with volunteer work and personal knowledge and that seriously helped. My current position is a great fit for me and others who have held it, had accounting experience. My closest experiences in the past were retail store bookkeeping. I'm also in the manufacturing industry now, for the first time in my career, so that's new. I love changing fields and learning a lot of new stuff & building on past experiences.

Just go in knowing that your skills WILL serve you and the company or organization well.

I also agree with the earlier suggestion to decide ahead of time what you want to do and the targeted minimum financial (and benefits) compensation you will accept. Whatever you do, don't make a jump if you feel unsure about the compensation being offered or the stability of the company and so forth. You will most likely be happier waiting to find a more acceptable fit even if that means a bit more time in your current position.
  • kuntry_navySD
    kuntry_navySD Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    join the military
  • _SantaClause
    _SantaClause Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    So you want to move to a completely different field (Great!) but you don't want to start at the bottom?

Idk how that's gonna work..
  • PMA140
    PMA140 Posts: 60
    Options
    So you want to move to a completely different field (Great!) but you don't want to start at the bottom?

Well, it's not like I am going to apply for a job as a chef or a nurse, it will still be an office admin type job. I don't have any specific experience in anything else so I'm not expecting a high level job doing something I am completely unfamiliar with.

I also don't have a BA, which almost every "good" job I have seen lists as a requirement. I do have an AA.
  • PMA140
    Options
    join the military

I think I'm too old for that. :-)
  • _SantaClause
    _SantaClause Posts: 335 Member
    Options

Well, it's not like I am going to apply for a job as a chef or a nurse, it will still be an office admin type job. I don't have any specific experience in anything else so I'm not expecting a high level job doing something I am completely unfamiliar with.

I also don't have a BA, which almost every "good" job I have seen lists as a requirement. I do have an AA.

Go back to school part time?
  • Chevy_Quest
    Chevy_Quest Posts: 2,012 Member
    Options
    ^^ Some great advice here.

People are always looking for good customer service people in every industry.
    For example distribution companies (Grainger, Electric Supply houses, etc.) are always looking for good customer service people who can help with orders etc.

However.. you will have to start at the bottom.

But, if you feel 'trapped" the best way is to take one of those jobs and work part time for a while. Yes, it is a sacrifice.. but it is pulling yourself up the ladder.

Good luck! :smile:
  • jonisteenhoek
    jonisteenhoek Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    You've gotten some great suggestions! I would also recommend sitting down with someone who helps with career transitions. I met with a career transition coach recently, not because I want to change fields, but because we would like to relocate. She really helped me hone in on my strengths and weaknesses, things that aren't necessarily field specific and could cross into any industry. In fact, we re-wrote my entire resume and although it is written specifically for me to (hopefully) get a job in my industry, I could really change a few key words and it would work in another.
  • PMA140
    Options

I think confidence is key. Don't be intimidated by job postings or interviews in areas you have not worked in previously. Come in to interviews with head held high knowing that you have a wealth of experience and a solid set of skills from your past...but also be sure to keep comparisons (to your current/previous industry) at a minimum. If you were to go into a new field and continually bring up the A/C industry specifically, it could work against you (especially in the preliminary stages). But have confidence that your great skills & experience WILL transfer to other fields, perhaps even more so than you think!

Your background is made up of more than your employment history, too. While it may not always be a selling factor when finding a new position, it can help. For example, I made a move from retail management to quality auditing for a social service organization - I had the NECESSARY qualifications down (bachelor's degree, recordkeeping and management experience) but the preferred qualifications of an RN with experience...nope, that's about as far from my past as you can get. However, I had a little bit of hands-on social service experience in college along with volunteer work and personal knowledge and that seriously helped. My current position is a great fit for me and others who have held it, had accounting experience. My closest experiences in the past were retail store bookkeeping. I'm also in the manufacturing industry now, for the first time in my career, so that's new. I love changing fields and learning a lot of new stuff & building on past experiences.

Just go in knowing that your skills WILL serve you and the company or organization well.

I also agree with the earlier suggestion to decide ahead of time what you want to do and the targeted minimum financial (and benefits) compensation you will accept. Whatever you do, don't make a jump if you feel unsure about the compensation being offered or the stability of the company and so forth. You will most likely be happier waiting to find a more acceptable fit even if that means a bit more time in your current position.

Thank you! Yes, I agree, excellent advice.

I tend to get discouraged when job qualifications require a specific degree or skill set that I do not have. I have seen listings where the majority of the job seems to be one thing but they employer is asking for a degree that would only apply to a small portion of the job duties. I don't apply for those jobs because I assume they really are looking for something that specific. Should I apply anyway if I don't meet all of the requirements or is that a waste of everyone's time?
  • enterdanger
    enterdanger Posts: 2,447 Member
    Options
    All the jobs you've done seem seem to say office manager. Do you want to do an office manager type job in another field? Just list your job on your resume and list your duties. It will be apparent that your skills will translate into another industry. Oh, and apply for everything you think you are qualified for even if they want a BA and you have an AA. Experience trumps education every time.
  • kuntry_navySD
    kuntry_navySD Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    join the military

Age limit is 35 for active duty..or at least was when I served
  • seltzermint555
    Options

A lot of jobs say that a bachelor's degree is required but are more than willing to look at candidates with great employment histories and associate's degrees (or sometimes even no degree). I am not naïve enough to think degrees are worth nothing...I know a lot of companies DO have policies that require staff at certain levels have minimal levels of post-secondary education. BUT...I do think a lot of employers actually would hire someone with great experience and no degree or a lesser degree, than someone with a PhD or MBA who has been in school their whole life with little or no work experience under their belt. It goes both ways.

As for the person thinking there is NO way to break into a new field that is pretty sad. Of course it happens - people change industries and jobs all of the time. and don't always start at a minimum wage or super low entry level - of course! Thank goodness...because I was a pharmacy cashier in high school and I would not have wanted to ring up peoples' birth control & other medications for my entire life, tyvm. Not that there's anything wrong with that job...but I like the other jobs I've held.
  • PMA140
    Options
    join the military

Age limit is 35 for active duty..or at least was when I served

I'm close, at 32. But, it's not for me. I do however have a lot of respect and gratitude to those who do and have previously served. Thank you for that. :flowerforyou:
  • seltzermint555
    Options

I tend to get discouraged when job qualifications require a specific degree or skill set that I do not have. I have seen listings where the majority of the job seems to be one thing but they employer is asking for a degree that would only apply to a small portion of the job duties. I don't apply for those jobs because I assume they really are looking for something that specific. Should I apply anyway if I don't meet all of the requirements or is that a waste of everyone's time?

I say apply anyway!! It can't HURT. The worst that will happen? They will toss aside your resume and choose another candidate.

Just from your posts in this thread and others, I can promise you that ANY job you would ever apply for would have a lot of far less qualified applicants than you :-) I used to go through dozens of resumes for various job postings and sometimes it was absolutely crazy what people would apply for. We were hiring at my previous employer for a board certified psychologist and received a TEN PAGE application from a woman with an advanced chemistry degree and no related experience or even any training in psychology.
  • PMA140
    Options

I say apply anyway!! It can't HURT. The worst that will happen? They will toss aside your resume and choose another candidate.

Just from your posts in this thread and others, I can promise you that ANY job you would ever apply for would have a lot of far less qualified applicants than you :-) I used to go through dozens of resumes for various job postings and sometimes it was absolutely crazy what people would apply for. We were hiring at my previous employer for a board certified psychologist and received a TEN PAGE application from a woman with an advanced chemistry degree and no related experience or even any training in psychology.

Thank you! I have seen your responses in other threads and you always give sound and fair advice. I certainly appreciate it. :flowerforyou: