Before doing the gastric bypass...ADVICE

Options

Replies

• agirlscamaro
    agirlscamaro Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    I think as long as you go into it knowing it's not a quick fix. My brother expected that to solve all his problems like a magic wand. It didn't. He never lost all the weight and has now gained what he lost back plus. My best friend from HS knew what she was getting into and decided to make lifestyle changes as well (diet & exercise). She's had great results. It hasn't been easy for her, she's had complications (hernia) but she is happy she had the surgery. She's even become a nurse now!
  • steffyp01
    steffyp01 Posts: 34
    Options
    Hello there, I'm preparing for lap band surgery and the NP at my dr's office actually told me about this site. From what I understand dumping syndrome happens when you take in too much sugar, or even chips but I think the risk of that is highest in the first year post op. Getting in 1200 cal will be a challenge, but I have purchased a juicer and will be getting protein shakes to make smoothies with. I'm nervous as well, but also excited to get healthier. I would be glad to share information with you and may have questions for you as well. Anything I can do to help feel free to ask. I think the key is planning. We will have to several small "meals" for a while, I am just thinking now in advance what to have on hand for that. Good luck with everything and keep me posted.
  • Dacia327
    Dacia327 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    You need to talk to your doc! I am 6 weeks away from having the gastric sleeve myself. And your right it is a little nerve racking. And yes it is possible to gain all the weight back, as with any weight loss tool. That is the key, you have to remember the surgery is only a tool. You have to eat good healthy food and keep your portions in check, the same goes with any other diet plan. You have to make it a lifestyle change. If you don't think you can make it a lifestyle change then please don't have the surgery.
  • Lalasharni
    Lalasharni Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    No one can make the choice for you, but I would advise DON'T.
    Your body is a compex machine that was built to process food efficiently. If you cut out bits and piecesof modify the way that your gut works, then it will stop working efficiently. I agree with those that say this is not the cure, just a cure for the symptoms.
    I know several people who have had GBP and it has ruined them. The agony of spending the rest of their lives thinking constantly of what they cant have was too much. One friend had surgery for all the loose skin and now has a body that looks like a map of the London Underground - not good for self esteem.
    If you are convinced its for you, then get a good support group, but we have that here and there are hundreds, nay thousands of success stories.
    We who are succeeding have changed the way we think about food and how we use it. That is the real "cure".
    But - I wish you luck in your journey, whichever way it takes you.
  • jennifershoo
    jennifershoo Posts: 3,198 Member
    Options
    I think you need to understand why you overeat. Even if you have a surgery that makes it physically impossible to eat a certain volume of food, if you are an emotional eater, those triggers won't go away. Isn't talking to a therapist a necessary step before being allowed to have the surgery?
  • burda03
    burda03 Posts: 2
    Options
    I work for surgeon's that specialize in bariatric surgery and I work one on one with the patients daily. It really is a life change and you need to be ready for it. The main reason why any respectable doctor would recommend gastric bypass surgery is to help reverse, improve or prevent comorbidities (diabetes, hypertension, cardiac issues, sleep apnea, etc.). I would seek advice from a doctor that has a lot of experience with weight loss surgery and make sure that if you do pursue GBP that you are in a very conservative and thorough program...lots of pre-op clearances and testing, closely monitored, long term post-op care and follow-up, offers support groups and so on...if you're still not comfortable with the decision then maybe now is not the time to proceed with surgery. It is very common for patients to question this decision but you want to make sure that you are mentally prepared as well because it is a permanent procedure. My sister has struggled with weight her whole life but she truly turned over a new leaf with great determination...she has lost 30+ and looks amazing. She exercises self-control everyday and will have to continue to do so for the rest of her life (which we should all do no matter your size) but some people need to lose 100+ lbs and the difficult part is they have to keep it off for the rest of their lives to maintain good health. There are a lot of things people don't understand when there is a lack of knowledge and experience when it comes to this particular topic. Sometimes surgery is necessary in order to prevent further health issues and whatever route you take it will require intense discipline. Everyone will have an opinion but this is your health and your future...only you know what's best for you. Hope this helps and I wish the absolute best for you. :)
  • lizfiz50
    lizfiz50 Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    Have you had your thyroid checked?
  • Katerbels
    Katerbels Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    No one can tell you what you NEED to know. A lot of people have their own experiences (either their own or someone they know) and will say 'DON'T DO IT' or 'It is the best thing that happened to me' and neither are wrong...but that's not you. Do a LOT of research, join any group you can find to talk to others who have already had it, make sure that this is your last option before you do it. You can always have it a few months down the road, but once it's done you can't undo it. Maybe you should try the pre and post operation diet for a few days and see how you feel. I have a friend who had it done, and was so excited and gung ho about it and was dying for food to the point of making herself sick by 'sneaking' it and spitting it out. You have to mentally ready to make a HUGE lifestyle change, this isn't a get skinny quick scheme, it is a lifetime commitment.
  • Redfya
    Redfya Posts: 8
    Options
    Your body is a compex machine that was built to process food efficiently. If you cut out bits and piecesof modify the way that your gut works, then it will stop working efficiently.

I beg to differ.
    As outlined in this month's British Medical Journal, weight loss is and can be attributed to the body's chemical make up.

Yes, we are 'complex machines', machines which can go wrong... cancer, stroke, IBS etc.
    Another is Poly Cystic Ovarian Syndrome (PCOS), which throws out the regular menstrual cycle - mine can go from not having one for over two years and then having a spate of periods, lasting over eight weeks at a time. PCOS creates a hormone which triggers fat cell growth, the fat cells themselves creating a hormone which impacts the severity of the PCOS... a cyclical nightmare. Sorry of that was quite graphic.

Since puberty I have suffered with this affliction, a constant battle with my body. I lift weights and I work out and lead an active lifestyle. The weight does not shift.

Those suffering from severe PCOS who have had the gastric bypass, have ALL experienced the PCOS disappearing.

Unfortunately the surgery does leave with lifelong 'self obsession' but this I believe is a small price to pay in order to eventually living a life.

I'm going under the knife in a few weeks.
    I can't wait!
  • GrammyPammy57
    Options
    I am not being critical, but all the items you listed as not being able to give up are probably the reason you have failed in previous attempts. One of the things they don't really say much about as you are preparing for surgery is the fact that your taste buds will change, and many things you felt tempted by in the past just are not that interesting any longer. That being said, if you are having this many misgivings about the surgery, you need to think really long and hard about moving forward with it. The changes you have to make are for a lifetime if you want success at this. I am only 3 months out, and it is a lot of work. However, as my body continues to shrink and my food options are opening back up, I am happy every day I made this decision.
  • obeseandsassy
    obeseandsassy Posts: 118
    Options
    From the reports i've read, most people who have bariatric surgery (and I'm talking long term, 5+ years post-op) either end up extremely malnourished and require various multivitamins for the rest of their life, or they end up ballooning back up to even fatter than they originally were. (or they end up dead, but I'm really not trying to scare you.)

you're just NOT supposed to mess with the way your body naturally works. Billions of years of evolution happened for a reason.

Doctors will easily recommend the surgery because it's a 'quick fix' with fast results. but you need to look at the whole picture. Why are you at the weight you're at now? do you binge? do you have psychological hangups about food? if so, surgery won't fix that, you're still going to have the same problems after you get the surgery, and it'll make you sick because your body won't be able to handle it anymore.

The surgery is NOT magic. Have you told your doc about MFP? It might be something he would encourage.
  • GatorGirlUT
    Options
    There are some serious issues with gastric bypass surgery but bariatric surgery can be a helpful and life-changing and saving option. I would NOT recommend the Roux-en-Y which is usually referred to as the "gold standard". Part of the way it helps people maintain their weight loss is by bypassing the most important sections of the intestine (the duodenum and upper jejunum). While it is quite effective in keeping weight off (second only to Duodenal Switch), it is very difficult to compensate for the nutrient deficiencies that ultimately arise. In fact, after two years, more than 90% of RNY patients have a nutrient deficiency. And compliance with supplementation is less than 35%. Moreover, if you ask your surgeon, 'how much extra calcium and magnesium should I take to compensate for my lack of absorption ability?' he/she will not be able to tell you. I would recommend investigating the Sleeve Gastrectomy which still reduces the stomach size so you get the restrictive help but without the malabsorptive component. One of my biggest issues with RNY is that surgeons don't tell you it quadruples your risk of developing alcoholism, depression, mood disorders, suicide and attempts, as well as substance abuse and behavioral addictions. And if you think this is just a psychological transfer because you wish you could still eat, you'd be wrong. There is no added risk of these problems with restrictive only procedures (lap band, gastrectomy). They only occur when you bypass the intestines.

On the emotional eating front, I'm not sure I buy into that ("It's not what you're eating, it's what's eating you?" type silliness). Some of the comments here would have me believe that America (and similar western societies) have rapidly developed obesity epidemics because their citizens suddenly become a society of emotional wrecks whose only coping mechanism is eating. Whereas the Japanese (30 years ago before adopting our diet) and rural Chinese have no emotional issues? Then why, when they adopt a western diet do they too quickly develop obesity and obesity related illnesses?

I would postulate a different idea. It's the "American" food supply. Starting in around the 1960's we stopped eating "real food" and switched to fake "food-like products". Sadly, it is now cheaper for a mother of four to buy a box of Swiss Rolls than four peaches to pack in a school lunch. We've genetically modified our corn to be roundup resistant to make vast quantities of cheap high fructose corn syrup, which then must be added to everything to make it tasty because it's not actually food. Instead of giving children water at lunch, we give them Juicy Juice in a pouch or Strawberry flavored milk (even though milk is a poor delivery mechanism of absorbable calcium). We have Coke machines in our schools. I could continue this rant, but I think it's evident that it's not that America has an emotional eating problem, but rather a lifetime of eating fake food has made changes to our metabolic processes as well as body/brain chemistry. This doesn't mean making healthy food choices cannot be done, but our society sure does not make it easy, does it? And those high sugar, high salt foods are proven to be actually addicting. The healthy choice is rarely the easy choice nor is it the cheaper choice. Even worse, once the weight is gained and the damage is done, an overweight person must forever eat fewer calories than a person who was never overweight in the first place.

Bariatric surgery does work, usually in spite of you, not because of you (if you could have done it on your own, you likely already would have). The amount of willpower that is required to lose such a significant amount of weight is often far beyond what most people are capable of.....or should be capable of.

I say, consider bariatric surgery, but research the various options as well as all the pros and cons.
  • GatorGirlUT
    Options
    You only get dumping with the Roux-en-Y procedure, and you learn pretty quickly what does and does not give it to you. The liquid diet ahead of time (not all surgeons require it), is to supposedly shrink the liver to make access to the stomach easy (more important if having it done laparoscopically). The post-op liquid diet sounds heinous, but afterwards, eating is the last thing on your mind. It will likely feel strange, but you will probably have to force yourself to eat (at least the first month).

As I wrote in my other post, you might want to investigate other procedures that do not bypass the intestine. I write a blog and have been studying this procedure for over ten years now. In addition to addiction and mood disorders, there is an increase in the very painful peripheral neuropathy, persistent anemia and other malabsorption related health problems.

I know the bypass procedures do consistently show improved weight loss in the long term, I think it is worth looking at some of the non-malabsorptive procedures.

Good luck to you and do not beat up on yourself. The facts are that exercise has very little to do with weight loss and the only way to reasonably lose weight is to drastically cut your caloric intake (likely to less than your normal weight counterparts). Sad but true.
  • jerri8806
    Options
    This is your choice and non of us should either criticize or tell you what or what not to do. You will find alot of people who do that here. You came here to ask about advice for your surgery and I hope you can find it. I have also known people who has had the surgery successfully. Some people fail, and gain weight back again, but I can guarantee that many many people gain weight after losing weight the MFP way too. In other words, do what is right for you and hopefully you can find support from people who has been through the same thing.

good luck

Thank you for this! Weight loss is never easy, no matter how you do it! But so many people on here act like their way is the only way! Yes, gastric bypass fails for alot of people, but it works for alot of people too! Same with calorie counting, bariatric prescriptions, restrictive diets, etc. You have to find what is right for you, no matter what that may be. The hardest part will be keeping the weight off no matter which avenue of weight loss a person chooses. But having something give you an extra boost like bariatric meds or surgery can help you get on the right path. Just because it may not be one person's chosen method doesn't mean it is wrong for everybody! I hope the OP has good luck!
  • SimplySusan63
    SimplySusan63 Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    Hello,
    I am getting ready to do a gastric bypass...I am dieting for years and I can't make it, so my doctors recommended the surgery and I was OK with it.
    BUT reading about it made me very scare...the liquid diet before the surgery, the liquid and puree diet after the surgery for months, I don't know if I can make it.
    Scare me the dumping, not to be able again to eat any sugar or not to drink and eat together (I choked otherwise)...I am scared
    Someone has an advice for me? I am very confuse, as they say here: not to eat less than 1200 calories, but after doing this surgery for months you need to eat so much less...so I don't know.
    HELP!
    Yam

Yam,

I had GASTRIC SLEEVE surgery done in May and I have no regrets! It is less drastic than the BYPASS surgery and with fewer possible complications. I would love to chat with you if you'd like to 'friend' me. You can also check out the community group for bariatric surgery here on myfitnesspal. Click on :

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/637-gastric-bypass-vsg-lapband

I look forward to seeing you there!

Susan
  • meganmiedema
    meganmiedema Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure what your diet looks like now but this video really resonated with me and I always share if with friends considering surgery.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xAdqLB6bTuQ

Reducing foods that are high in macro nutrients (meat, dairy, processed carbs) and replacing them with foods high in micro nutrients will help improve your overall health. If you can't make these changes to your diet I doubt gastric bypass will be of much help either. You will still be eating the same unhealthy foods regardless of the size of your stomach. Good luck on whatever option you choose!
  • QuilterInVA
    QuilterInVA Posts: 672 Member
    Options
    I had this surgery back in 1977 (I'm 72 years old) when it was just starting. It was the best thing I have ever done for myself. There is a wonderful group over on 3 Fat Chicks in the Weight Loss Surgery section (www.3fatchicks.com) and a tone of information ab9out what to expect, how they have done, etc. I lost 214 pounds and I've kept it off. I still watch how much I eat but I can eat anything. Sugar isn't nutrition so why worry about it. It's just like any other weight loss - if you return to your original way of eating, the pounds come back.

I did have malabsorption for the first few years, but the body becomes used to it and all I take now is a multi-vitamin, calcium +D and fish oil and my blood work is superior to others my age.

There are a lot of people who will tell you horror stories. Try to ignore them and get real information from those who have had the procedure and your medical team. Your surgeon will tell you what kind of surgery is best for you.
  • pawoodhull
    pawoodhull Posts: 1,759 Member
    Options
    Hello,
    I am getting ready to do a gastric bypass...I am dieting for years and I can't make it, so my doctors recommended the surgery and I was OK with it.
    BUT reading about it made me very scare...the liquid diet before the surgery, the liquid and puree diet after the surgery for months, I don't know if I can make it.
    Scare me the dumping, not to be able again to eat any sugar or not to drink and eat together (I choked otherwise)...I am scared
    Someone has an advice for me? I am very confuse, as they say here: not to eat less than 1200 calories, but after doing this surgery for months you need to eat so much less...so I don't know.
    HELP!
    Yam

There are actually 5 weight loss surgeries, so before you make you mind up, look at all of them. The main thing to remember is that weight loss surgery (WLS), any of them, are tools, not cures. They will cause you to lose a lot of weight quickly at the beginning and then eventually any further loss and keeping it off is all up to you.

I had the gastric sleeve 3 years ago. I am now way past the point of the surgery being responsible for my weight loss. I lost 15 pounds in the last 12 months, so I am still actively losing, but now it's all my diet and excercise. It's slow going now, but I am only 64 pounds from goal now! That's the other thing about weight loss surgery, everyone loses at their own rate and there are people like me out there who had surgery years ago and are still working towards goal. And just so you know i DID NOT ST"OP LOSING AND REGAIN. I just haven't made it to goal yet.

Baggy, saggy skin? Not for everyone who has WLS has this issue. It depends on how much you have to lose and how old you are. I am in my late 50s and when I am all done I will have lost 226 pounds. I already have baggy/saggy skin but I also have my mobility back and am in better health than I've been in years. So for me the trade off is no big deal. You can have excess skin removed, but you can't have obesity surgically removed.

Again, look at all your options. I really could not do this without the surgery. I weighed 386 and no amount of diet or exercise would work. At that high an obsity rate, surgery was my only option.

One more thing. As I said I had the gastric sleeve. Gastric Bypass is a more invasive surgery with more restrictions. My sleeve simply took the stretchy part of my stomach away. Nothing was disconnected or rerouted. I also don't have any of the malabsorption or dumping issues. So make sure to explore what the possible side effects are to each surgery as well.

Feel free to message me if you have questions.

Pat
  • SarcasmIsMyLoveLanguage
    SarcasmIsMyLoveLanguage Posts: 2,668 Member
    Options
    I have had two family members that have had the gastric bypass and it has ruined both of their lives. My sister is the first one to tell anyone that asks that being skinny is not worth all of the gastric system problems she has now, the problems of the surgery led both my siblings to drugs between pain from side effects and needing an escape from their world once they realized being skinny was not going to fix all the other problems in their life. My brother overdosed on drugs almost a year ago leaving two beautiful young ladies fatherless and to make his death that much harder was the fact that he was so malnutritioned that we could not donate any of his organs to save another life. I may have a very biased view (and I do know at least one person who had a successful bypass which is great for her) but I personally think the gastric bypass should be outlawed...I have personally seen it ruin more lives (other than my siblings) than I have seen it help.

^^ this is awful. So sorry for your loss.
  • Kate7294
    Kate7294 Posts: 783 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't do it. I know two people one male (I went to school with) and a female who both regained. So now both are again obese but with added health problems. I encourage you to try to lose here instead.