IS PROTEIN THE CULPRIT IN MY LACK OF WEIGHT LOSS?

Options
I AM HAVE GONE OVER AND OVER MY LOGS AND THE ONLY THING THAT I CAN FIND IS AN EXCESS OF PROTEIN. I WOULD LOVE TO HAVE SOMEONE LOOK OVER MY LOGS AND SEE IF THERE ARE ANY IDEAS TO HELP ME GET THIS HEADED THE RIGHT DIRECTION...THANKS

Replies

• kjensen15
    kjensen15 Posts: 398 Member
    Options
    I don't think you have made your diary public, so we can't see it.
  • NightOwl1
    NightOwl1 Posts: 881 Member
    Options
    I 100% can guarantee you your lack of weight loss has nothing to do with too much protein.

Also, please don't use caps on the forum. Someone will answer your question if you put in lowercase, I promise lol.
  • jdvfnp
    jdvfnp Posts: 11
    Options
    HOW DO I MAKE THE DIARY PUBLIC?
  • jdvfnp
    Options
    Sorry, didn't realize this was a problem..
  • Ge0rgiana
    Ge0rgiana Posts: 1,649 Member
    Options
    I 100% can guarantee you your lack of weight loss has nothing to do with too much protein.

I second that. Look at your salt intake.
  • ♥_Ellybean_♥
    ♥_Ellybean_♥ Posts: 1,646 Member
    Options

I second that. Look at your salt intake.

Protein is definatly not your problem! MFPs suggested amount of protein is WAY lower than it should be.
  • jdvfnp
    Options
    My diary is now public. I appreciate any help you can provide.
  • HealthySimple
    Options
    I have noticed that the recommended protein on this site is actually quite low...you may not be getting enough. A good rule of thumb is to divide your weight in pounds by 2 and consume at least that number of grams of (lean) protein per day. My protein recommendation only came to about 1/4 of my pounds. Also, I see that carb recommendations are quite HIGH I would look to decrease carbs as well as increase protein. Also make sure you are not consuming your workout calories...that should be a bonus to your weight loss!!! Good luck!
  • mtf612
    mtf612 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Definitely not protein. Sodium might do it though. Ive lost alot of weight in the past 8 months, and I try and get at least 150 grams of protein DAILY. Granted, I lift weights, but protein aides weightloss (because it helps muscle growth which burns calories and fat)
  • 1977belle03
    Options
    Hi, you can manage your Diary Settings by following these steps below....

MY HOME
    Settings
    Diary Settings

There you will see options for your Diary to be viewed by friends only, All or Private.

Good luck with your journey :-)
  • bellanean
    bellanean Posts: 220
    Options
    You go over your fat allowance pretty often and also your really close to your carb limit, maybe you might want to try lowering it a bit? Are you working out, how often?
  • Mads1997
    Mads1997 Posts: 1,494 Member
    Options
    What are you drinking? I can't see anything in your diary and most days you haven't logged any water. Water helps flush your system. You should drink about 2 litres a day
  • jdvfnp
    Options
    I exercise the majority of the days at least 45 minutes or more.
  • jdvfnp
    Options
    I do drink water every day but not 2 liters. Sometimes I forget to log the water. Usually 6-8 0z servings.
  • bellanean
    bellanean Posts: 220
    Options
    That doesn't make sense really on why you wouldnt be losing weight then, esp if you have 70 pounds to lose. Maybe go see a doctor or nutrtionist. But again, you eat a lot of fat.
  • Ge0rgiana
    Ge0rgiana Posts: 1,649 Member
    Options
    That doesn't make sense really on why you wouldnt be losing weight then, esp if you have 70 pounds to lose. Maybe go see a doctor or nutrtionist. But again, you eat a lot of fat.

I'm constantly going over on fat and still losing. This sounds like it might be a bigger problem than that. Then again, the OP just joined. Maybe she just needs to give it more time. This is EXACTLY the reason why I didn't weigh myself for a couple of months or so after I started MFP and why my scale is just now living in the same city I do.

I say give it a little while longer. Just stay OFF the scales and keep logging. If you weigh again, say... next month and you still aren't down, consider seeing a doctor.
  • seemichellerun
    Options
    Okay, from what I can see, you eat a good deal of processed foods which usually means lots of sodium. Cut out the canned food (canned veggies have loads of sodium), leave out the dip and chips, and switch to sweet potatoes instead of white potatoes.

Sour cream, ranch dressing, processed cheese slices, pre-packaged lunch meat, and boxed meals (like mac & cheese) are all pretty horrible for you. They're loaded with fat and sodium which will really hurt your weight loss goals. You may be under your daily calorie goal, but you're not giving your body the proper fuel it needs. Try to eat more whole foods and stay away from pre-packaged stuff. If time is an issue, I suggest cooking a few meals ahead of time and packing them to eat later.
  • StacLegg
    StacLegg Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    Definately drink more water.... more the better.
    don't do the same exercises everyday, you have to switch it up here and there.......
    I understand your frustration, I have been bouncing 2 lbs up and down and going nowhere esle forever......
    If you learn any new secrets that work.... please share with me!! =)
  • servilia
    servilia Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    I agree with seemichellerun! There is a lot of processed food in there. I would decrease your carbs and increase your protein. Try to get some of that protein in with breakfast. Good luck!
  • runningneo122
    runningneo122 Posts: 6,962 Member
    Options
    I agree about the processed foods. Another thing I saw in one week you were all over the place with the numbers. One day you're over calories by a lot.... a couple of days good being just under and then a day where you only eat 500 cals.

Start here: Click on >Goals >Change Goals ...Select "custom" and set your protein level 10% higher and your fat 10% higher.

Next work toward better selections for food. Buy your food as close to how it came out of the field. Frozen is OK and not canned. Protein with every meal. It keeps your insulin from spiking and the crash that follows it is when you feel real hungry and usually for carbs. 2 veggies and one fruit with every meal. Work toward 4 meals every day, then move to 5. Portion sizes are made smaller throughout the day... Medium to big b/fast... big lunch and medium dinner or last meal. Water water water. I'm 6'2" and I went from 260 - 215 just watching portion size and cooking my own meals(and these were not the clean meals I've just reccomended). After the plateau, I started running.

You can do this if you set your mind to it. You said you were doing cardio.... work toward doing some every day and then work up to 30+ minutes a day. I prefer "fasted cardio" which is first thing in the morning B4 breakfast. If you aren't a morning person that's OK. Try these things a little at a time so they become a habit you will keep up.

Good Luck and message me if you need more help. My diary is public....look at what I eat and what my exercise numbers are. Oh, almost forgot... eat your exercise cals burned. I watch the total after the exer. cals add on and try to eat within 100 - 150 cals of that every day.