Today, I was diagnosed with high blood pressure.

Options
I am very sad. I just left my doctor's office, and I was diagnosed with high blood pressure. I am trying to not feel completely hopeless, but the thought of being on medication for the rest of my life is depressing. I've been trying to change my diet and exercise, and I'm afraid that just wont be enough.

Has anyone here had any positive experiences with getting OFF of BP meds? Does anyone have any advice on how to manage BP with a healthy diet and exercise?

:(

Replies

• zoomtech16
    zoomtech16 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    I don't know if I can help you, but I can feel your pain. I'm only 21 years old and a nursing student for crying out loud. I was diagnosed with it on the day before the 4th of July where I had to go visit friends and family the next day, and I felt like crying the whole day. It's actually not that bad I'm on the lowest dose and still trying to lose weight and exercise, so that I don't get diabetes, and feel confident enough to tell my patients how to be healthy. Please don't despair just keep trying to lose weight my doctor told me that it is totally possible to lose weight an come off the pills, but it's just genetics and physics.
  • yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    Options
    Yes you can. I am not sure it will be enough. From my brother experience he too had high blood pressure and started to do cardio. I think that getting down in weight will help.
  • vmclach
    vmclach Posts: 670 Member
    Options
    No. But when I was 17, my BP was 135/85 which is pretty crappy. They dispirited me with pre high blood pressure and told me they were going to keep an eye on it as I got older. That freaked me out. I was 17 years old.

My advice. Google "coach to 5k" and don't ever stop. 5 years later my BP is 110/60. All I do is run. I eat fairly healthy too. Clean diet, etc.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    I am very sad. I just left my doctor's office, and I was diagnosed with high blood pressure. I am trying to not feel completely hopeless, but the thought of being on medication for the rest of my life is depressing. I've been trying to change my diet and exercise, and I'm afraid that just wont be enough.

Has anyone here had any positive experiences with getting OFF of BP meds? Does anyone have any advice on how to manage BP with a healthy diet and exercise?

It's certainly not the end of the world. I take two little tiny pills daily to control my hypertension...it is much better than the alternative.

In some cases, diet and exercise and losing weight can make a profound difference and there are many people who've gotten off their meds. In my case, and in the case a vast many, it is simply a hereditary issue and a pretty common one at that. In my case, I've been able to reduce my dosage but that's it and it's taken about two years to do that...good news is that with all this good livin' I started a couple of years ago, I'm no longer in need of taking cholesterol meds and my blood sugar levels have normalized...but my hypertension is likely forever.

Just don't ignore it...both my grandfather and my dad had hypertension from a pretty young age and ignored it...my grandfather died at 72...basically blood vessels exploded in his brain from the pressure. My dad ended up passing away at 61 from issues related to his type II diabetes, but beyond that he had stage IV kidney failure due to waiting decades to start treating his hypertension.

Like I said...taking a little pill in the morning is a far cry better than the alternative.
  • amberj32
    amberj32 Posts: 663 Member
    Options
    Hopeless.... really? It's not that serious, well if you don't have it under control it is but I mean really? I've had high blood pressure for years. I finally just started taking my medication for it this April when they diagnosed me with diabetes. I take two pills a day. It's not a big deal. I'm not sure if you have weight to lose, etc. Your profile doesn't have anything on it. But lose weight if you need to and exercise, 30-60 minutes a day. My doctor said to try and keep sodium at or below 1600, but that never really happens. The 2300 MFP has is a little more realistic. Also, it's good to have a home blood pressure monitor so you can test at different times.

Some things people say that work(don't know if they are scientifically proven) - less stress, less caffeine, relaxation, eat foods high in potassium, no smoking, herbs, etc.
  • _Terrapin_
    _Terrapin_ Posts: 4,301 Member
    Options

When you asked your doctor these questions what was their response? You did ask your doctor since you were there correct?
  • icrushit
    icrushit Posts: 773 Member
    Options
    Interested in following this thread also, as blood pressure is something I need to keep in check myself. Typically I fluctuate between normal, and just below what would be regarded as pre-hypertension.

Patrick Holford, a British nutritionist I respect, recommends niacin, fish oil, and magnesium all as potential ways to lower high blood pressure, so you might be interested to look into those and do your own homework.

Reducing salt is obviously a good immediate measure to take, and see if it helps. Aside from that, I exercise daily (walking mostly, some resistance training), and eat low carb, both things that can help lower blood pressure, although with regard to low carb lowering blood pressure a little was just a coincidental benefit, as I decided to eat that way solely for weight loss reasons.

There are definitly things within your control, check them out, and take them on board. You may still require medication, but there is no reason you can't do everything within your control to try help yourself, and then see how things stand :)
  • jescamp9481
    jescamp9481 Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    I got diagnosed in Nov, I decided to make a change and I went to the dr last month and he said "you have cured yourself" ... no more meds for me!!! if you chage the way you eat and exercise more you can get off these meds. I am living proof. Good luck OP
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    I got diagnosed in Nov, I decided to make a change and I went to the dr last month and he said "you have cured yourself" ... no more meds for me!!! if you chage the way you eat and exercise more you can get off these meds. I am living proof. Good luck OP

It is good to be optimistic and it is good to do everything you possibly can from a dietary and exercise standpoint, to include losing weight to treat hypertension...as the benefits go far beyond that singular goal...but it is also important to realize that for a great many, their hypertension has nothing to do with their diets or exercise, it is simply a hereditary thing.

The OP will not know until the work is done...but even if it doesn't cure him of this particular issue, there will be numerous additional benefits.

I'm living proof that it's not always about diet and exercise...I eat extremely healthfully and exercise regularly...I generally log anywhere between 60 - 90 miles per week on my bike and lift weights and walk/hike a lot. My diet rocks and consists largely of 6-8 servings of veggies per day and 2-3 servings of fruit along with plenty of lean proteins and healthy fats and a smattering of whole grains...very little in the way of processed food or junk food.

I'm not trying to be a downer here...like I said, optimism is a good thing...I just want the OP to realize that sometimes it's out of our control...but that doesn't mean we shouldn't be living healthfully anyway...numerous benefits of living healthfully.
  • merfhur
    merfhur Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    I was diagnosed with pre-hypertension in April and had to go back to the doctors every month to get my BP taken.
    I watched what I was eating salt-wise and exercised a bit more and they let me go every 3 months being checked.

I went back last week to get it checked after losing 10kg and my BP is now well within the healthy range and I only have to go now when I get my BC which is necessary anyway.

What I'm trying to say is that this can be done and most of all you can do it!
  • SoLongAndThanksForAllTheFish
    Options
    MANY people reduce or get rid of high blood pressure altogether by reducing weight, adding regular exercise and changing diet. Go see a doctor for an appointment for some guidelines as to how in your particular case, and if that doctor doesn't, go see a better doctor!
  • Gamer_2k4
    Gamer_2k4 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I was never officially diagnosed with high blood pressure, but at least once I was unable to donate blood because my numbers were too high. That was when I was 23 or so and about 265 pounds. Now, at 26 and 195, my blood pressure is in the normal range again.

Get in shape first. If that doesn't work, then you can start worrying.
  • LianaG1115
    LianaG1115 Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    Truth?? You can either wallow in self pity or take it upon YOURSELF to make the change...that's it in a nutshell!! I will NOT be the one to say "poor you" because I have lived the same life, teetering on diabetes and high blood pressure...the choices are your own...I know I've added years to my life with my changes, it's up to you to decide your direction!!! Happy Wednesday!!
  • Snip8241
    Snip8241 Posts: 767 Member
    Options
    Yes there is hope. About a year ago my BP at a Dr visit was153/110. I was put on meds that made me miserable.
    I started walking, swimming, watching my nutrition. My last visit in June with no meds my BP was 110/80.

Stay on meds right now, exercise, watch your sodium. It takes a few weeks but you won't notice lower sodium. There us so much hidden in processed food.
    Good luck....there is hope. You have to work for the changes. It is not easy.
  • BramageOMG
    BramageOMG Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    I have had high blood pressure for >25 years. In fact, my medication has been increased twice, In the last 2 months, the weight loss and exercise has completely eliminated the need for my medication. Only 2 months....

I had no idea how much weight (and SODIUM) played a part in my "chronic" condition. Everyone is different, but maintaining a healthy weight, exercising, and watching sodium: You wont have to worry about high blood pressure in all likelihood.
  • frood
    frood Posts: 295 Member
    Options

I'm normal weight, no family history of hypertension, and had been exercising for several years when 140/100 came out of nowhere and stuck around despite diet and exercise efforts. There's no reason to be sad or depressed; this isn't a personal failing. I think of it in this light: I can take a simple medicine to solve a problem that I have no other control over. What I'd find depressing is if I had no options at all. Best wishes to you. :heart:
  • Graymanstole
    Graymanstole Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    I was on Metoprolol initially, then switched to Lisinipril to treat high blood pressure. I went to a primary care facility to be seen for a pinched nerve in my wrist. Nurse took my blood pressure and said "hmm. Are you taking your medicine for blood pressure?" Up till then I had no idea my blood pressure was high. She said mine was 165/124. Couldn't be, I never had a history of HBP. She told me she'd take it again in a few minutes, but the results were the same.

I felt just like you, didn't want to spend the rest of my life on meds. Realized, though, that the medicine would help in the short term to alleviate what is a very serious condition, but made a promise to myself I would come off the medicine when the worst of the danger passed. I started walking, doing some light cardio, running (like a herd of turtles through peanut butter, but I ran). I started paying attention to what I ate more. Doesn't mean I changed what I ate a whole lot, just ate less of it. After about 8 months of being on the medicine I was able to come off it. That was two years ago. My blood pressure today is 118/70 with a resting heart rate of 58.

so, long story short: Being on the meds stinks, but you CAN come off them.
  • mcamajr7
    mcamajr7 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Thank you all for your responses. Reading them has been really helpful to me today. I guess I was just feeling sidelined; at 28 years old, I just didn't expect to be put on a daily medication. And as I left the doctor's office today and dropped off my prescription, it definitely did feel like a personal failure.

I appreciate hearing about your experiences, and I understand that a condition like blood pressure is a result of a complex relationship between genetics and lifestyle choices. My doctor is optimistic that losing the weight and exercising will help ameliorate (even if not solve) the problem, and I am more determined than ever to do whatever I can do on my end to be healthy. I know there is a long road ahead of me, but I also realize now how important it really is that I stay on that road.

Again, thank you for your responses and encouragement. It really does help to know that others have experienced this and either beat it or learned to manage it. Also, probably the most important message I've taken away from reading your replies and talking with my doctor today is that regardless of how I feel about taking a pill every day and whether or not I can manage these numbers on my own in the long run, it's important that I suck it up and start taking the meds so that I get out of the 'risk' category.
  • Spreyton22K
    Spreyton22K Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    Hi there,

Hope I am not coming in too late to contribute to this topic (blasted time differences).

I am sorry you have had this shock to your system, but it isn't the end of the World, even though right now you may feel that, hopefully with time and a frank discussion with your treating Dr. you will be able to decrease your blood pressure via diet and exercise to the point you will no longer need tablets.

Mr Wolfman has some really pertinent points that are relevant for anyone dealing with high blood pressure......sometimes no matter what you do ie. Keeping weight down, good exercise regime and keeping an eye on your salt intake etc etc, your genetic markers will still hand you the card of needing some extra assistance with regulation.

If that does occur perhaps looking at the situation from the point of view of how fortunate we are to be able to access good health care to prevent damage and even early death from chronically untreated hypertension. Now more than ever you have a reason to take care of yourself to the very best of your ability.....for yourself and for those that love you, so you will be able to enjoy the rest of your life to the fullest. I can reassure you of this, I think that everyone who has health issues and does everything within their power to make the situation have the best outcome possible has the admiration of those around them.

I hope you give this high blood pressure the old heave ho'. Best of luck.
  • aelkz
    aelkz Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Do not worry! you will overcome this sadness, I'm sure that with a healthy diet and practicing regular physical activity, you will strengthen your body to overcome any hassle. Don't give up, we all here for the same goal: be healthy. =]