Kitchen Knives?

Options

Replies

• 777Gemma888
    777Gemma888 Posts: 9,578 Member
    Options
    So...I've always liked to cook. And eat. That's what got me on this site so many years ago to begin with, lol. I know many of my MFP friends are the same (some are even professional chefs), and so I'm sure many of you all are the same as well.

Years ago (long before I found MFP lol), I ended up in a situation where I learned to make knives. Last year I extended that knowledge to making high end kitchen knives for myself and others. Since then, my love of cooking has grown, literally by leaps and bounds. A good (very good) knife makes cooking into a whole new experience.

So, that said, what kind of knives do you use, and what kind of use do you put them to? Are you a home user? Professional chef? Do you just grab the first sharp knife shape object you found on a shelf at Wal Mart? Or are your tastes more discerning? Do you like shorter, or longer knives? Carbon or stainless? Laser thin or heavy bladed?

Am currently renting a Villa close to 'location' at present for work, and they have this set for my use. It's stainless steel and rather clunky. Gave me a really bad blister ~ the balance is off and it's rather large for my hands to handle. Strangely enough, the chopper is actually way more sturdy , so I am more likely to use it more regularly ~ granted, it's heavier.

24l6lxz.jpg

My late maternal grandfather would custom knives for me to use for weeding [Extra-curricular gardening + cooking campfire style at primary school] and for cooking events@Brownies and later Girl Guides. It's been a while since I'd had the privilege to see someone who is equally as passionate as he was about knives. lol. He'd be livid if he saw the set I'm currently using. lol

Your custom self made knives are beautiful. Wow!! You're certainly gifted.
  • crisanderson27
    crisanderson27 Posts: 5,343 Member
    Options
    Your custom self made knives are beautiful. Wow!! You're certainly gifted.

Well, thank you!! I don't know about talented so much...just a lot of hard work and a determination not to stop until they are the best I can make them!
  • digitalbill
    digitalbill Posts: 1,410 Member
    Options
    When we got married 15 years ago, we bought the wal-mart specials.
    10 years ago, we bought a Cutco set of knives and we are still thrilled with them.
    My Father bought Cutco knives almost 40 years ago and he still has them.
    I love the fact that I can just send them away to the company to get sharpened.
    In addition to the kitchen set, I also bought a KA-BAR Explorer from them.
  • teresamwhite
    teresamwhite Posts: 947 Member
    Options
    I'm a professional chef, and I prefer my knives to have some heft to them...I prefer a 7" santoku for most tasks, and really love my Shun knives...i've had my Wusthof set from culinary school for years, but after becoming accustomed to the santoku, I find a French chef's knife to be clumsy to use. My Global meat slicer, though, is fantastic...it's my favorite for that task. I do own a few other knives...like a Rachael Ray Coppertail santoku that my mother gave me...it's a bit light for my happiness, but it functions well enough...and a few Rada paring knives and a little 3" santoku...My Pampered Chef $1 paring knives though are like scalpels! Those things are pretty awesome!

I've been lucky enough to find a few carbon steel knives at the flea market...a few strokes with a grill screen and those things are are amazing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lBN-94ZFTfM
  • knittnponder
    knittnponder Posts: 1,954 Member
    Options
    I have a set of Shun knives. My favorite is the Classic D handle santuko which was my very first "good" knife. My husband happened to be in William Sonoma around Christmas a couple of years ago and they were clearing out some of their knives. He found a set of Ken Onion Shun's on sale for a ridiculously low price and bought them for me for Christmas. I love my knives so much that if I have to help in someone else kitchen or a church potluck or something, I will take one with me. I have sheath's for my chef knife and my pairing knife so I can take my two favorites. :laugh:

I am a home user so nothing fancy here. I did just give a knife lesson to my son's Boy Scout troop though because I am the Cooking Merit badge counselor.
  • Praying_Mantis
    Praying_Mantis Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    Agree with others - your knives are amazing.

I just cook for two at home, nothing special. I have really enjoyed the Global knife we have, but DH has ruined it by sharpening. It actually has a jagged edge now, and it's not a bread knife. Wah! The weight of the Global knife is ideal and it fits my small hand nicely. The texture in the handle makes it easier for me to hold when my hand is damp or wet.

Mostly we have Chicago Cutlery. DH likes the wooden handles. He'd LOVE your knives for sure.

Just purchased Pure Komachi knives last week. I love that they are sharp, but then so were all the others when I brought them home. :tongue: Hopefully we'll keep this set sharp for a while. What's your opinion on them? Good enough for a few years?

ETA: fix typo
  • Jonalee1977
    Jonalee1977 Posts: 415 Member
    Options
    Warther's. Lifetime guarantee. Free sharpening. Love them.
  • Guns_N_Buns
    Guns_N_Buns Posts: 1,899 Member
    Options
    I use the Helle knives for outdoor activities (i.e. hunting, skinning, fishing, cleaning); my go-tos are the Eggen and GT for hunting and the Hellefisk for fishing.

In the kitchen, I'm currently in love with Cold Steel.
  • TheRoadDog
    TheRoadDog Posts: 11,793 Member
    Options
    I have a set of Knives that was a gift in 1977. I have thought I would like to replace them eventually, but cannot find a set of equal quality that is even remotely affordable.

I primarily use the Chef's knife and the Cleaver when cooking.

As a matter of fact, I have use the same cutting board for 25 years. The center of it is perfectly curved to the Cleaver.
  • DBoone85
    DBoone85 Posts: 916 Member
    Options
    I have a really nice set of kitchen knives that belonged to my mom before she passed. They are on the counter in my kitchen, and I have not touched them in years. For almost everything that I do in the kitchen, I use an old Ka-Bar USMC fighting knife that my dad gave me. He carried it in Operation Desert Storm and in Afghanistan. Every time I cut a brisket and watch it the juice run out, I imagine its a bit more Taliban blood.
  • TheRoadDog
    TheRoadDog Posts: 11,793 Member
    Options
    I have a really nice set of kitchen knives that belonged to my mom before she passed. They are on the counter in my kitchen, and I have not touched them in years. For almost everything that I do in the kitchen, I use an old Ka-Bar USMC fighting knife that my dad gave me. He carried it in Operation Desert Storm and in Afghanistan. Every time I cut a brisket and watch it the juice run out, I imagine its a bit more Taliban blood.

Sometimes you scare me.
  • odusgolp
    odusgolp Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options

Youre-Crazy-Reaction-Gif.gif
  • MikeCrazy
    MikeCrazy Posts: 2,716 Member
    Options
    I have a set of Japanese steal knives...so nice, so sharp!
  • ItsMeGee3
    ItsMeGee3 Posts: 13,255 Member
    Options
    Send me a set and I'll give you my opinion! :wink:
  • fbmandy55
    fbmandy55 Posts: 5,263 Member
    Options
    Lets just say, I have no steak knives left out of 8. Eventually when I would use them the plastic handle would break off. One by one they went bye bye.

I almost threw up when my parents told me what theirs cost. More than my fiances car. We need a set badly!
  • _crafty_
    _crafty_ Posts: 1,682 Member
    Options
    <~~ is still waiting for her custom kitchen knife from OP :sad:

:flowerforyou: :heart:
  • odusgolp
    odusgolp Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options

Right? Those are amazing!
  • _crafty_
    _crafty_ Posts: 1,682 Member
    Options

Right? Those are amazing!

He promised me one over a year ago! How many effing trips does a girl have to make to the desert before she gets her damn knife?!
  • DBoone85
    DBoone85 Posts: 916 Member
    Options

Sometimes you scare me.

ka_bar___usmc_fi_4f6c7e162f0c4.jpg

Not that clean of course....and the blade is narrower because it has been sharpened so many times.....but classic and useful. I would not trade it for anything.
  • spirytwynd
    spirytwynd Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    Nice job on the knives. I am an amateur bladesmith myself. I have made very little in the way of kitchen knives. As a Texas boy with a military background, I tend to make blades for rigorous use by people whose lives depend on them. And I have a deep and abiding love for a good Bowie. That said, I just got a Japanese knife that I can't even pronounce so that I can use it for making sushi. As far as regular kitchen knives go, I am a fan of Cutco. Their knives have always worked well for me and they have a free lifetime resharpening commitment to their customers.