I don't usually rant, but...

Options
How is it that for 26 years of my life I have been a nail biter, then one day, woke up and decided I didn't want to do it anymore and havent? But that for 20+ years of my life of being overweight, I can't seem to get motivated enough to lose it. :explode:

I wish I could just wake up one day and have all the motivation in the world and just DO IT!:sad:

I am making small changes and sticking to them, so I know it's all a matter of time and dedication, but I wish losing weight was as easy as kicking the nail biting habit. :grumble:

But hey, one habit broken and one more to go.

The little things in life, right?:drinker:

Replies

• madlibpoet
    madlibpoet Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I understand...I pretty much did the same thing with smoking as you did with your nails.

However, both are oral fixes (smoking and nail-biting) and I think breaking food habits, for me, has a lot to do with that habit.

You can do it - so can I :)
  • flbeachbuddy
    flbeachbuddy Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    Understand completely. I do well for a couple of days or even a week, then I go "off the wagon". Big time last night - boyfriend bought M&Ms - but I was the one that brought the bag over to the couch. :embarassed:

Had even done strength training with a trainer. Want to have more strength with food!

Good way to look at it, though, look at the positives not the negatives!
  • rsonthelake
    rsonthelake Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    I've always said…..I've been successful at pretty much everything I've tried………except my weight. It has been a 30 year battle.
    Good Luck!
  • javamom
    javamom Posts: 309
    Options
    Food tastes better than fingernails!!!! :bigsmile:
  • galvestongal
    galvestongal Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    It took me FOREVER to get up the motivation to lose the weight. I tried all the fad diets to no avail. Then I realized that quick fixes are not the answer, I needed a lifestyle change. Make small goals. Don't say I have 50 pounds to lose, break it up into smaller more obtainable goals, like losing 1-2 lbs this week, and 1-2 next week. And make changes like getting a grilled chicken sandwich instead of a hamburger. Start small with exercising too, find something you like to do and will stick with, even if it is walking 30 mins a day, its better than nothing. Small goals will make it easier to obtain and make the process less daunting.
  • brwnsugababe
    Options
    I totally understand.....I thought this would be hard. Well it was hard in the beginning, but now its like habit. I wake up and my mind wants to workout even if my body doesnt. I have been trying to quit smoking for a long time. However, I have cut back some. So its a start. I will keep pushing everyday though, oneday I'm going to wake up and not want a smoke.
  • LM_105
    LM_105 Posts: 515 Member
    Options
    You are right, something just needs to go 'click' but I found that just before I finally went 'click' (after 30+ years of overweight to some degree), that I needed to make time for myself to catch up with myself and think. Sounds easy but it is very difficult to find time without someone else being around or easily distracting myself,

May I suggest that you try and find a few days where you can think about yourself, what direction you want your life to go from here on, and what is important to you. If you decide weight loss isn't important to you 'just now' then fine, maybe the time isn't right for you and it will be next month etc etc. But maybe, just maybe it is and all you needed was to get it properly to the forefront of your mind.

We all know that sorting the cupboards and thinking about what we put in our months and the shopping for health foods, let along preparation takes a lot of effort (especially if like I did you rely on quick fix food). Good luck.
  • HealthyEscape
    Options
    Thanks to everyone for your comments.

I made a goal today to start journaling. Before today I didn't realize that there was a difference in journaling versus blogging, but there really is.

I am going to set aside 10 minutes 3x a day to journal. Falls around the same time as breakfast/lunch/dinner and will give me a chance to write my goals for the day in the morning, see how I am doing in the afternoon and then reflect on the whole day in the evening.

I think that by taking this time to myself, I will be able to delve deeping into myself and really find out how I got this way and what it will take to change both my outside, but also my inside.

I'm going tonight after work to buy some pretty pens and a pretty notebook that will reflect my self-worth and make me want to keep with it.
  • MzBug
    MzBug Posts: 2,173 Member
    Options
    Eh, I have been doing the weight battle for 35 years! It started around junior high. I quit bitting my nails, I quit twirling my hair, I quit smoking (it took a few tries), but just couldn't put down the fork and spoon. I have done every diet under the sun with less than stellar results. I knew what had to be done....just didn't want to do it. I kept looking for the quick fix. Last summer it just kinda clicked into place. I decided to change my eatting habits and get rid of most of the processed junk. I lost 8 pounds before I found MFP. While on MFP I have lost 49, so I have lost 57 since July. I haven't looked back.

Once your mind has made its decision and your subconscious is on board it is easy. Once things become habit there is no going back. I haven't had any major issues with my lifestyle changes. I hope not to in the future either.

Good Luck!
  • Warmbloodwear
    Warmbloodwear Posts: 387 Member
    Options
    Ya know I did that too. Then I remember the *kitten* kicking I get when I went to the gym either from the trainer or myself at pilates and my husband looked at me starring at the M&M in my hand and asked if I was ok? I said no put the M&M back and made a cup of tea. Then I cried ha!!! I did wake up one morning and decide I didn't like the person in the mirror. The healthy person on the inside wants to come out!!! Yours will too!! Hang in there!!!

P.S I still bite my nails lol cant seem to kick that wth??
  • nextrightthing
    nextrightthing Posts: 408 Member
    Options
    I joined a green smoothie challenge on January 2nd. I haven't really been doing that well on the challenge other than having one green smoothie a day. Other than that I have been trying to MFP. as of 2 weeks ago when I joined .....and I really like the accountability it gives me. I get e-mails each day from the smoothie challenge and one of the things she said really hit home with me. I am very on and off with my commitment to a diet.......like I make a mistake and then that is it..........I fall off the wagon. What the green smoothie "Queen" said was get over it.....there was no wagons to fall off of. If you do well.....great you do well........if you don't do as well.....you don't do as well but, you haven't fallen off the wagon because there are no wagons to fall off of. If you make bad choices then accept it and move one.....don't finish the bag of M&M's and start tomorrow. Record the calories and accept that eating over your calories is going to slow your progress but, not end it.....you only end it when you stop trying.

Just remember there are no wagons......so you can never fall off!