Starting uni - 6 weeks!!

Options
Hi all, a bit about me, I'm 18, 5"2, 134lbs (ish! I fluctuate a fair bit), and in 5 weeks and 4 days I'm off to medical school! Whoo :happy:

So anyways, I need some help. For ages now I haven't known what to be doing with myself. Shall I cut and lose fat? Do I not need to cut and just focus on gaining muscle? I dont know!! :sad:

I have posted some pictures on my profile for you all to have a look at. I want to be in the best possible shape for when I start my course, and I know that 6 weeks isn't long but I want to at least get started on a proper plan that I can be working on and keep me focused so I don't go off track during my first semester!

Currently I haven't been logging my food and have been eating rather poorly (naughty! I know) :blushing: I do exercise multiple times a week, doing circuits, spin, gym (which is roughly 20 min cardio and 40-60 min of weights/callisthenics/circuits), and I also horse ride several times a week (but half the time it is just leisurely and not very strenuous!)

tl;dr - Do I lose fat or gain muscle? Look at pictures to assess me and please give me a diet/fitness plan if possible!!!! :flowerforyou:

ETA - I am not new to this, I have had MFP profiles before and I started my journey last year at 140lbs+, but am now lost as to what to do now, and I'm kind of sick of "diet and exercise"... I'd much rather eat and train!

Replies

• msncush
    msncush Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I believe you do some of all. Track your calories.
    Do a walk or a run when you're able. Lift weights when you're able.
    Start where you are and add something each week.
    I know for me it really took about for 6-8 weeks for me start looking forward to working out.
    I know that in the first 20 minutes of working I'm not that much into it, but found out when I go the distance I feel good about myself.
    Make a promise to yourself for something that you WILL do each day to take you closer to your goal.
    It can't all be done in a week.
    Go get 'em doc!
  • annabel_adcock
    Options
    bump!
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    to be honest, as a woman, 6 weeks isnt long enough to gain any appreciable muscle mass.

plus noone can tell you if you need to lose more fat, thats a personal preference... if you're happy as you are why not maintain and enjoy a few weeks of calm before you start medical school!?
  • ducati45
    ducati45 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Sounds like you already do a fair bit of exercise, I reckon you should keep going with that, ramp up the intensity or change it up if you want. But you are here to track on the food front? You said you want to lost 12 pounds but I think you're pretty muscular so that might not be necessary, you should focus on how you look and measure maybe instead of the actual weight loss? I use the MFP calculations but don't put it to lose like 2 pounds a week, probably slower like 1 pound at most and keep up your protein to prevent muscle loss ! It's good you have health exercise habits now I hope you still have time for it during med school. Tracking will help you stay aware of study/stress snacking hahah
  • cdoesthehula
    cdoesthehula Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    Why does it matter what a bunch of strangers on the Internet think?

Do you think you need to lose fat or gain muscle?

Do you think the amazing people you're about to meet on your course will look at you and think you need to lose fat or gain muscle?

Do you REALLY want a diet/training plan that a bunch of strangers have come up with?

As you asked for an opinion, here's mine. I think you should make sure you eat well, keep active, spend time with the people you love and generally spend the rest of the summer doing things that make you feel happy. You're about to undergo a massive upheaval; placing more pressure on yourself to perform isn't healthy.

There will be a gym at uni, and all sorts of opportunities to try new stuff. You might find a new activity that makes you feel amazing. Think about training then.

Of course, that is just my opinion, and if you want to train your socks off fill your boots. It's all good.:smile: