Gaining weight when increasing calories to maintenance?!

Options
I have been stuck at my weight for months even when I decrease my calories and thats when I realized something has to be wrong. I was eating too little and not losing weight! So I read that I need to up my calories. I started with probably lower than 1200 calories (I know thats so bad and wish I had never done that!) 6 weeks ago I upped my calories to 1400!!! My calories are added up correctly too! The first week of increasing I gained 4 pounds fast assuming it was just water weight. Most people say it goes down the second week but mine is still stuck on me. Is this fat?! I logged this website instead of the other because I heard this is the best one and it says I need to maintain on 1600 calories. If I up my cals will my weight eventually go back to normal? I'm scared I will just gain more and I will never lose it! How long will it take? Im so frustrated :( Let me know your advice. I really need support!

Replies

• tangibleskink34
    tangibleskink34 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Weight fluctuates, maybe you need to drink more water. High salt intake makes me seem to gain weight. Don't lose hope your body may just being going through some changes but it will likely balance out because eating to little is horrible for your metabolism. try cutting out sugar. i always gain weight if i eat sugary stuff even if im in my calorie range.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    Water weight, totally normal when increasing your calories suddenly. There's no way it's fat at 1400 calories, unless you lie in bed all day or totally underestimate how much you are eating.
  • hookilau
    hookilau Posts: 3,134 Member
    Options
    This group might help you as you increase calories http://www.myfitnesspal.com/forums/show/3834-eat-more-to-weigh-less
    Good luck :drinker:
  • Lindyandcheryl
    Lindyandcheryl Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I too was eating too few calories, now I'm at 1200 a day or a little less. However, I have increased my protein to about 90 grams a day, has really sped up my metabolism. I'm losing about 1.5 pounds a week, wish it was more but it's consistent.
  • yoyoyo15
    yoyoyo15 Posts: 16
    Options
    Thank you so much! I will try out your advice!
  • yoyoyo15
    Options
    Will my weight go back to normal eventually?
  • SomeNights246
    SomeNights246 Posts: 807 Member
    Options
    How long were you eating at less than 1,200? That is important for answering your question. As eating too little for too long can lead to all kinds of digestive issues.

Basically, the weight gain could be bloating. And yes. Trust me. In the beginning... when you go from a severe deficit to a normal deficit or maintenance calories, the bloating can stick around for 2 weeks. Or more.
  • SomeNights246
    SomeNights246 Posts: 807 Member
    Options
    Will my weight go back to normal eventually?

Yes, most likely.
  • yoyoyo15
    Options
    I too was eating too few calories, now I'm at 1200 a day or a little less. However, I have increased my protein to about 90 grams a day, has really sped up my metabolism. I'm losing about 1.5 pounds a week, wish it was more but it's consistent.

Oh, thats awesome advice. THANK YOU!