Does how how fast you eat your calories matter?

Options
Let's say you're going 1500 calories a day but you want to eat in all within an hour, is that at all different from spreading it out throughout the day?

Replies

• Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    Yes. I do so much better when I graze than when I eat big meals. It's just too much food at once.

But what you do want matter to me at all. You should do what makes you happy! :)
  • daffodilsoup
    daffodilsoup Posts: 1,972 Member
    Options
    Biologically, no - in fact, that's the basis for Intermittent Fasting, the idea that you have a small "feeding window" that you eat all your calories for the day during.

Some people do well with this approach, because it allows you to eat significantly larger meals than someone who spreads them out through the day. Others do better "grazing" through smaller, more frequent meals. Do what works best for you - and don't be afraid to switch between the two!
  • geebusuk
    geebusuk Posts: 3,348 Member
    Options
    I believe there may be some slight detriment to eating absolutely all your calories in one meal according to some study - but only slight. In some cases when I've had 4000 calories to eat and only eaten 1000 in the day I've consumed the last 3000 in an hour while simultaneously doing a weights session (hint - tinned caramel, eaten out of the tin. nom.)
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options
    Let's say you're going 1500 calories a day but you want to eat in all within an hour, is that at all different from spreading it out throughout the day?
    Nope, it does not matter at all as to weight loss. You can eat your food in one meal, three meals, six meals, or a perpetual graze day, and still lose weight as long as you eat within your calorie deficit.
  • neveragain84
    neveragain84 Posts: 534 Member
    Options
    Nope, it does not matter at all as to weight loss. You can eat your food in one meal, three meals, six meals, or a perpetual graze day, and still lose weight as long as you eat within your calorie deficit.

This. All a matter of personal preference. I like the three-meal-and-a-small-snack model.