SOOOO SICK of chicken!!

Options

Replies

• geebusuk
    geebusuk Posts: 3,348 Member
    Options
    500g of extra lean (5% fat) mince (ground beef).
    300-500g of pasta sauce from a jar.
    Spaghetti to meet carb/calorie requirements.
    Cheese if I'm feeling indulgent.
    If I use 200g of weight watchers cheese that's my entire day's protein requirements (160g) in one meal :).

However, you should perhaps be a little bit more specific about the macros you're looking for per meal :).
  • BeLightYear
    BeLightYear Posts: 1,450 Member
    Options
    Why are you eating so much chicken?? There are tons of other lean/healthy meats, lean beef, lean turkey, lean pork, fish………..Don't get stuck in the "chicken is the only lean healthy meat" rut!:noway:
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    Pork, fish, lean beef, lean lamb, shellfish, tofu, eggs.... you don't have to live on chicken!!
  • jlynjack
    Options
    Shrimp lettuce wraps! Marinate the shrimp in soy sauce, lime, salt, pepper, and garlic powder (add red pepper flakes for heat).
  • Jelaan
    Jelaan Posts: 815 Member
    Options
    Lol were you eavesdropping in my kichen tonight? I even said something about sprouting feathers too. We eat way too much chicken too. We don't eat pork, 2 of our family of 5 won't eat fish or shrimp, most beef is too expensive for our budget, one won't eat regular pasta, and so on and so on. Thinking of something for dinner every night drives me crazy. That is why I love reading what all of you post, you all have great ideas and give me inspiration for different meals. Now if I could just convince the kids (and my hubby) to eat different stuff lol.
  • Mom0819
    Mom0819 Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    You'll think you are eating a wonderful Italian meal!

Italian @#%$&! With Mushrooms and Spinach

1 lb boneless skinless chicken cutlet (4-6 breasts)
    1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
    1/4 teaspoon pepper
    2 tablespoons olive oil
    6 ounces fresh spinach leaves (½ - ¾ lb.)
    ¼ cup white wine (I don’t use this)
    1 cup sliced mushrooms – (2 cups, or two packages)
    1 garlic clove (finely chopped) (I use lots more)
    14 1/2 ounces crushed tomatoes (Large 28 oz. can)
    4 ounces fresh mozzarella cheese (sliced thinly) (More)
    I sprinkle lots of shredded mozzarella cheese on top, not
    fresh

Mix together spinach, crushed tomatoes, mushrooms and garlic

Season both sides of chicken with salt and pepper while waiting for sauté pan to heat.
    Place olive oil in pan and swirl to coat bottom.
    Lightly brown chicken on one side.
    Turn chicken and add remaining ingredients (except cheese) and cover.
    Let cook about 5 minutes or until chicken is done.
    Remove from heat and top chicken with cheese slices.
    Cover and let stand for a couple minutes until cheese melts.

I bake it, covered (maybe 45 min. at 350º) then sprinkle the cheese on top and continue to cook uncovered until the cheese browns.
  • neveragain84
    neveragain84 Posts: 534 Member
    Options
    Turkey is a good alternative. So is fish. Tilapia is one of my favorites. Pan cooked with lime juice and served with asparagus... Yum!
  • Joannah700
    Joannah700 Posts: 2,665 Member
    Options
    I know it's chicken, but you'd think it was teriyaki beef.

9755.jpg
  • HeidiCooksSupper
    HeidiCooksSupper Posts: 3,831 Member
    Options
    There are a lot of good things to do with lean pork cuts like a loin roast or center cut pork chops.

I alternate between poultry, beef, and pork with a few meatless meals thrown in.

^^This. Hubby's not into seafood much so I have shrimp as a snack.

We keep sausage/hot dogs/etc. to a minimum but otherwise enjoy all the meats. The trick is to go lean and weigh the servings. Tonight we had pulled pork. Where we get the pork shoulder, most of the fat cap is cut off already. After I cooked it, I let it come down to a temperature I could handle and shredded it, throwing away all the remaining fat. This I stored in 6 oz. baggies (to feed the two of us) and froze it. Then, on a night like tonight, I can just nuke it and add some barbecue sauce. Yummers.

When a lean beef cut like round is on sale, I buy a bunch of it, cut it into 8 oz. pieces (for the two of us), wrap each piece in saran and then foil and freeze it. It's good for everything from soup to stir fry, or even marinated and cooked like a steak and sliced very thin.

We also buy thin loin pork chops and freeze them in pairs, wrapped first in saran and then foil.

Watching the sales and buying "family sized" trays of meat saves money and means we always have some choices in the freezer. I do the same sort of thing with chicken and loose sausage. We do all this with a small top-of-the-fridge freezer.
  • Falcon
    Falcon Posts: 853 Member
    Options
    go with fish, lemon, dill, rosemary and crushed basil leaves
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,151 Member
    Options
    Ground turkey is awesome and you can do so much with it. Turkey meatballs or turkey burgers. WHERES THE BEEF? I love beef, nothing wrong with beef.
  • lildynarider
    lildynarider Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys I've been going with chicken for far too long. It is sometimes just easier to slap it on the grill or in the pan and not think. I just make a large batch for the week. I've thought about fish but didn't know how it was as a left over. I think there are a few suggestions that I can work with for the quick thing with the fish though. Beef is always a fav at our house, but it always seems to be accompanied by high fat sides like baked potato loaded and yummy sauteed mushrooms. I always forget about pork. Ok re-motivated here. Thanks for the input!
  • SarcasmIsMyLoveLanguage
    SarcasmIsMyLoveLanguage Posts: 2,668 Member
    Options
    If you have access to salmon, it's in season right now. Very fast to cook and very good for you
  • ndrn1959
    ndrn1959 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Hi
    Try any morning star veggie burgers and "chicken" patties. They are a good source of protein and good tasting. Hang in there
  • rowanstuff
    Options
    Firm Tofu. Lean pork is "The Other White Meat". Beans and Rice have protein. Turkey breast or ground turkey. Dog.
  • Phoenix__Rising
    Phoenix__Rising Posts: 9,981 Member
    Options
    I've gone very basic. Can you substitute it with turkey?
    I eat eggs instead of actual meat lately. I grew less
    tolerant of red meat altogether. There are still good
    things, it's just what you're open to. :)
  • nicsflyingcircus
    nicsflyingcircus Posts: 2,585 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys I've been going with chicken for far too long. It is sometimes just easier to slap it on the grill or in the pan and not think. I just make a large batch for the week. I've thought about fish but didn't know how it was as a left over. I think there are a few suggestions that I can work with for the quick thing with the fish though. Beef is always a fav at our house, but it always seems to be accompanied by high fat sides like baked potato loaded and yummy sauteed mushrooms. I always forget about pork. Ok re-motivated here. Thanks for the input!

Why are sauteed mushrooms high fat? I do half a pound with 1tsp olive oil.
  • JasmineJYJ
    Options
    I could never get tired of chicken! I love it lol and these recipes are so good yum! I'm gonna try some ! Try fish tho my dad makes this Italian baked fish it's amazing and pretty simple
    Get some salmon season with a little salt and pepper and also a bit of olive oil,add couple cloves of garlic,basil and some Italian mixed herbs oh and squeeze some lime or lemon juice and bake till it's cooked how you like it and it tastes real good and It's so simple!
  • SnuggleSmacks
    SnuggleSmacks Posts: 3,731 Member
    Options
    Seafood. Talapia and flounder are super cheap and quick. Shrimp, crab, scallops, lobster, crawfish, whatever... Swordfish, Mahi Mahi, cod, hake, etc. etc. etc. You can season them a million different ways, and they're all extremely low in calories and high in protein.
  • alfiedn
    alfiedn Posts: 425 Member
    Options
    Moqueca is great as a leftover. I make a big batch and the fish stays excellent all week. I've also gotten really into rice and beans here, my husband loves the "taco" ounces I just did. We do it up like a taco. Rice, black beans, corn, diced tomatoes, taco seasoning done in the rice cooker.

I'm a pescatarian (but more on the vegetarian side) so almost all the meals I choose don't have meat of any kind. A few have fish. We just made zucchini enchiladas as a casserole. And I'm in the process of black bean burgers.