No carb diet

Options
I've been reading a lot on no carb diets and I haven't got anywhere. Everyone says something different. Can someone please tell me if they're healthy? I read that there are symptoms when doing a no carb diet, is this true?

Replies

• tiptoethruthetulips
    tiptoethruthetulips Posts: 3,360 Member
    Options
    A no carb diet is pretty much impossible unless you just eat meat and fat, do you mean a low carb diet?

Some people have great success with a low carb diet, others not, depends on you and your body. Some people will tell you they are healthy, some will tell you they are not...its one of those things that greats a lot of debate.

Some people suffer what they call a 'carb flu' in the first few days to a week of a low carb diet.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    I've been reading a lot on no carb diets and I haven't got anywhere. Everyone says something different. Can someone please tell me if they're healthy? I read that there are symptoms when doing a no carb diet, is this true?
    Ño, it's not a healthy diet. You can lose weight that way, but it's not healthy.

http://www.fitness.gov/eat-healthy/how-to-eat-healthy/
  • skylark94
    skylark94 Posts: 2,036 Member
    Options
    I'd rather be overweight than give up carbs....seriously. Fortunately, I've lost a lot of weight while keeping my carb marcos at about 50%.
  • starrylioness
    starrylioness Posts: 543 Member
    Options
    Fruits and veggies even have carbs. How are you even managing that?

I have PCOS and hypothyroidism and I eat carbs and guess what? I have lost over 100 lbs.
  • happyfeetrebel1
    happyfeetrebel1 Posts: 1,005 Member
    Options
    This really is a 'hot topic' question around here. There are so many people who still believe that low carb is unhealthy. I'd simply suggest that you do your own research. Don't believe the fearmongering websites or those with an agenda, look for legit ones.

That being said, I have severe pancreas issues and have been living pretty low carb for 3 years. I'm the healthiest I've EVER been. I can't eat rice, pasta or bread. My carbs (not many though) come from veggies and fruit. Maybe the occasional chocolate, but then I just feel terrible. My body cannot handle that sugar.

Good luck in your endeavors :)
  • CLFrancois
    CLFrancois Posts: 472 Member
    Options
    If you meant white processed less healthy carbs, of course cutting those would be fine.
    If you meant all carbs, including beans, veggies and anything else that falls in carb-land, probably not going to do well in the long-long run.

Carbs=energy, they are the bodies main source of fuel.
  • mo11ybloom
    Options
    I've lost 30 lbs on a low-carb, high-fat ketogenic diet. It doesn't work for everyone (you have to be disciplined) but it IS healthy if done the right way. Check out this article for a list of benefits: http://www.nature.com/ejcn/journal/v67/n8/full/ejcn2013116a.html

It works, for me at least, because I'm never hungry, and I rarely have to count calories. That's not to say that I don't have to eat at a deficit - I do - but it's very difficult for me to overeat because the food is so satiating. Steak with butter, creamed spinach, bacon and eggs, bacon cheeseburgers (without the bun), guacamole, and full-fat anything. I never feel deprived. My calorie limit is 1600/day, but I usually hover around 1400 and average 2-3 lbs lost per week.

There are definitely naysayers, but do your own research and give it a try. It's worked for a lot of people, and studies show that people who lose weight via a low carb diet tend to maintain their weight loss for longer than those who do low-fat.
  • snjohnston
    snjohnston Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    This is a very controversial subject on these forums. I have been doing the DASH diet for 4.5 months and have had great success. Basically, it's not a "diet", it's a healthier lifestyle. Essentially you start with a 2 week carb-ish free meal plan then adjust to adding in healthy carbs from fruits and whole grains. As a previous, self-proclaimed carboholic, I have been able to remove the white, processed carbs from my diet. Occassionally I get a craving for chocolates and I allow myself 1 or 2 dove dark chocolate minis. Honestly, it's been the greatest success I've ever had at weight loss and healthier eating. The first 2 weeks showed me that I don't need a bun with my burger or feel deprived. I now incorporate tons of veggies into my eating plan, which is totally new to me. Good luck in whatever you do!
  • bradsbaby1996
    bradsbaby1996 Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    I have been low carb (10-15 a day) for 11 months.. it is definitely sustainable and is how I plan to live from now on. I have lost 110 pounds and am maintaining it.. I had severe health problems at 34 including major depression, fibromyalgia, sleep apnea, carpal tunnel, plantar fasciitis and acid reflux.. all of my health problems have been corrected and I no longer take any medication!
  • evhnm
    evhnm Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I meant low carb, as in bread and pastas, not vegetables. Sorry for the confusion, thanks for the answers!
  • happyfeetrebel1
    happyfeetrebel1 Posts: 1,005 Member
    Options
    I meant low carb, as in bread and pastas, not vegetables. Sorry for the confusion, thanks for the answers!

If you're eating bread and pasta, you're not eating low carb, and yes, your body will be fine without those.

Just get your carb fix from veggies and fruits.
  • gmallan
    gmallan Posts: 2,099 Member
    Options

I think that's what causes a lot of the confusion. People say that they don't eat carbs but what they really mean is that they don't eat complex or refined carbs. Just a lack of understanding of what has carbs and what doesn't.
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    It depends on your goals. And it depends on what works for you.
    I do not eat grains like wheat and corn but do eat rice occasionally and lots of beans and lentils and nuts -- those have carbs.
    Generally, when you cut something out, you need to add something else like more fat and oils.
  • Athijade
    Athijade Posts: 3,244 Member
    Options
    Is it dangerous? No.

Is there any reason to do it unless you have a medical reason to watch carb intake? No.

It is no better or worst then any other way of eating. This is one of those cases where you should do what you feel will help you the most. Weight loss comes from a calorie deficit. That's it.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,943 Member
    Options
    Why low carb though? It's not a magic diet. The basic of weight loss is to eat less calories than you burn. Therefore:

****You will lose weight on low carb if you eat below your total daily energy expenditure
    ****You will maintain weight on low carb if you eat at your total daily energy expenditure
    ****You will gain weight on low carb if you eat above your total daily energy expenditure

Seriously, there is no magic in the low carb diet, or any other diet for that matter. Type of diet is all about personal preference only. Nothing more, nothing less.
  • SnuggleSmacks
    SnuggleSmacks Posts: 3,732 Member
    Options
    Some people do find that they have an easier time maintaining a caloric deficit when they cut out higher calorie foods like bread, pasta, grains, beans, potatoes, etc. However, those same people often have a difficult time meeting their fiber requirements without those foods.
  • SandyBVTN
    SandyBVTN Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    For me, personally, low carb diets work well for weight loss and I do find myself less hungry in general (most likely because my blood sugar remains stable).

Having said that, low carb (like others have said, no such thing as no carb), is not a reasonable long term lifestyle for me and I always end up gaining the weight back quickly.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options

I think that's what causes a lot of the confusion. People say that they don't eat carbs but what they really mean is that they don't eat complex or refined carbs. Just a lack of understanding of what has carbs and what doesn't.
    Or they just mean they don't eat starches. I keep seeing people saying bread and pasta are "simple carbs".

It's nutty.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    Some people do find that they have an easier time maintaining a caloric deficit when they cut out higher calorie foods like bread, pasta, grains, beans, potatoes, etc. However, those same people often have a difficult time meeting their fiber requirements without those foods.
    Not me. I get the fiber from leafy greens usually.

For me: greens and legumes, yes. Definitely on my "go to" list. Grains a bit less.
  • raeesa07
    raeesa07 Posts: 54
    Options
    From my experience they are hard to follow but I lost weight the quickest this way. It puts your body into ketosis (fat-burning mode)