New Member Introduction

Options
Hello, everyone!

I have just joined MFP today in the hope of (finally!) making some big changes to my health.

I'm 24 and I've been overweight my entire life. I currently weigh about 358 pounds and carry about 52% body fat. I don't have a specific goal weight or size in mind, but I would like to get my body fat % in the 25 - 30 range, and otherwise focus my attention on cholesterol, heart rate and blood pressure. I have a strong family history of heart attack and stroke, as well as a number of other physical problems associated with obesity, and it's something I never, ever want to experience.

I hope that MFP will help me to find great suggestions for incorporating more vegetables into my diet, staying motivated and get a little advice on exercise.

My dream for my body is just that it will be able to do all the things I want it to do! I actually really enjoy sports, but participating is exhausting and oftentimes embarrassing, so I want to change that. I love volleyball, badminton and tennis; I'd really love to try ballroom dance, Kendo, Akido, belly dance, krav maga and aerial yoga. I also love to camp, so being able to go hiking would be amazing. I also wouldn't mind being able to spend my 5th anniversary (summer of next year) on the beach!

Edited to add: My fitness goal is to participate in a charity bike ride next year (August 2015) which spans 5 days, 80 miles per day. It is a BIG goal, but I hope I can meet the challenge.

Replies

• ghosthackexe
    ghosthackexe Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    Best of luck to you first couple of weeks are the hardest but once you make logging your food and hitting your macros second nature the weight loss becomes easier to accomplish. Just stay strong and log everything you'll be there before you know it
  • bdenitto
    bdenitto Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    Welcome,
    My husband and I both embraced cycling. It has helped us both lose quite a bit of weight. You can do this! Joining MFP is a great first step. I have learned a lot from this site and I have turned small changes into healthy habits. Feel free to add me as a friend!
    ~Becky
  • jsmerdel
    jsmerdel Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Congrats. I too have similar goals and am amazed at what just logging my diet has been able to do for me. I've fluctuated weight my entire life and at 33 hit my largest at 230 pounds (6' 1") and decided that I wasn't going to let it get worse. I've gained 35 pounds since I got a promotion that put me behind a computer all day and off my feet.

I wish you the best of luck in your goals. I think you've made some intelligent decisions that will help you greatly.
  • Justifier
    Justifier Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    I love your goal for next year!
  • I love your goal for next year!

Thank you! The ride incorporates a lot of things that I enjoy/feel passionate about, so I thought it would be the perfect goal even though it is a VERY big one =)
  • Congrats. I too have similar goals and am amazed at what just logging my diet has been able to do for me. I've fluctuated weight my entire life and at 33 hit my largest at 230 pounds (6' 1") and decided that I wasn't going to let it get worse. I've gained 35 pounds since I got a promotion that put me behind a computer all day and off my feet.

I wish you the best of luck in your goals. I think you've made some intelligent decisions that will help you greatly.

I think logging will be a bit tricky for me. In the past, I would be diligent about logging and recording for a number of days until I begin to slip up with what I'm eating. Then, I feel too angry at myself or upset/ashamed and don't write it down because "I failed!" Those few days turn into a few weeks, then months and then here I go again! I have a difficult time breaking out of the mindset that "only perfection counts". I have the same issue when it comes to exercise and it can be hard to combat that kind of rigid thinking!
  • KarrotCake11
    KarrotCake11 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Brand new...
    looking for people trying to lose 100lbs or more, for support in my journey to lose 160!
  • azolaura
    azolaura Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    The first step is the hardest, but you've already done that! Great goals, too!

As many have said, just logging what you eat can have a huge impact. You suddenly see where all those calories were coming from.

Feel free to friend me! I have about 100 to lose myself, so I'm in this for the long haul, too!
  • jsmerdel
    jsmerdel Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Congrats. I too have similar goals and am amazed at what just logging my diet has been able to do for me. I've fluctuated weight my entire life and at 33 hit my largest at 230 pounds (6' 1") and decided that I wasn't going to let it get worse. I've gained 35 pounds since I got a promotion that put me behind a computer all day and off my feet.

I think logging will be a bit tricky for me. In the past, I would be diligent about logging and recording for a number of days until I begin to slip up with what I'm eating. Then, I feel too angry at myself or upset/ashamed and don't write it down because "I failed!" Those few days turn into a few weeks, then months and then here I go again! I have a difficult time breaking out of the mindset that "only perfection counts". I have the same issue when it comes to exercise and it can be hard to combat that kind of rigid thinking!

I get that. I ate meat for the first time in a year last night in a meal that was 1570 calories by itself. As I logged it I felt disgusted. But whats done is done. I felt myself getting upset about it and when I stepped on the scale this morning and saw the +2 lbs I got angry. But I took a deep breath. My problem has always been patience. This is a long journey and I need to learn that there will be days I am not perfect. My plan is to limit those days and try like hell to eliminate them. As my habits and diet get better the risk for those bad days will diminish. I suffer from the "F**k It's". Once something fails to be perfect I just walk away. But I'm working on it. Be honest and don't stop. I got over my disappointment this morning and I'm ready to move forward putting that bad day behind me.

Exercise isn't any better. I have to really get on myself to get on the treadmill and do what I know I need to do. Sometimes I only do it so that I make room in my calorie intake for a couple beers. It's my reward. Like a dog with a treat I'm teaching myself tricks. lol.

My point I guess is that you're not alone. This is all very unnatural for me I'm sure for others as well. If you have a bad day, don't cheat, don't be ashamed, just log it in and move on. I' feel like a learned a lesson yesterday and that lesson was that I don't that feeling again and I will think a little harder before I make the same decision again. Football season is starting and that means afternoons of pizza and beer. It's going to be a long season.